newbie with engine questions 1st post

GoldenMotor.com

vw_bug_lady_biker

Feb 9, 2009
VA
totally new here & trying to learn what to & what not to buy for a first bike build. I want to be motorized & have fun for some cummuting.

what are the differences in the kits? the china kits I see have several different bores & strokes? sizes up to 66cc, slant plugs, chrome aluminum & steel lined cylinders, 202 crankcase bearings? 203 crankcase bearings? all seem to have needle bearings on wristpins isnt that a bad thing? so which way do I go?

also noticed strokes on smaller egines had a bigger stroke than the larger cc engines which used shorter strokes which I see bores from 40mm, 43mm, to 47mm & strokes either 38mm or 40mm. if parts interchange would allow a few cc increase to swap a longer stroke crank & shim the cylinder.

so what makes or dealers inventory are the best durability wise? & does anyone carry bushed pistons or will that be a machine shop special per customers bike?

Rose

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Welcome to the forurm, Lots of choices for sure. There is a thread that has all the dealers listed. I think the support is the most importain and would but from a dealer who is active on the forum. Good luck with your build, these things are so much fun to build and ride and there is a learning curve on getting them to run good, but the people here are the greatest and will help in any problems.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Most of your question are answered on some of the other threads. It'll take some searching though. The experts here know their stuff and can more effectively answer one question at a time. Welcome to the best MB site on the web! :D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow rose, you sure did your research!

I'd stay away from the needle bearing engines. As far as i know, most are bushed, unless otherwise advertised....when I bought my bearing engine, I was lead to believe it was superior, but that doesn't seem to be the truth.

Also, if you know where to get a steel lined cylinder for the China built two stroke, let me know.

vw_bug_lady_biker

Feb 9, 2009
VA
Wow rose, you sure did your research!

I'd stay away from the needle bearing engines. As far as i know, most are bushed, unless otherwise advertised....when I bought my bearing engine, I was lead to believe it was superior, but that doesn't seem to be the truth.

Also, if you know where to get a steel lined cylinder for the China built two stroke, let me know.

so far most china engines I have seen for sale are needle bearing engines I will do some more searching.

as for steel sleeve here is a website link hopefully will slip through since I am new, try the World Wide Web dot usabikemotors dot com the steel sleeve are for the 50cc & they offer top end kits as well.

as for the link fairracing31 showed I had already read that but still had questions. about the 203 versus 202 bearings? on that web site it mentions about bigger 203 bearings but doesnt give any decent information.

on something that small it might be better to have a smaller bearing to hold the load with more surface area in contact with?

I am just hoping for some more insight with what other people have experienced and what would be my best bet reliability wise.

.bld.

Thank you,
Rose

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
If you do NOT want to all ways be working on a Chinese motor kit.
Buy a titan rack mount from thats dax mount it on a STEEL frame bike with front and rear brakes NOT a coaster brake bike.
wall mart has Next brand steel frame dual suspension mens and womens bikes. Almost no difference except color.
Just my opinion.

Lifetime warranty on the bikes one year warranty on the titan kit.

vw_bug_lady_biker

Feb 9, 2009
VA
If you do NOT want to all ways be working on a Chinese motor kit.
Buy a titan rack mount from thats dax mount it on a STEEL frame bike with front and rear brakes NOT a coaster brake bike.
wall mart has Next brand steel frame dual suspension mens and womens bikes. Almost no difference except color.
Just my opinion.

Lifetime warranty on the bikes one year warranty on the titan kit.
I had looked at them but was trying to go less expensive also I do not like a few things with it but that is the way it has to be made to be universal I would have to make a new set of brackets to mount that so it wouldnt have all the holes & would look more eye pleasing.

next since they used a jackshaft I wondered why they couldnt use a shifter kit as an option or maybe have to fab one myself & if I go with the china engines I would plan to eventually go with a shifter kit. my husband liked the titan kit but if money wasnt an object would look at a stratton with the robin engine.

so when I do a kit we will probably be doing 2 kits so with money being tight I will probably still do a china & we will swap bikes back & forth

as for a bicycle well we have quite a few we used to ride from full suspension mountain bikes have several of those to his pet that is dissasembled a 26 dropped to a 24 with a rear ballon tire & dual inverted forks with a 20 inch on front he has owned & ridden it that way since he was a teenager & has a luggage rack on front but it is a coaster brake & will have to weld mounts for regular brakes.

we do have an abundance of engines both 2 & 4 cycle from weedeaters to chainsaws to leaf blowers so could always do a custom conversion, I think he keeps like 10+ chainsaws in running condition at all times & has a couple dozen parts saws & several cracked housing leaf blowers with decent running engines.

we have a brand new 10 speed mtb from western auto that is 26 years old but had a bad brake design & never rode it but maybe 10 miles.

we have a few nice road bikes as well from 10 speeds to 18 or 21 speeds & probably 10 to 15 parts bikes laying on pallets in the woods..bld.

Thanks,
Rose

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Joe,
I'm curious. Are these folks new or why haven't I seen any mention of them before. They appear to have some interesting products. Anyone bought from them?
Tom
These guys are new and are here in Tucson, when I get the time I will stop by and check them out. I have a feeling that it is someone who said he went to live in Mexico.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks, Fair,
I'll be interested in what you discover. We all will.
Tom
I sent them a email and they have already contacted me. They said I am more then welcome to check things out and even take pics. I will do a complete review when I find the time to go. If not tomorrow then some time next week.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have emailed a few times with the father...he seems to be pretty enthusiastic about his son's new endevour...and pretty up on doing good for customers, so I really hope its not our mexican friend

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I had looked at them but was trying to go less expensive also I do not like a few things with it but that is the way it has to be made to be universal I would have to make a new set of brackets to mount that so it wouldnt have all the holes & would look more eye pleasing.

next since they used a jackshaft I wondered why they couldnt use a shifter kit as an option or maybe have to fab one myself & if I go with the china engines I would plan to eventually go with a shifter kit. my husband liked the titan kit but if money wasnt an object would look at a stratton with the robin engine.

so when I do a kit we will probably be doing 2 kits so with money being tight I will probably still do a china & we will swap bikes back & forth

as for a bicycle well we have quite a few we used to ride from full suspension mountain bikes have several of those to his pet that is dissasembled a 26 dropped to a 24 with a rear ballon tire & dual inverted forks with a 20 inch on front he has owned & ridden it that way since he was a teenager & has a luggage rack on front but it is a coaster brake & will have to weld mounts for regular brakes.

we do have an abundance of engines both 2 & 4 cycle from weedeaters to chainsaws to leaf blowers so could always do a custom conversion, I think he keeps like 10+ chainsaws in running condition at all times & has a couple dozen parts saws & several cracked housing leaf blowers with decent running engines.

we have a brand new 10 speed mtb from western auto that is 26 years old but had a bad brake design & never rode it but maybe 10 miles.

we have a few nice road bikes as well from 10 speeds to 18 or 21 speeds & probably 10 to 15 parts bikes laying on pallets in the woods..bld.

Thanks,
Rose
If money is tight you will probably want to buy two $125.00 Happy time engines .
Do not buy from revolution cycles, or boy go fast.
They can not be trusted.
You will be constantly working on either bike.
You will need HELP.