RALEIGH GRUV anyone put a china engine on?

GoldenMotor.com

mike

Oct 20, 2008
corpus christi texas
theres a guy sellin a used Raleigh Gruv in good shape, the bike is really cool and has an instant comfortable feel to it. The frame is stretched out and was hoping someone has allready put a china 49cc on one. I havent bought the bike just trying to see what i would get into if i did. THanx

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
The front/bottom tube looks a little over sized and spaced a bit farther out.(the flat bar by the crank as opposed to most V's
Engine front mount pins are pretty short, there may be some threads about that here, I haven't had a chance to find hem yet. Worked on a Raleigh with oversize bottom tube last night.You may be looking at a custom front mount of some kind.
Otherwise I don't really see why it wouldn't work nicely.

Based on

Good Luck!

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Where do you think he is limited to space Joe? Not to sound rude, you probably have more time in these things than myself. I'm just curious, if it is the pictured bike, besides being limited in the height range, where would he be tight for space?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm thinking the area right where the carb would mount.
Also, there is a space at the bottom...if you are to mount the engine in the "V" it is going to sit low and may have interference with the sprocket.

You need around 12" from the crank to the bottom of the top (horizontal) tube going verticle from the crank, if I'm making sense.

Somewhere on this site is a diagram with the minimum measurements for the china in-frame engine.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
If Joe says it's going to be tight it will be. What I would do is loose the stock studs and replace them with good ol' USA steel. I use Hex bolts and steel plate
Using a vice bend the steel to the angle of the motor then to the frame. Drill the steel to match the engine holes. Use Muffler clamps to secure to the frame. I use stainless. I keep a constant check on my bike everytime I ride it. Those stock studs seem to break.
I have NOT had that happen. Every motor I mount gets new studs before it touches the frame.