80/66cc silver slant engine clutch slipping.

GoldenMotor.com

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Greg, as a matter of fact i just put some blue loctite on it. I went to start it up this morning and same thing...it started slipping. That gear nut literally twisted itself loose during the 5 min ride i took it on last night after i figured out this mess. So i just tightened it up and through loctite on it. You guys think i might have a sheared off key. I was told to look at the key and see if its sheared. Idk what the heck a good or bad key would look like. I looked at the key and it was there sitting just about flush behind where that cerrated lock washer and that nut butt up against. Im going to do some research and see what i can come up with.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Greg, as a matter of fact i just put some blue loctite on it. I went to start it up this morning and same thing...it started slipping. That gear nut literally twisted itself loose during the 5 min ride i took it on last night after i figured out this mess. So i just tightened it up and through loctite on it. You guys think i might have a sheared off key. I was told to look at the key and see if its sheared. Idk what the heck a good or bad key would look like. I looked at the key and it was there sitting just about flush behind where that cerrated lock washer and that nut butt up against. Im going to do some research and see what i can come up with.
Ummm yeah, looks like the key is sheared as it should be in the slot in the sprocket as well ? Is it ok to ride with a sheared off woodruff key if i take it easy and keep an eye on that nut and keep it tight ? Im going to take a better look at it when i get home from work. Ive read that Ace and alike stores sell woodruff keys. Are they 3/16 ? Another thing I noticed is that the small gear bevel wheel is so misaligned when it turns it has probably has a 1/16 inch wobble in it. Is that normal for these cheap engines and is there an easy fix for that ? Idk if i should put that problem in another thread or not ? Let me know. Little more help is needed fellas. And thanks again, couldnt have figured it out without you guys ! Im grateful I belong to this forum !
Will

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
replace that key before you chew up the end of the shaft to the point it becomes garbage (clutch hub may go bad too)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Take the piece that is left with you to the store to compare to what they have, the store may not have metric so you'll have to find something close. Buy two or three that are slightly larger and file it down till its a tight fit in the shaft, then do the same till the gear goes on. If you're lucky the others will be spares.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Take the piece that is left with you to the store to compare to what they have, the store may not have metric so you'll have to find something close. Buy two or three that are slightly larger and file it down till its a tight fit in the shaft, then do the same till the gear goes on. If you're lucky the others will be spares.
Greg, whats the best way to get the piece thats left in there out ? It looks like its sheared off a few mm below the shaft.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The key is rounded on the bottom, take a small punch and tap it close to one end and the other end should rise up to grab it with pliers or side cutters.