riding the clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
is it bad? i do it all the time, like if im going slow in a parking lot behind some slowpoke in a car ill throttle up to match their speed and hold the clutch in until i slow down then give it more gas and so on. regular riding i throttle up all the way until i reach desired speed, hold the clutch in until i slow down slower than desired speed and repeat the process.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Riding the clutch on any vehicle is not a good thing. It increases wear and shortens the life of the clutch components. Friction and heat are generated and the clutch friction surfaces are effected. Try to avoid it to lengthen the life of the parts.
Tom

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
"riding the clutch" to my knowledge comes from old car language where the clutch spring would wear out after a while, old timers are still afraid that the new springs will do this so they encourage putting your car in neutral to coast instead of holding the clutch in.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Unless your racing a clutch should be used for only 2 things starting off and shifting up or down. Ive even seen a few truck drivers who didnt believe in using a clutch just speed shifting up or down, thing is they didnt own the truck and didnt have to pay to replace the gears when they failed prematurely.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Unless your racing a clutch should be used for only 2 things starting off and shifting up or down. Ive even seen a few truck drivers who didnt believe in using a clutch just speed shifting up or down, thing is they didnt own the truck and didnt have to pay to replace the gears when they failed prematurely.

Heh heh.

I have driven everything from a VW Rabbitt to an 80,000 pound truck and several hundred thousand miles, and I almost never use the clutch.

It's a simple matter of matching engine speed to the vehicle speed. It is actually easier on the vehicle when done right.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heh heh.

I have driven everything from a VW Rabbitt to an 80,000 pound truck and several hundred thousand miles, and I almost never use the clutch.

It's a simple matter of matching engine speed to the vehicle speed. It is actually easier on the vehicle when done right.
note: This is very true, but some newer cars don't like it (Toyotas are... tricky). It can be done - but I'd advise learnin' it on one you don't care about lol

Lost the throwout bearing on my ol' army jeep - drove it for almost a year by speed shiftin' and using the starter for first and reverse :D THAT I wouldn't recommend tryin' in any civilian car lol

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
first, nice name. :)

Riding the clutch is ok. If the clutch is IN or OUT it is ok. 1/2 way for extended periods of time is not good and result in wear.....mr hunt :D
Yes... thats what I'm talking about!
I use the engine to help slow me down & pull the clutch in just before I stop, & I use the pedals to get up to speed & let the clutch out so it's not slipping & wearing out.

My clutches (& brakes) last forever this way!!! ;)