About JB Weld, not motorbikes:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Although I have used JB Weld to keep the reflector in place on my motorbike's headlamp, this is about another use I found for the stuff.

Would you believe the heating element in my dishwasher got bent downward and melted a hole in the plastic bottom. Water must've been running out the bottom. No wonder it couldn't spray around in there worth crap. So, I'm too poor to buy a new one right now. What to do? Patch it maybe? Looked like I'd have to.

Cyanoacrylate? Nah. Fast setting, but likely too brittle and not up to the temperature changes and havoc of the inside of a dishwasher. Hot-melt glue? Nah. Waterproof, but it would soften and loosen in a short time. RTV Sealant? YES! Go to the shed and get that stuff out!

NOOOOOOOO! The whole doggone tube set up stiff!!!!! Okay, there's JB Weld. It does everything else. Why not.

Now, what do I make a patch from? It has to stand high temperature. But most metals I have kicking around will corrode. I know. I'll cut a flat piece from the old silverware holder I saved from the last dishwasher. (It was a GE piece-of-crap). Mixed my JB, stuck it in place over the hole, and weighted it down. Time will tell.

So, guys, what's the most unusual thing you have fixed with JB Weld? Feel free to chime in.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I didn't, but my old boss did one that made my jaw drop.

He was soldering under the hood of a car, left the iron on, and walked away. The iron was on the battery, and ended up melting a huge hole in the top of it! When he came back and saw what happened, he made a patch of JB weld, sanded the spot down, shot the top of the battery with gloss black, and put a sticker over it. He was good friends with the guy whose car it was, had it been anyone else's he would have replaced it. Wouldn't you know it, that battery lasted well past its life expectancy!