Epsom salts (sp_

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have some 12ah batteries over a year old, I might just give the epson salts thing a try when they will no longer hold a decent charge. They always get to a point that I just don't trust them for a bike ride more than a mile but they will still charge. This sounds like the problem to me.

There is also an electronic trick with a battery charger that I might try. My problem with that is my car battery charger is 6amp which would shock the batteries but it is also a smart charger so it will ouly put out two amps on any sla battery.

The welder is an idea since mine will go down to fifty amps that should do for a real shock to the battery. I might just give that a try before I start drilling holes in the sla case for epsom salts.

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Deacon - the DC welder shock trick supposedly only works for Nicads, although I've heard of people using a welder to jump start a diesel tractor or crawler. Sparks near lead acid batteries can cause them to explode. Hydrogen gas is generated during charging. It happened to a friend trying to jump start a car. Not a pretty thought. Please be careful - jd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh I have about decided to find a power supply that puts out 12v 6amps anyway. Fifty amps is nothing I want to play with. These batteries are sealed they are more likely to explode in my face lol.

I have a timer switch I can run a six amp supply for a few minutes to over charge the sla once in a while. I can also string together several sla batteries to cut the amps per battery so I might try to find a 6 amp power supply.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What about the electrical battery Desulfator. I have no idea how this works but does it work that is the question. Is it only good after the battery is completely dead or will it work to keep the plates clean.

I have read the information but I don't quite understand.

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
What about the electrical battery Desulfator. I have no idea how this works but does it work that is the question. Is it only good after the battery is completely dead or will it work to keep the plates clean.

I have read the information but I don't quite understand.
I was looking into these Desulfator thingy's the other week, have a peep here Deacon...

Car, storage and off grid battery pulser/ desulfator charger solutions

There's also a pile of them on Ebay, just type Battery Desulfator in search.

Regards
Tom

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
I didn't try it personally , but my friend has and I saw it. Conclusion is that success with Desulfators depends on type(brand?) of Desulfator and type (and condition) of battery. He tried different batts with two of these things and for some batts it worked great , for others almost nothing (mind you , he didn't knew how old is particular battery or what is the condition of it). Some people from other forum has mixed feelings and impressions about it too. There are schematics on the net for building one and that was tried too, with various levels of success. It all comes to how lucky you are and how much $$ you want to spend for device. As a rule , cheap Desulfators work on car (flooded) batteries fine (if battery isn't ruined totally) and for SLA's with unknown outcome. And yes , I know that this post doesn't help at all , but that is all I know so far about it.

ez2gonuts

Feb 3, 2011
dallas
I have done the epsom salt trick with huge success.. However after epsom salt i ran a
battery desulfator for one full week,, every day the battery got better.. the two batteries
I revived are 11 years old and I currently use them on my golf cart..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have a friend that is actively researching solar and wind alternatives he has done this with success. I don't know a whole lot about it it. It would be neat to see a tutorial on this? any links?