Bodywork on the 9.4hp Morini 'SS' bike, now it looks as good as it goes!

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
40+mph isn't that uncommon a speed to hit even with a HT (peak downhill ofc) & sure, it's a lil sketchy on a bicycle but all you really need are good rims, tires, spokes & hubs properly trued with well packed bearings and definitely some good brakes. Wheel tracking front & rear is also defo a priority - if it's even a lil off you'll start "wagging tail" (back of bike starts to oscillate) which is bad enough but worse yet it usually starts to happen in a turn, particularly long, gentle curves... bad news lol

It's a lil different than the dreaded "tank slapper" which is usually caused by out of true/unbalanced wheels, usually the front. It's more common on motorcycles with heavier wheelsets and speeds in excess of 60mph, this problem will happen even going straight & worse yet, won't stop until you're well below the speed it started at. All controversy about the effectiveness of balancing bicycle wheels, if you are considering a build that might consistently go in excess of 40mph, I'd defo recommend balancing them anyway - better to do something you think is unnecessary than to find out it is necessary at speed.

Now... about this 70mph business... forgive me but that I'm gonna need to see some hard evidence to accept even with the 9hp Morini lol, wind resistance is an unforgiving exponential equation and custom recumbent salt flat bikes with full aerodynamic shells, six-speed transmissions, & fueled by methanol and nitrous oxide aside - you're talking about record speeds for the limited A-G (altered-gasoline) 50cc class heh, while they've reached it - I just don't see it happening with a retrofitted bicycle... yer talkin' about playing w/the big boys now heh: COBRA KING 50 SETS CLASS SPEED RECORD

Ofc, I'd love it if ya'll proved me wrong (^)

I'd like to add that all the above is assuming good paved conditions - hit any irregularity at 40mph+ with a bicycle and it could be all over, there's just not enough weight & gyroscopic force to insure stability...

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice bike man (^)

Still, I gotta point out that there's a difference between a still shots of recorded max speeds achieved (peak) and a validated, sustained max speed like a vid of a GPS as you ride or even a chase car's speedometer. While a car's speedometer has a margin of error - the point being that you can reach a speed on flat ground and hold that speed consistently.

All else is subject to skepticism due to the frequency of inaccurately calibrated bicycle speedometers and unknown environmental conditions like hills and even tailwinds - as if you've a 10mph tailwind that's an easy 10mph to your top speed... for the moment *shrug* They compensate for winds on the salt flats by requiring a minimum of two runs, one with and one against the wind and then average the two.

Bear in mind that in no way am I trying to imply that you're being anything other than truthful as you've not claimed anything other than a peak max speed, all I'm saying is to reach a speed and hold it is another matter entirely, and a far more challenging one at that. Also, while it's conceivable that a 9hp Morini, naturally aspirated and running pump gas, may be capable of reaching even 70mph - on a bicycle with it's drag coefficient it's going to be a daunting challenge to say the least, that we're starting to talk about speeds that set records and not necessarily something that can be done by your average DIYer - that just HP alone won't necessarily get ya there as this is where the fight really is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_physics... and that;

"Ofc, I'd love it if ya'll proved me wrong" :)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Now... about this 70mph business... forgive me but that I'm gonna need to see some hard evidence to accept even with the 9hp Morini lol, wind resistance is an unforgiving exponential equation and custom recumbent salt flat bikes with full aerodynamic shells, six-speed transmissions, & fueled by methanol and nitrous oxide aside - you're talking about record speeds for the limited A-G (altered-gasoline) 50cc class heh, while they've reached it - I just don't see it happening with a retrofitted bicycle... yer talkin' about playing w/the big boys now heh: COBRA KING 50 SETS CLASS SPEED RECORD

Ofc, I'd love it if ya'll proved me wrong (^)

I'd like to add that all the above is assuming good paved conditions - hit any irregularity at 40mph+ with a bicycle and it could be all over, there's just not enough weight & gyroscopic force to insure stability...[/QUOTE]

I am apt to believe the 70 mph on an bicycle theory . And the reason being , that I knew an guy who was going through some marriage and other problems in his life . So he decides to go on an trip to the Skyline Drive Parkway of the blue ridge mountains . Not only did he peddled all the way from Richmond Virginia , he went on an 50 mile round trip on the parkway . Of a matter of fact he used to box professionally in Norfolk Virginia . He had an advanced speedo on the bike . He said he reached the speed of 70 on his ten speed racer going downhill on the mountain roads ( and that’s without an motor on it ) . If you ever did meet this guy you would believe anything he said ! He was gone for months . And ill close by saying , you will just have to trust me on this one

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think it might be better on a stretch frame for stability, long wh.base like a motorcycle

kawasaki

Jan 11, 2009
seminole fl.
The fact is the bike will now hit 57.6 mph its is geared taller now. I am not crazy enough to try to substane that kind of speed on a bicycle, the gps dont lie, and my speedo reads 1/10 of a mile an hour slower. There is many on this forum that has rode with me and will back my claim.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Kicking - why would I not?;

Austria’s Markus Stoeckl, 33, set a world record for series mountain bikes on a renovated high-speed La Parva run in Chile’s Andes mountains when he hit a speed of 210.4 km/h (130.7 mph.) He shattered an eight-year-old record by an incredible 23 km/h (14 mph.)
130 mph Downhill Speed Record! - Mountain Bike Videos - MTBonTV

kawasaki - If you'll note, I didn't dispute your recorded peak speed o_O

I think, if you guys read what I posted here - you'll find that in fact the aspects of this debate you've chosen to defend, I've not tried to refute in any way.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Case in point: If you'll examine these pics and ask yourself what do they mean? Still shots of recorded maximum speeds taken at face value - that the belt drive rack mount setup is at least 10mph faster than the others? Does it mean my 'ol cruiser with nothin' but a lil 66cc HT is faster than nidyanazo's 9hp Morini?

Does it even mean I think people are up to shenanigans?

Of course not - all these pics show is the maximum peak speed the bike reached. Which, without knowing the conditions of that max speed - mean little when discussing performance. I'm pretty sure even my old bike could easily reach 120-200mph... were I to jump it out of the back of an airplane lol In fact all I said was that for a 50cc Morini powered bicycle to reach 70mph would be "a daunting challenge", that "to reach a speed and hold it is another matter entirely", that "you're talking about record speeds for the limited A-G (altered-gasoline) 50cc class", and that "just HP alone won't necessarily get ya there"... and ofc that "I'd love it if ya'll proved me wrong".

I had hoped this would lead to a discussion about aerodynamics, even perhaps the intricacies of horsepower vs torque and the limitations of gearing - maybe even leading into what Wagner Racing had done to their 50cc to set a record of 74.8mph for the A-G class at the Bonneville Salt Flats... but I guess from what's being said here that they must not be trying very hard, that 70mph on a bicycle is no big deal?

*shrug* I hope that it's understood that I sincerely do hope someone here breaks that record - how epic would that be? ;)

Attachments

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Kicking - why would I not?;

kawasaki - If you'll note, I didn't dispute your recorded peak speed o_O

I think, if you guys read what I posted here - you'll find that in fact the aspects of this debate you've chosen to defend, I've not tried to refute in any way.
An much needed video here , now if I can convince people here that it is evidence that speeds of this proportion can be set on an bicycle , you know what one lady said ? She said that the guy was on ice and was sliding down the hill ? > LMAO > that lady was my wife LOL . It looks like just an simple mongoose bicycle ? And was not even an mountain bike . It can be done ; but im happy going 10 to 15 mph . I'm thinking about an cruise control on my bike ; if that's possible ? I dedicate the picture to my wife and the song to those who dare to go such high speeds !
YouTube - Speed King - Deep Purple

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Remember people... when talking about your bikes top speed, down hill doesn't count!
It's kewl to know that you rode it that fast; but it's not what your bike can really do under it's own power. ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
why do you guys go hella off topic

your worse than zilvia
Because an interestin' topic lead to more interistin' topics and in a way - that's part of what a forum is all about?

We're pretty chill about such things here, yet if the creator of a thread wishes to keep a topic on track or bring it back - they need but only post and/or send a quick PM off to staff to get things sorted. If it's important enough we'll even clean threads or even create a new one & move posts.