Are all brands the same

GoldenMotor.com

46u

Feb 14, 2016
Georgia USA
I have spent much time looking at motors and many of the stock motors no matter the brand look the same. Are all stock Chinese motors the same or are there some really worth the extra money? Which ones are the most reliable if any difference?
Thanks
Jeff

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
they are not all the same, but you'd have to know a lot more than is in a website ad to understand the differences

good news is that they all should work at least OK

46u

Feb 14, 2016
Georgia USA
they are not all the same, but you'd have to know a lot more than is in a website ad to understand the differences

good news is that they all should work at least OK

So there is more then one plant in China that makes them? They all sure look the same as far as they way they look. Been riding and working on motorcycles as a living for most of the past 45 years. My motorcycle is my only transportation as I hate a cage!

OK so what is the difference other then price? I now a LOT about combustible engines so tell me what the difference is and who has the most reliable.
Thanks
Jeff

My grandson and I.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
both motors & kits come in several types - each of 40 or so parts get mixed & matched by sellers - three orders placed at same time from same seller may have some differences in what gets delivered

I buy a lot of kits & seller has put together what I like - other folks ordering on inet seem to get diff kits when they order, so I don't mention where anymore.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jeff, Welcome to the forum and we're glad you've joined us here for some fun.

Your questions are common ones often asked by new members or those just getting into the motorized bicycle hobby. Unfortunately there are no good answers. It's sort of like asking "What's better? Ford or Chevy? What you're going to get is opinions and they will be based on the experience of those who reply.

You are correct in that all the kits/engines you see advertised look the same. There is more than one factory that produces the Chinese 2 stroke engines but there is a plethora of assemblers. Basically mom and pop operations who assemble the engines and package them into kits which are then sold by various distributors who ship them.

The biggest differences you'll see are engines which have been modified or otherwise improved by individuals and sold under their brand names. Obviously they will be priced higher than the ebay sellers but they promise quality. Some of them are advertisers on this forum along with those who sell the stock engines and kits. One thing we always stress is to deal with a vendor who has a good reputation of customer support after the sale.

We urge most new members to utilize our 'Search' and you might find a lot of information by typing in the engine name and see what others have had to say, both pro and con regarding that particular brand.

This is an over simplified explanation but I hope it steers you in the right direction.

Good luck with your first build. We're always here if and when you need help or advice.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Jeff, the very first thing you'll need to do is Tear the engine apart. Most importantly to get any leftover shavings from manufacturing out before running it. I've seen it in every engine I've gotten. Also, you can get intimately familiar with the construction, and taking it apart all the way takes no time. While you're in there, balance the rotating assembly. They will most likely not have done this before assembling your engine, and your engine will last a lot longer and not shake like crazy.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40568

Also, match the transfer ports to the shape of the base gasket (the gasket that goes between the jug and base). Match the jug too, if it needs it. The gasket match of the transfers REALLY opens the engine up, and it takes no time.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
I suggest avoiding- MARK CLYDE STEWART IN SHREVEPORT LOUISIANA

TALKS THE TALK BUT DOES NOT WALK THE WALK
he is a reseller that has no control over what you will receive although he professes to quality control- total BS

That which one is lead to believe is a straight forward bolt on is NOT

Based upon my personal experience and that of several other notable builders