New engine just died

GoldenMotor.com

redman2002

Jul 16, 2009
West Springfield, VA
Hi, I just finished my OCC chopper build for my son. I had 15 miles on the break in and now it doesn't run. I found that the flywheel side crank shaft bearing self destructed. I know this is a Chinese engine, but come on!!!!! I would like to thank Jim at creative engineering for supplying the hub and sprocket. Good work!! Also Barry on Ebay for the mount. I also used a LED Maglite bulb for the head light with a diode for the semi rectifier. Works good with some flickering at idle. I have contacted the supplier of the kit so we'll see what happens from there. Ebay policy was no warranty after installation. I should of paid the extra 20 dollars and got a warranty!!!!

Dan

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Redman,
Was there a shaft seal in there somewhere? There should have been a rubber lipped seal behind the rotor (magnet). in front of the bearing. It not being there would not have caused the bearing to self-destruct but I'm just curious.
Tom

redman2002

Jul 16, 2009
West Springfield, VA
Yes there was a seal. It just came right off after taking the flywheel off. Didn't look like it would seal anything. If the supplier won't work with me, I'll probably buy some Japanese bearings and seals and rebuild myself. I've never had any luck in the commercial field with Chinese bearings. Too bad everyone is using them now. Electric Motors always fail. I did notice the flywheel key is the same as Gopeds and pocket bikes. Has anybody tried installing a "rocket key" (offset timing key)and advanced the timing 10 degrees? I've done it to 3 of my scooters and the acceleration gets bumped up a little.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Red,
I don't know about the bearings; never tried to find Japanese replacements but the crank seals are near impossible to duplicate. They are an odd-ball size that are not available anywhere but one source. At least that was my experience when I searched. Here's a link to Piston Bikes, Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts one of our sponsors, that has a good selection of engine parts. I ordered seals from them and was quite satisfied with their service and parts quality. You might give them a try if you have trouble locating the parts you need. Hopefully your supplier will take care of the issue and you'll be set.
Tom