Any Welders For Hire in L.A.? It's Almost Time.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Look'ín great Mike

sorry to hear about the axle snag but in the words of PETE SEEGER (RIP)

i am sure

you shall overcome
I did overcome with a HSS thread tap that barely survived long enough for me to overcome. I tapped the nuts to 24 TPI just fine, but the bearing cups annihilated that HSS tap when it was all said and done. .spr.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
At least you now know the bearing cups are made from properly hardened steel ;)
The tap was almighty "High Speed Steel" though. It made no difference against those cups. It was pretty much flattened. However the heat treated steel cups didn't stand a chance against me and my heat treated axle. LOL dance1

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
At least you now know the bearing cups are made from properly hardened steel ;)
Dang I accidently used a cheap Chinese carbon steel tap that I was replacing with a new USA made HSS tap, thinking it was the HSS tap that I just bought. No wonder its thread flattened like a pancake. I just found the new tap in my pocket. I made my life h3ll for nothing.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
A BRAND NEW HSS Thread Tap vs Hardened (Heat Treated) Steel Bearing Cups of the front axle? 5 minutes into Round 1 the fight was stopped due to a K.O. of the HSS Tap snapping in half inside the bearing cup.

None of the above matters anymore cause the front wheel is now mounted on its 10" wide axle.................4 hours later.

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Glad to hear your wheel is now mounted sorry for pain of getting it done.

THE ETERNAL BATTLE of man and machine -- maybe that is where we are heading -
in the future world of robots and implanted human chips etc.. do or die ...march or die!!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Glad to hear your wheel is now mounted sorry for pain of getting it done.

THE ETERNAL BATTLE of man and machine -- maybe that is where we are heading -
in the future world of robots and implanted human chips etc.. do or die ...march or die!!
My axle battle is over. My welding, cutting and grinding, 4th of July spark show is almost over. My final 2 tubes arrived today. I can finally see the light at the end of this tunnel and it's getting brighter and brighter by the day.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
great mike

now i see where you were going with your reverse rear dropout - was not sure if it was going to carry a suspension spring or???

looks good

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
great mike

now i see where you were going with your reverse rear dropout - was not sure if it was going to carry a suspension spring or???

looks good
I was but I want to keep it as simple as possible using chains on both sides of the rear wheel. It would be a major pain to do a swing arm with dual chains and I just didn't want to go there with that kinda setup.

Every flex of that swing arm would slack the chains differently and the chain tensioners would have to be lightning fast to respond to that slack.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Are you planning to add seat stays?

You have a nice parallelogram there in the back. 2 triangles would be much stronger.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Are you planning to add seat stays?

You have a nice parallelogram there in the back. 2 triangles would be much stronger.
Seat stays? In the conventional sense? Not unless I absolutely have to. The frame only needs to be as strong as the forces exerted on it. It's not towing a boat behind it and 2 triangles do equal a box, which is what I have now.

The frames tubing diameter and wall thickness already far exceeds any bicycle frame ever made by any bike maker. The frame alone already weighs as much as some entire bikes do.

I will be adding 3 more Gussets in critical areas of the frame though.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Looks good man! Good Job! Really starting dig those tiresdnut
Thanks Goat. All I know about the tires is that the tread lasts forever on a motorcycle and that they hold the street well, regardless of the streets condition.

I simply do not want to feel the street like I did on my last bike. If I could levitate the bike completely off the street and go wheel-less then I would in a heartbeat. laff

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
mike 8 mike b has a very good bit of advice
took my 7 year old to the museum of science at exposition park near Figueroa last weekend had a construction exhibit -hands on -pertaining to earthquakes
about six 1X2 foot sections of sheet steel with a board screwed in on top
one was all parallel pieces and another had cross pieces making the square spaces triangles first one shook side to side the triangled one was solid as a rock -- triangles!!! reminds me of mid 60's saw and heard Buckminster Fuller (one of my heroes) at Hunter College NYC do a slide presentation- a life highlite =geodesic domes =dymaxian car
he had it down -triangles are natures strongest shape!!!! super duper glass threaded bondo or not I would put a few cross braces in you rear wheel section
best

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Unlike my last bike, I don't plan on this bike ever becoming airborne, no matter what I run over in the road. Unless it's something huge lying dead on the road.

The tubing in the back of the bike is all 1" in diameter cause that is as small a tube as my bender does. It's obnoxiously huge even for my likes. I just need to reinforce it a bit and see how it does.