Gas to oil ratio?

GoldenMotor.com

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hey everyone. I know this question has probably been answered a bunch of times, but I keep seeing differences of opinion on what ratio to use for the break-in and after the break in. So far I have broken in my engine with 16:1 using Lucas Semi-synthethic High performance oil, now I am done with the break-in and I need to know the oil ratio for normal riding. The vendor that sold me the engine says the ratio should be 20:1 or 25:1 after the break in, which seems right but I have seen a few crazy numbers thrown out there from other people saying 50:1 or even higher. I'm assuming that's ok if you have a really good oil, but I'm not sure if mine is that good. If anyone can give me some suggestions on what I should mix, I do not want to run anything too lean. Keep in mind I am NOT changing the oil I use, It has been working fine for me for my Go-Ped for years.

Thanks,
Igor, a.k.a. Brian

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
What ratio do you use in your Goped?
What ratio does your Lucas oil say to use on the bottle?
What clueless vendor told you to break in with 16:1?

PS: You are gonna get told that you can't break in a motor with synthetic oil and that you should have used dino. :)

Last edited:

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
What ratio do you use in your Goped?
What ratio does your Lucas oil say to use on the bottle?
What clueless vendor told you to break in with 16:1?

PS: You are gonna get told that you can't break in a motor with synthetic oil and that you should have used dino. :)
I have 25:1 in my goped, has been running great. Not sure what the bottle says to use, I'm not able to check that at the moment. And the vendor I got from along with a few other websites say 16:1 for break in. I may consider switching to Dino eventually, but right now I'm going to try using my oil that I have, I still have a good amount left. And it's semi-synthetic, is that any different from just synthetic? Your making me nervous man, I hope I didn't mess anything up. It seems to have gained power but I'm still riding under 20 mph for now, I hope the engine is broken in enough because I've already ran 2 gallons through it and I want to move on to the normal mixture

Thanks

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I run the Lucas simi-synthetic at 32 to 1 in every two stroke I have, string trimmer, blower, chain saws and motorbikes. The wear on my oldest engine was minimal after 1500 miles last year when I disassembled it to do a few upgrades.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There are a lot of good oils to use during and after break in... Like mentioned already, 16:1 is WAY too oil rich, even for break in... 20:1 is still pretty oil rich, but more acceptable, and 24:1 or even 32:1 is perfectly safe for break in.
After break in you can use just about any good quality chainsaw/weed trimmer oil like Echo at the recommended ratio on the bottle or you can choose from several high performance oils like Amsoil, Klotz, Opti2, and others and run them at the ratio on the bottle. Some of these oils are 100:1 mix and a lot of people panic about this, but these 100:1 oils are a concentrate and they are perfectly safe to run at those ratios. Some people like to add a little bit of castor oil to their mix like maybe 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce per gallon for a little extra protection and others will run the Opti2 or Amsoil 100:1 mixes at 75:1 or even 50:1 for increased protection during extreme use like racing or extended high rpm use.
Synthetic oils do protect better than dino oils also so try and find a good synthetic brand that you can aquire easily and try to stick to the same brand and especially the same mix ratio. You can change mix ratios but when doing so you also need to re jet to compensate for the richer or leaner fuel mix.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I run the Lucas simi-synthetic at 32 to 1 in every two stroke I have, string trimmer, blower, chain saws and motorbikes. The wear on my oldest engine was minimal after 1500 miles last year when I disassembled it to do a few upgrades.
Forgot to mention Lucas... Lucas is another Excellent oil and it's easy to find at most auto parts stores.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
There are a lot of good oils to use during and after break in... Like mentioned already, 16:1 is WAY too oil rich, even for break in... 20:1 is still pretty oil rich, but more acceptable, and 24:1 or even 32:1 is perfectly safe for break in.
Since I've already used 16:1.. I will not make the same mistake again. But anyways, what is the real short and long term harm of using too much oil for a break in?
And I will be stickin to my Lucas semi-synthetic for after the break in, for now anyways. I will be running it at 32:1

Thanks guys

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Did you happen to use the Lucas semi-synthetic for the break in also? And if so what ratio did you use? Just curious. I can't change what I already did, I'm just hoping I did not cause any harm to the engine.

Thanks

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The whole point of a 'break in' is to get the rings to seat (aka wear) to the cylinder wall.
Synesthetic oils are great for preventing wear, the opposite of what you are trying to do with break in.

I just run a gallon of gas @ 25:1 (2/3 cup to gallon of gas) with whatever cheap non-syn 2-stroke oil the auto parts or hardware store has, then switch to Syn @ 32:1 (1/2 cup to a gallon of gas).

Just as important, be sure you use a torque wrench on your head to get it right.
On a 66 I run them 20# cold new, then just re-check for 20# again a few times when warm.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
FFV8,

That is very good information. Thanks for sharing. Every new 2 stroke owner should read it so they have a clear understanding of how their engines are lubricated and how to choose an oil. The point made about break-in is one I've agreed with for a long time. I've yet to see a woodsman treat a new chainsaw with baby hands. :)

I did notice that it seems to be against the use of oils "Secret Sauce" such as Opti-2.
How do you respond to those who have had long term good results using that oil and others formulated like it?

I'm certainly not trying to start another '100:1' thread. We already have pages of discussion on the pros and cons of that. I'm just curious about your personal feelings.

To other members, let's not turn this into another long argumentative thing. I posted the question to FFV8 only because of our history of agreeing on most every aspect of motorized bicycle building and maintenance. We seem to have a difference of opinion on this one subject. Maybe the '100:1' thread would be a better place to ask and possibly FFV8 would prefer to answer in that old thread. Or, he can PM me. It's up to him.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9850
Thanks.

Tom

Last edited:

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
To other members, let's not turn this into another long argumentative thing. I posted the question to FFV8 only because of our history of agreeing on most every aspect of motorized bicycle building and maintenance. We seem to have a difference of opinion on this one subject. Maybe the '100:1' thread would be a better place to ask and possibly FFV8 would prefer to answer in that old thread. It's up to him.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9850
Thanks.

Tom
yeah I ain't tryin to argue and I don't want others to argue, I just wanted to be sure what I was doing for the engine was gonna be ok. Anyone can put in their input but ultimately it is up to me to decide what I'm gonna b feeding my engine. and FFV8, thanks for that thread, it was helpful.

Thanks everyone,

Igor, a.k.a. Brian

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
trainwreck the oil mixture ratio can move the air fuel ratio around.

try 20:1 then 30:1 then 40:1 for 20 minutes each. when it runs the best the jetting must be correct for that ratio. with that knowelege you can adjust the jetting to better suite your oil supply and ratio.
you probly know that but it is extremly effective when extra jets dont grow on trees.
your answer really depends on specific oil.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Brian, don't worry how you broke it in with semi-syn at 16:1.....there are no ill effects. You're running 32:1 now and that's just fine and Lucas is good stuff.

Many people say don't break in with full synthetic, a few others will say it's no prob. It certainly wont hurt an engine but the rings may not seat as well and as quickly if you start with petroleum based oil.

Out of curiosity, what GoPed engines are you running? I do know in fact the the GP460 (CY 46) does need a 25:1 mixture or else. Ask me how I know ;)

scotto-

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Brian, don't worry how you broke it in with semi-syn at 16:1.....there are no ill effects. You're running 32:1 now and that's just fine and Lucas is good stuff.

Many people say don't break in with full synthetic, a few others will say it's no prob. It certainly wont hurt an engine but the rings may not seat as well and as quickly if you start with petroleum based oil.

Out of curiosity, what GoPed engines are you running? I do know in fact the the GP460 (CY 46) does need a 25:1 mixture or else. Ask me how I know ;)

scotto-
I have a CY 27 on my goped sport running the same lucas oil 25:1, yeah
i would never run anything else in the ped. I have had no problems with that thing, for a little 27cc that thing screams with my hp carb and sikk torque pipe. doesnt go as fast as the motorbike but it accelerates waay faster .wee.