Help needed - Won't start

GoldenMotor.com

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
Hey everyone, I could really use some help. I have a new DAX 2-stroke that has decided to quit on me. I ran it for almost 2 full tanks, had some issues getting it to idle properly and finally got that straightened out. Rode it to work about a week and a 1/2 ago and because it was idling correctly I had to use the kill switch to turn it off. This was about a 4.5 mile ride. Went to start it that afternoon and it wouldn't fire.

I have swapped plugs and plug wires, new magnet and new CDI. I also have disconnected the kill switch. I am definitely getting spark. I spoke with Duane and he recommended I put a little of my pre-mix in the spark plug hole, replace the spark plug and see if it will fire up for a second. This did not work. I am at a complete loss of what to do next. Thanks in advance.

Kelly

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I'm not even sure what that means. I had never messed with a motor before this project. I have though, been lurking here and reading everything I could to understand what was going on. The only thing a quick search on magneto timing told me was to make sure I put it in with the right side out. I am going to go flip it now.

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
have you got everything wired up? once i had my wires not connected properly and it was still had a spark but not firing. Do you have compression? are you getting fuel ? clean your carby out? just a couple of guesses. how did it stop? just died?

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
Everything is wired correctly. I have compression, just not sure how much I should have. I can feel it sucking in when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole. I killed it with the kill switch to park it at work and it hasn't started back up since.

Reversing the magneto didn't work.

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
earth the kill switch wire out with some tape so it doesn’t short out with the frame. so it has been working with your new magnet ?

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
Spark is good, the plug isn't wet, but I put gas right into the plug hole, replaced the plug and it still wouldn't fire

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
well there is only three problems. Compression, fuel , or not getting a spark. if these 3 are right, you said it wouldn’t work after you used the kill switch and it was running perfectly before that. so try these three problems and if they are fine i don’t know what it is. see if your magneto is in the right position. just check all your cables. this is all i know that would be the problem

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You say that you replaced the magnet. Did you install it right side out? If you install it backwards you will still get spark, but the ignition timing will be way off.

Correct is when the keyway is in the 1o'clock position. Remove the nut and washer from the magnet and take a look.

Last edited:

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I reversed the Mag last night just in case, but it really doesn't fit correctly that way and didn't make a differance. I'm going to take the carb apart and clean the main jet, maybe I flooded it out when I tried putting gas in the spark plug hole. I can't see anything else that would be an issue. Mag, CDI, plug and wire replaced and piston is moving freely.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I mis-read your post GearNut. I couldn't find anything about the timing key through searching, thank you. I did not replace the magnet, just the coil. I will check the timing when I get home, although I have never removed that nut and I checked to make sure it was tight last night.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The mag coil also can be installed backwards. This can cause the wire terminals of the mag to contact the engine case. Looking at the front of the mag where the wires connect to it, the white wire should be on the bottom.