Happy Time Clutch Completely Jammed

GoldenMotor.com

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
I have recently purchased an 80/66cc happy time motor for my bike, and I've managed to get it mostly assembled (need to put throttle and clutch on, but that's it), but I've run into quite a huge roadblock. After wrestling the chain on (had to use the flathead screw on the small gear in the clutch to get the chain through) and putting the clutch and drive gear covers back on, my clutch arm no longer moves inward. It will go flush with the engine, but it physically will not move any further. I'd like to get this bike running, but unfortunately I cannot even get it to roll at the moment. I've looked all over, and all the advice on here (and elsewhere) is only if the clutch lever isn't working, not the entire assembly. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I suspect what you are feeling is not a "jammed" clutch but only the resistance of the inner clutch spring. Many new owners of the little Chinese engines will underestimate the amount of force necessary to disengage the clutch.
It can be done by hand but my suggestion would be to install the clutch cable, adjust it correctly then see if the clutch will disengage by using the handlebar lever.

I'll link to a good tutorial on clutch adjustment for the Chinese 2 stroke. I believe that will cure your problem. Start here > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726
Good luck. Let us know if this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The sprocket cover is interfering with the chain.

This is a common issue. You need to grind away some material inside the cover where the chain is locked up against it.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
2Door: Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it when it gets warm enough to spend some time in the garage.
FFV8: I don't think that's it, I manually cycled the chain through using the method described in my original post (turning the flathead screw on the small gear in the clutch) without issue when putting it on. I'll still look into it, though. Thank you!

Edit: Using a screwdriver and some love taps from a hammer combined with the advice provided by the kind folks on this forum, I have managed to free up the clutch and get it working properly! For anyone that may be having the same issue, here are some steps I went through to fix it:

1. Open up the clutch and remove the drive gear cover, then remove the small screw in the middle of the clutch plate
2. Take a flathead screwdriver or a chisel and use a hammer to gently tap the nut in the middle loose (counterclockwise)
3. Loosen the nut until the bike can roll without using the clutch arm or anything
4. Tighten it ever so slightly, but not too much. At this point, the wheel should not turn freely
5. Put the drive gear cover back on, I did this with the clutch arm slightly in (round part of the pin facing sprocket)
6. Tighten the cover evenly and bam, you *should* have a fully functional clutch.

Last edited: