Good kits that dont go over 30 mph 48km/h

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Any 66cc kit will be under 30mph with proper gearing.
Just ditch the stock 44 tooth rear gear and get a bigger sprocket.
ANY engine can be speed limited this way...

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I have a 56T sprocket on a 29" wheel. That's equivalent to a 50T on a 26". I top out at about 28MPH on a 66cc.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'd fake it.
Who is the state to limit my power? This is The Land of the Free, and The Home of the HEMI!
When cops start driving smart cars, I'll submit to a power limit.
(no I won't)
:)
Fight the power!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You could find one of the Chinese atv twist grip or thumb throttles that allow you to set a stop to control how much gas you can give it.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey guys i live in wisconsin so the limit for motor bikes is 30 mph or 48 km/h
Are there any good kits that go under that?
Thanks
http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com/about_usmilwaukee_journal_article

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
DOT3 2003
Office of General Counsel
4802 Sheboygan Ave., Rm. 115B
P.O. Box 7910
Madison, WI 53707-7910
Telephone: 608-266-8810
FAX: 608-267-6734
E-mail: [email protected]
Jim Doyle
Governor
Frank J. Busalacchi
Secretary
www.dot.wisconsin.gov
October 31, 2008
Lynn Rietzke
Custom Motored Bicycles
6301 Parkview Road
Greendale WI 53129
[email protected]

Dear Ms. Rietzke,

I read with interest your story in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online by Julie Becker dated October 29, 2008.

Everything written in the story sounds great. Your website, however, boasts of vehiclespeeds of “35+ miles per hour”.

Please be careful to keep the maximum speed at 30 mph or lower.

If your vehicles become capableof exceeding 30 mph they lose their legal status as “motor bicycles” and become “motorcycles” and subjectto a range of additional requirements, including registration, motorcycle license requirements, and vehicle
dealer laws.

A rider stopped on an unregistered ‘motorcycle’ would be ticketed $161, and a rider possessing only a regular driver’s license (without a motorcycle endorsement) would be ticketed $186 and assessed 3 demerit points, costs that would make any customer very unhappy.

Also, please remind your buyers that although vehicle registration is not required, a valid regular driver’s license is required to operate a motorbicycle.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this letter or about the laws applicable to your vehicles.

340.01(30) "Motor bicycle" means a bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.

340.01(32) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, excluding a tractor or an all-terrain vehicle, which is capable of speeds in excess of 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, with a power source as an integral part of the vehicle, and which meets the conditions under par. (a) or (b):

(a) Type 1 is a motor vehicle which meets either of the following conditions:
1. Is designed and built with 2 wheels in tandem and a seat for the operator, and may be modified to have no more than 3 wheels by attaching a sidecar to one side of the wheels in tandem without changing the location of the power source.

343.05(3)(c)
(c) No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license issued under s. 343.135 or a restricted license issued under s. 343.08.

A license under this paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or expired.

Very truly yours,
Paul E. Nilsen
Assistant General Counsel

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm a rebel without a clue.
I simply don't understand how any American can allow the government to control something as simple and basic as a bicycle. Even with an engine.
But then again, I have problems with mindless authority.
And a prison record.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm a rebel without a clue.
I simply don't understand how any American can allow the government to control something as simple and basic as a bicycle. Even with an engine.
But then again, I have problems with mindless authority.
And a prison record.

Setting aside the political slant... another way of looking at this situation isn't so much "control(ing) something as simple and basic as a bicycle" rather an exception of control - provided only you don't grossly exceed the maximum perimeters of what is defined as a motorized bicycle you are not subject to the regulation that most other motor vehicles have, all powered street vehicles except motorized bicycles need undergo inspections, have a VIN assigned, must be registered & meet minimum lighting & safety standards even if homebuilt*.

The only other two classifications I'm aware of that share such lack of direct regulation would be sailboats (no engine) & ultralight aircraft.

I choose to relish this freedom rather than resent was has been allowed, I would never cast aspersions on someone that tried to adhere to their local regulations - even if I would disagree with the extent of that regulation or it's enforcement.

The OP wants a legal bike, there ain't a thing wrong with that ;)

*this does vary by region & some countries/areas don't have any exceptions at all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gear it low (large driven sprocket) and experiment with a mechanical throttle limiter.

I actually find no issue with the 30mph rule the OP is dealing with. It is a bicycle, not a motorcycle. It's been my experience that few builders will take the time or make the investment to upgrade critical components such as brakes, bearings, rims, spokes, etc to bring a bicycle up to the standards to make 30 plus mph safe. Yes, most of us do, but what about those who build without the advantage of the knowledge found on this forum? And guys, there are a lot of them out there.

I've seen bikes motorized by inexperienced and non-mechanical people that should have been limited to 15mph (or less) due to the lack of attention to even the most simple components or systems. It could very well be that the legislators are taking that situation into consideration when passing speed limit laws on motorized bicycles. Not everyone is capable of building a bike that would be safe at speeds above 30.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My 50 CC china girl with stock motor would barely do 30 mph with a 40T sprocket.

A lot of the mufflers coming with new kits are so choked up you'd be lucky to do 30 mph.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I personally use Staton Inc. EZ Motorbikes is another good dealer.
What does that have to do with the OP's question about the WI 30 mph limit?
Hey guys i live in wisconsin so the limit for motor bikes is 30 mph or 48 km/h
Are there any good kits that go under that?
Thanks
It is very easy to gear a 66 cc or 48 cc bicycle engine or other kits so that
they can't exceed 30 mph and it wouldn't take a 50 tooth sprocket to do it.

The standard 44 tooth sprocket will barely hit 30 mph so gearing it with
a readily available 48 tooth would make it impossible to go over 30 with a
stock kit.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What does that have to do with the OP's question about the WI 30 mph limit?

It is very easy to gear a 66 cc or 48 cc bicycle engine or other kits so that
they can't exceed 30 mph and it wouldn't take a 50 tooth sprocket to do it.

The standard 44 tooth sprocket will barely hit 30 mph so gearing it with
a readily available 48 tooth would make it impossible to go over 30 with a
stock kit.
First of all the OP asked about kits in the original question. So I mentioned a couple of good dealers to consider. These guys will even talk with you on the phone and help you with your needs.

Here is something the moderators advised me on when I first joined here: if you're going to quote statutes put the name of the state above the statutes. This eliminates confusion by other readers in other states. I'm just passing on advice which was given to me.

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
anyone got anything on a good engine kit to buy?
I am looking as well, I dont want no chinese stuff, heard it doesnt last.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
anyone got anything on a good engine kit to buy?
I am looking as well, I dont want no chinese stuff, heard it doesnt last.
I've got over 5000 miles on my Staton Inc kit with no problems so far. EZ Motorbikes is another good dealer. The extra money you'll spend is well worth it. You'll find it cheaper in the long run.