Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Neat Build. And Fasssst!! Pump Your Brakes!!! Did You Use Threaded Pipe And Elbows Or Bevelled And Welded Joints? Threaded Joints Are Not Very Strong. Thanks For Sharing. Roncvlt1

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
WOW, nice to see different trailers, and the ideas for them.

Deacon, any pics of the electric trailers?

Also I see Bikeman6969 now is over here too. 5-7 is still building his.

Anybody making a hybrid trailer? If I had the $$$ for the electric motor, batteries, and the parts, I would already have built one. Having the triple option of pedal/gas/electric would be killer. However, it would also be expensive.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
njmalibu313, you will love that new 2.5HP engine of yours. Remove the governor and you will get the full power of the engine. It's a very smooth engine at high RPM.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
im working on a simple angle iron pocketbike engine trailer for my mountain bike ill have to put up some pics too.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
I too, am interested in this build. Please take lots of pics.

There's a set of plans in an old Popular Mechanics magazine somewhere, (1940's I think), for a motorized trailer. I haven't seen it since I was a kid though. That was 40 some years ago. I've been searching googlebooks but, haven't found it yet.

What is your overall drive ratio going to be?

buzzardbait
I've seen most of the push trailers in the old magazines. Most were just "features" that showed someone using one and a small story to go with it but no plans, but have only seen one set of plans and I am attaching them here. It's the "Go-Devil". Very basic construction but it worked and the same principle can be used to make one with other materials. This is from MI sometime in the 50s. No matter though, since these scans are super enlarged over the originals, which are hard to read.

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
The Cheapest, Easiest Set Up I Have Seen Is In This Forum. Look Up Posts Or Threads Started By "motormaker" . Nice Setup. Ron .cvlt1 PS YOU CAN BUY A POCKET BIKE REAR WHEEL WITH SPROCKET AND AXLE FOR ABOUT $20 OR SO ON EBAY. THEN ALL YOU NEED IS THE HARBOR FREIGHT MOTOR FOR $99. AND A MOTOR CLUTCH WITH SPROCKET. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Geek, Great Post. Man $75. Was A Lot Of Money In 1904. Looks Like It Runs A Chain To The Rear Wheel, Or Maybe A Belt With A Spring Loaded Tightner As A Clutch. Ron

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Here's my plans:
the rear wheel has a sprocket wich runs (in my case) to a chain saw. the sway unit is the fors and handle bars (gooseneck) chopped down. thus, when turning it sways to.
The cargo box is made from conduit.
Soo, ther you have it. I am going to try this on a 'bent or ful sus.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Max, Welcome. Cool Build. I Think You Have The First Pusher With A Shift Kit. Also The First Happy Time Powered Pusher, That I Know Of. That`s What Keeps The Forum So Interesting. New Idea`s. Happy Trails. Ron .cvlt1

Luka

Aug 19, 2009
Washington
This is probably the first pusher trailer ever. Came from England 1904.
Hi Geek,

That isn't a pusher trailer.

Blow the picture up a bit and you'll be able to see that although it is set up as a trailer, the motor drives the back wheel of the bike, via a chain.

I don't believe they had freewheel clusters on the back, back then. Just a small gear on the back wheel.

You can see there is a larger chainring on the back, and you can see the bottom portion of the chain that goes around that, and back to the motor.

Luka

Aug 19, 2009
Washington
This is probably the first pusher trailer ever. Came from England 1904.
Another note of possible interest...

It cost 75 dollars.

In 2008 dollars, that would be $1,775.00 (What cost $9 in 1909 would cost $213.07 in 2008.)

Quite a lot for that little setup.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Hi Geek,

That isn't a pusher trailer.

Blow the picture up a bit and you'll be able to see that although it is set up as a trailer, the motor drives the back wheel of the bike, via a chain.

I don't believe they had freewheel clusters on the back, back then. Just a small gear on the back wheel.

You can see there is a larger chainring on the back, and you can see the bottom portion of the chain that goes around that, and back to the motor.
Well, I don't wish to get that nitpicky about terminology, I'm just using the term that's used on this forum the most and is convenient. It's different than the ones being built now and is way too complicated. I actually refer to them as power wheels. The engine on this one does technically drive/push the bike and it could have been a trailer by simply adding a basket on it.

Luka

Aug 19, 2009
Washington
Well, I don't wish to get that nitpicky about terminology, I'm just using the term that's used on this forum the most and is convenient. It's different than the ones being built now and is way too complicated. I actually refer to them as power wheels. The engine on this one does technically drive/push the bike and it could have been a trailer by simply adding a basket on it.
I didn't realize I was getting nitpicky.

Nor stepping on toes.

You have my apology.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Another note of possible interest...

It cost 75 dollars.

In 2008 dollars, that would be $1,775.00 (What cost $9 in 1909 would cost $213.07 in 2008.)

Quite a lot for that little setup.
$75.00 in 1904 would be $2,079.72 in 2009 dollars.
I doubt if many were sold and would be surprised if they even sold one. But just the picture alone probably inspired a thousand ideas.