The Small Spring Controversy

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I decided to not make this a poll but instead to get some feedback from the members. Some dialog that would address this issue and one we could point to when the subject comes up.

Often some of us have suggested to new builders to discard the small spring that is included in the kits; the one that is supposed to be installed on the clutch cable between the clutch actuator arm and the end of the cable at the guide. The contention being that the spring serves no useful purpose but it does increase clutch pull force.

However in a recent conversation with another member who advocates the use of the spring I can see where it might help reduce wear on the bucking bar and the ball bearing, two components of the clutch actuating system.

This member's view was that the spring tension kept the actuator arm from vibrating and therefore adding wear to the bearing surface of the sprocket cover and kept any pressure off the bucking bar and ball bearing when the clutch is engaged.

Those who favor not using the spring have a different outlook maintaining that if the clutch cable is tensioned just enough to prevent the arm from vibrating but not so tight as to allow undue contact with the bucking bar and ball, the spring is unneeded. Also proper lubrication of the bar and ball is assumed.

What’s your opinion? Do you use the small spring or throw it in the parts drawer? It should be interesting to hear other’s views on this.

Tom

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
My first engine lasted 3 hard years with the spring in place. My next engine I didn't use the spring and just after break in the arm popped up and I'm assuming it's a sheared keeper pin. I haven't seen it since I did a roadside repair to hold the arm in and it's working fine.

I can see now that it makes perfect sense that the little spring keeps the arm from excessive vibration.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
unneeded - my kits have a return spring in the clutch lever itself that tends to push the cable back

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I don't use it, the clutch spring is enough if everything is adjusted and greased.
The arm's a regular 'check and grease' item for me, I guess the grease keeps it from vibrating. Lubing the clutch cable each season is a good idea. Anyway, I don't use the little spring.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I've used it as a temporary fix for an old clutch that quit returning to full-close. I attributed it to detritus in the bucking-bar channel. It came in handy since I couldn't start the engine without manually pulling on the clutch-arm to avoid clutch-slip.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Personally, I still use it. In theory it keeps friction and wear and rattles out of the lever and bucking bar. I also believe it has little to no effect in the real world. I have had no problems using it. Many have had no problems not using it.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I used the spring for a while, but now that I got the clutch adjusted to the point it don't slip, I pulled the spring and all seems well after adjusting the cable.

Lot less resistance on the clutch lever. Over really long rides, like I'm prone to taking, that can make a huge difference.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You can also drastically reduce the lever tension by using a clutch cable roller guide or making a bracket so the cable points straight at the clutch arm, the cable end mount under the carb makes the cable come out at a slight angle which causes the clutch to feel rough and it adds to the amount of effort it takes to pull in the clutch. The clutch will release and pull in a lot more smoothly by correcting this geometry.
Another thing that really helps is if you can find one of the older type clutch arms that's slightly longer and has a slight bend in it, these arms make the pull a little easier and smoother as well, and it's also fairly easy to make your own clutch arm, and if you experiment with the length and geometry it is possible to give the clutch a more motorcycle like feel. I set mine up that way before and it was nice while riding but the lever lock didn't work so well so I set it back to where the lever lock worked again. Later on I may come up with a better lever lock so I can set the clutch pull so it feels more like a motorcycle clutch again as it makes taking off from a dead stop real easy and feels better when riding in areas where you gotta stop and go a lot.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another modification that doesn't take a lot of time but gives big benefits is to smooth and polish the bucking bar and clutch actuator cam. The contacting surfaces of these two parts are usually rough from the factory. I round them off slightly with a Dremel sanding disc then polish them on a bench buffer to a chrome-like finish. Of course lubrication is essential too.

All of my clutches can be disengaged with my thumb and one finger. Anything you can do to reduce clutch lever pull makes riding more comfortable.

Tom