A Warning to those looking in getting a Chinese engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
I bought it from you but it is now out of warranty. if you want to extend it I would be happy though.

seeing that my warranty is gone and I don't want to spend any more money or (a ton more) time on the project I think it is time to sell the thing. I am not bashing the kit. Yes I have no motor skills but I have learned a little bit which is cool. I hope to do this some time in the future when its not my main form of transport then it won't get me so fed up. thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I bought 2 kits for a friend and me from Handhelditems and there have been little to no problems at all. The only problems I had were leaky fuel valve (fixed with some teflon tape), the exhausts needed to be bent to allow free pedal travel, and one of the kits had a problem with the carb that went away after I took it apart and resembled it. I have no hands on experience with engines and few facilities at me disposal. My dads wood shop had all the tools I needed. After about 10 hours of work we were finished with both bikes. They have driven over 100 miles each with no problems.
If I left the bikes as is I'm sure they would continue to run fine, but like many have said already, half the fun is working on these things. So many upgrades are still to come.
Good Job! These people are right, half the fun is working on these things. I could spend the majority of the time riding one of mine, but I actually have more fun working and making modifications to them. It is a Great Hobby!

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Understandably a major pain for him is needing to have a reliable form of transport at the same time as having to learn new skills and make time available for tinkering.

If I were in that frustrating position, and had a few extra bucks, I might get something like a Honda C-90 for reliable transport, taking the pressure off for the learning/tinkering/trial-and-error phase of MB skill acquisition.

The 21 million C-90s were made! They're simple, bullet proof, get 120 mpg, and reportedly can use vegetable oil in place of motor oil, if necessary.

Brenton

Check this:

Honda c90 : C90 Pictures

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
That c90 is pretty sweet. The problem is finding one I think. I looked for about a month and couldn't find any older honda scooters for decent price.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
That c90 is pretty sweet. The problem is finding one I think. I looked for about a month and couldn't find any older honda scooters for decent price.
Yeah, that's the irritating thing. Gotta go to the 3rd world to get one, pretty much, now a days.

Brenton

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Out of Warranty? It does not matter to me how long you have had the motor. If there is a problem due to a manufacturing defect, I will still replace the part , motor, or what ever, even if it is out of warranty.. I take care of my customers. Post some pictures and closeups of your install and problems. Thanks..

Last edited:

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Well here is the photo. Thanks for your help thatsdax. I probably should have called you again. Please notice that I did not attack your service or kit itself. Also I would love a replacement if that is possible. I don't know why this happened. Running lean maybe? I don't know...

Again thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
uh yeah I bet that's what was making that mysterious noise.

I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen to the bottom of the piston...

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
That is strange for sure. Send that engine block to me for a warranty replacement. Once I get your old Engine block, I will send you a new one under warranty. Thanks..

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That is strange for sure. Send that engine block to me for a warranty replacement. Once I get your old Engine block, I will send you a new one under warranty. Thanks..
Thats why us more experienced MB'rs recommend ThatsDax!!! Not to many vendors back up what they say...You are the Man Duane (^)