low speed vibe

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
Well, after the first 175 miles everything was working fine. Now all of a sudden the engine misses and bucks from about 10 - 18 mph. Also the vibration is now a lot worse even at higher speeds. I have checked everything and it's all tight. Any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks, George

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
George, if you are still using the same spark plug then maybe time for a new one or try freshening up the one you have. There's a couple of vids on youtube about that procedure. Also, with that mileage you're kind of at the tail end of your break in period. So you could try moving the needle clip up one notch to lean it out a bit as your engine is maturing to adulthood, or possibly even down a notch. As the rings set in they provide more compression ie power so you may be feeling that stage a little more.

And, like Agreen said, check the plug colour and that will tell you what she's doing and what she might need. That's really the first thing to look at before doing anything else.

Are you still running a break in oil ratio?

Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
I put in a new spark plug about a week ago. The plug has been black from the start although it's not wet. I've been using 32:1 - after 24:1 for the first gallon. I'll try changing the clip and see if it helps. Thanks,
George
More Science High

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Hey George-
Check that the woodruff key in the rotor (the magnet) hasn't slipped out or been left out. If your timing changes, it can begin to shake a lot more. A bad bearing might shake it up, but it would have other effects and probably cause a leaky seal and poor running. It could also be a bad misfire, bad gas or a loose or broken engine mount.
That's everything I can think of.
Hope it's an easy fix!
When you go from 24/1 to 32/1 your fuel/air mix will be richer. Less oil =more gas for a given jet. I'd guess you could drop the needle.
Hope you get her fixed up ;)

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
If yours is missing you could measure the slot and try local hardware stores for one, I bought a spare magneto magnet from DAX and it came with one included.
They can be had on e-bay also I imagine.
It was just a guess, I wouldn't order anything til you take a look at it first.

Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
I just around to changing the needle clip down a notch and it's made a big difference. Much more powerful on the low end and lot smoother. Thanks everybody for the help and hats off to Porgie.
George