need longer dremel bits for porting. any suggestions ???

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
trying to find either long dremel bits or a bit extension device for porting and polishing cylinders and pistons. I've got good bits but they arent long enough !!! I might have a flex shaft, but I recently moved and have no idea which box it might be in.

any suggestions ?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
Simply due to the high speed, an adapter extension would shake. Would sacrifice finish. Best to find your missing tool. I have seen long bits, last time when i was in the snap-on truck. Dont think you want to spend that kind of money.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
yes just use a chainsaw file and forget the other toys you cant find. but i use a large 2 handed drill and regular 1/8 shaft rotory bits from fastenal.
everyone is spinning way to fast. turn it as slow as you want till it bounces or does very little then turn it up a bit.

do the 50 percent of the work with the chainsaw file and it will finish up better than anything.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Stones and aluminum don't mix... better wear your safety glasses..
You can get 3" long carbide rotary files for the dremel from a few of the ebay sellers and I got a 10 piece set of double ended 3" long carbide for like $20 last year as well as a full set of 2 1/2" long single ended carbide with the larger burrs attached which will reach all the way into the transfer tunnels on a regular dremel without needing to break out the flex shaft.
The set I got are similar to this one... but I got a 10 piece set of double ended ones so basically 20 different sizes and shapes and I think I paid like $20 for that set... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGS-U-S-A-R...707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588608114b

If I can find the link for the set I got I'll post it but it's not showing in my purchase history anymore.... definitely cheaper to buy a set than imdividually...

Stones and aluminum don't mix, the aluminum just loads up on the stones (which is annoying enough) but then the aluminum also expands quicker than the stone which can cause them to explode.... is this dangerous? Not hardly n a dremel considering the small size, but it will stop your progress instantly. There are several links and pages to read about grinding stones and why not to use them on aluminum...

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I have a large set of bits and used a couple different stones labeled for aluminum and other softer materials. both bits "loaded up" and exploded. not violently, just flew apart. I ended up taping out the inside of the sleeve and shoved the dremel in, but that was just to remove casting ridge at transfer ports using a carbide diamond tip.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I sometimes break off pieces of long round files & chuck them up in both large drills & dremels.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's the link I was looking for earlier... I got a set of double ended burrs from that guy about a year ago and they'll go anywhere you need them to on these engines. His prices are really good too. My other set are the 2 1/2" long 10 piece set with the larger conical, flame shape, and cylindrical burrs, that set cuts fast but the long shank double ended ones can reach everywhere easily.
Thanks GH... I need to put that seller back in my favorites.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Was buried in my book marks. Took me two days to find it lol. I think it was you that put up that link some time ago? Can''t remember? Got it off this forum. That listing is impressive!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Was buried in my book marks. Took me two days to find it lol. I think it was you that put up that link some time ago? Can''t remember? Got it off this forum. That listing is impressive!
It might have been me but mapbike is the one who passed the link to me, I bought a set and passed the link on but lost it from my favorites or I got it bookmarked on a different computer, I use my tablet most the time when at home and got 2 pc's at my shop, a laptop, and 2 more pc's at home so I'm sure I got it somewhere but it would take me days of looking thru bookmarks to find it again too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Where has Mag been lately? He has always been very helpful. Missed seeing him around. Hope he is doing OK. Always a real nice fellow . He found out a lot about these motors for us.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes, I fully agree.. he's taken a lot of time to figure out a lot about these engines and is always helpful. I talked to him on Facebook about a week ago and he's doing ok, just too busy to mess with the bikes or come on the forum as often as he would like to. I think he works the graveyard shift but he's been putting in a lot of overtime this summer. He lives about 150 miles away from me so we pass parts to each other thru the mail from time to time if I want him to try out something I made or if he wants me to try out something he made etc. But he usually messages me about once a month or so when he can't visit the forum.
I'm kinda in the same boat because business at my shop took off really good a few months ago and I end up working more than 12 hours a day 6 days a week, but I still have time to visit the forum since I keep a tablet in the bedroom and have a pc in my office so I get on sometimes during the day when I'm looking stuff up or taking a short break etc... I think I'm going on 2 months for building my newest bike since I'm either too busy to mess with it or too tired when I'm done for the day... and it may be November or December before I will have any time to mess with that Morini engine I got. I've been itching to put that engine in something for almost a year now... lol, but eventually I will find a decent mechanic to take my place and I'll have a little more free time....