Is head on the right way?

GoldenMotor.com

pitchy

Feb 23, 2016
wilderness
Video running it today.
Those fenders are coming off the chain rubs on them and as stated other issues.
I kick started it but she sure has compression.

Also the manual on line calls the idle screw a air fuel screw but it would be my belief that it`s only a idle screw that lifts and lowers the slide, conformation on that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxJhkOJxYv8

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have the standard NT style of carburetor you're correct. The idle speed screw is a simple mechanical stop that dictates how far the throttle slide can close.
I'll look at your vid and confirm the carb you have.

Edit: Confirmed. That is the NT carburetor. And they are great carbs for a stock or near stock engine.

You want to keep in mind that she is a little AIR COOLED engine. They have no means of cooling except from air moving over the cylinder and cylinder head cooling fins. There is no internal fan or shrouds. Don't run it long sitting still. It'll get pretty hot that way. Too much heat can damage things.

Tom

Last edited:

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
It's looking good pitchy. Another weak spot is the engine mounting bolts. Myself, and quite a few other riders have had those cheap chinese bolts snap right at the engine while riding.

pitchy

Feb 23, 2016
wilderness
It's looking good pitchy. Another weak spot is the engine mounting bolts. Myself, and quite a few other riders have had those cheap chinese bolts snap right at the engine while riding.
Thanks, I`ll keep an eye open for that issue, the engine fit in this frame so well I may not have an issue.
Edit, removed question about muffler as I see no need to change.

Last edited:

pitchy

Feb 23, 2016
wilderness
Decided to keep the fenders, made another support bracket for the rear one.
Going to see if I can adapt a front brake from a ten speed on it.

brandonusmc

Feb 26, 2016
ga
i have a 28 tooth rear sprocket on my 49cc two stroke motor and its slower then the 44 tooth stock sprocket why is that????????? my bike is a 700c 28" tire road bike and I weight 190, roads flat could you tell me why????

pitchy

Feb 23, 2016
wilderness
Someone with more knowledge about these bikes better help you, all I can think is it`s so high geared that your lugging the engine and it can`t get the RPM`s up.

Speaking of sprockets I think I`m going to want to gear down, what tooth sprocket would you guys recommend I`m running a 44 tooth now.
I`d like to change to the better design that clamps to the hub but I only see that available for the 44 tooth or smaller on the gasbike site.
Also can a person start from full stop with lets say a 55 tooth?
Thanks.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
for a motor turning the same RPM, the 28' wheel will go faster than a 26" wheel, but the motor may not be able to do the same RPM with the 28" wheel

sprockets work the opposite, in that the 28t will go faster at same RPM as the 44t - again, the motor may not have enough power to make those RPMs

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
what I was saying about sprocket is that the 28 may be so small that the motor can't get up into its power band

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
crassius, Hope there`s not a misunderstanding, my statement about sprockets is separate from brandonusmc`s.
A 55t will definitely pull from a dead stop. That's a very geared down ratio.
Would be a great hill climber or trail ratio. Will top out around 28mph @ 8000rpm.

I live in the flats and run a 36T sprocket on a stock engine like yours. Main reason is to raise the vibe level above the cruise range. Wouldn't be much of a hill climber but I don't have any. To compare ratio differences this ratio would top at 42mph@8000 rpm. I doubt my stock engine makes much over 6500.

Correct way to place an angle head when clearance allows is plug over the intake side. Runs a bit hotter on the exhaust side.

BTW Crassius correctly answered the other posters question. A stock sprocket is a bit over geared on a 28" and dropping the tooth count only makes it worse. I would run something like a 48t as a starting point on a 28. will let the engine rev more. This is all pertinent to your question.

Last edited:

pitchy

Feb 23, 2016
wilderness
Thanks Cannonball2, a 50 might be what I`m looking for as most my riding will be on dirt on my property.
I haven`t had much chance to ride it yet do to the ice so we`ll see.
I wasn`t doubting Crassius I thought he thought I was so was making sure there wasn`t a misunderstanding or I came across as rude.
I`ve been kick starting mine and letting it get warmed up good every day to break in the rings a little.
Might have to build another maybe a board track racer style with a 4 stroke engine then make a oval dirt track in the field.

Last edited: