Intake Question

GoldenMotor.com

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
So the engine is a tight fit on my bike and the carb won't fit unless I turn the intake tube is turned upside down, will the engine operate fine if I do that? I know with 2 cycle engines there are't real fussy, and again, its a 66cc flying horse kit.

Thanks!

zpt
brnot

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
on mine the issue was the carb cable hitting. try a straight intake manifold and you wont go back to the stock one. i had one and it gave more power everywhere. the carb needs to sit flat level however soooo. i think you might have to sand a bevel on the billet manifold to level the carb a little. better check what others do. im not sure my answer is correct as i use reeds lately. but i would like to know the answer.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
You could cut the manifold in half and splice it back together with a length of hose and clamps. This will let it be bent over to one side a little for clearance.
It should improve off-idle torque.
For about $12 you can also get an offset (longer) manifold. I have one and it takes off real well but runs out of steam about 5,000 RPM. My gearing is tall, though, so with a 44 tooth it may reach higher speeds.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Flipping a stock intake manifold upside down will throw off the carburetor position. The carb should be as close to level as you can get it.
The suggestions offered above will work but if you'd post a photo of your installed engine maybe we can offer some additional alternatives.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Some kits come with what's considered a shorty intake that the stock carb bolts onto perfectly... Here's a pic of mine up close with a CNS carb installed, this intake is for a stock carb and I had to add a spacer to make the CNS fit...
Try looking around on ebay or ask in here in the "for sale" section to see if someone has one they can sell you. The other alternative is to get an offset manifold that puts the carb on the side next to the seat post, the offset one is good for low end torque and a smoother idle as an added bonus due to it's length.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I will also add that Slogger is right about the offset one running out of steam early because by adding length it adds to low speed performance while taking away from the top.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I will also add that Slogger is right about the offset one running out of steam early because by adding length it adds to low speed performance while taking away from the top.
Yup, I wasn't kiddin! Everybody that takes it easy and all members of the 20MPH club should try one. With a 29er and a 40 tooth sprocket with a giant 260 pound rider, the thing pulls cleanly from 6 mph. With only a bit of clutch slipping I can get going from a dead stop, although I almost never do.
I still have the kit manifold and I'm going to put it back on for a test in the spring, just to see how much difference it really makes.
brnot

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If it has the regular 45 degree angle intake you could always grab one of these from spookytooth as they are on sale. It's the Manic Mechanic billet aluminum intake. It's short and works great for tight fits and on sale for $12
http://spookytoothcycles.com/manic-mechanic-billet-intake-manifold.html
That's a good deal, I see these all the time at other online stores and on ebay for around $20 and up. The O ring is a really nice add on too, no worries about small leaks in that area.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
That's a good deal, I see these all the time at other online stores and on ebay for around $20 and up. The O ring is a really nice add on too, no worries about small leaks in that area.
Exactly I use one and I think I made around $25 shipped for it. Good add on and a great solution to the problem.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Pirate cycles sells the shorty intake for $20 and free shipping, I've got all of mine from them.

I'll post a link later on when I'm home to a ebay seller who has some shorty intakes for even cheaper.

But they don't have the o ring and don't look as good, I'd personally go with the ones from bikeberry/spooky tooth or pirate cycles, much better quality and made by the fella who invented the design.