This is another "my motor won't start" threads

GoldenMotor.com

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
I'll save you the story and just get down to facts.
Bike: Diamondback Outlook 36spoke rear tire
Motor: bikeberry flying horse 66cc 2stroke
Problems: heavy resistance when releasing clutch and having heavy compression, bike seems to start but when throttle is twisted there is no power. There seems to be a slightly louder fire pattern when twisting throttle but no power comes from the engine. The engine dies after I get tired of pedaling for 10 seconds. I mixed about 8ounces of high quality 2stroke engine oil for the first tank of gas and so far have not been able to make that damn thing start. There seems to be a switch on the carburetor, not by the fuel line but by the head. Not sure what it does. I am not able to test for spark or anything else at the moment since it is 4am here and raining. Hopefully when j wake up someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
switch on the carb, you mean lever? Chinese writing next to it? Its a choke lever, pushing it all the way down opens the choke, bike should run with the choke lever in the down position.

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
switch on the carb, you mean lever? Chinese writing next to it? Its a choke lever, pushing it all the way down opens the choke, bike should run with the choke lever in the down position.
Yes exactly. I will try flipping the switch and trying again.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you need a lot of work here

looks like your motor is leaning left & carb is leaning right - won't run very long like that

I see you are having a problem fitting the plug under the frame - take the head off & turn the plug to the front to get room to make the motor straight & tight

carb looks like it isn't fully onto the intake - steel intakes sometimes have a bit of a nub at the end that needs smoothing with a nail file to get the carb fully seated, do that - BTW, loose carb is probably why it won't start

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
you need a lot of work here

looks like your motor is leaning left & carb is leaning right - won't run very long like that

I see you are having a problem fitting the plug under the frame - take the head off & turn the plug to the front to get room to make the motor straight & tight

carb looks like it isn't fully onto the intake - steel intakes sometimes have a bit of a nub at the end that needs smoothing with a nail file to get the carb fully seated, do that - BTW, loose carb is probably why it won't start
What exactly do you mean by turning the plug to the front? Did I buy a motor too big for my bike? I can't get everything to fit nicely in the frame without tilting. Additonally, I had the fuel line leak everywhere so I just picked up some new tubing with hose clamps.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
What he means it taking the head off where the spark plug threads into and turning it 180 degrees and reinstalling it. It's the 4 top nuts on the engine. Loosen and take it off swap around and re-install. Very easy! It'll allow you to mount the engine properly.

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
What he means it taking the head off where the spark plug threads into and turning it 180 degrees and reinstalling it. It's the 4 top nuts on the engine. Loosen and take it off swap around and re-install. Very easy! It'll allow you to mount the engine properly.
thanks, that makes sense. is it okay if the carburetor isn't straight up and down?

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
The more level you can get it the better. I would try mounting it on both sides to see which one is more level. I have ran my carb at a slight angle previously, but with the bike it looks like you may need to get a straight intake or "shorty" intake which looks like this.

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
Engine is straight now. Thanks for the head tip. This is as level as I can get the carb to sit. The throttle cable and cap get in the way so I might order a short intake or one that goes out towards the side away from the frame. Should I be okay to ride it like this? Oh can someone check my wiring? Currently I have the black throttle and blue magneto plugged into the blue CDI, and the red throttle along with black magneto plugged into black CDI. White cord tethered down.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
carb looks like it can run as you have it, but you might want to saw that adjuster bolt shorter and remove the nut to give a bit more room at carb cap - wiring sounds right

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
Installed new fuel line and couldn't get fuel to flow past the filter. Is there a vaccum problem? Anyways, I tried getting the bike going but the tension pulley revolved 180 degrees downwards and threw the chain into the spokes of the back tire. Now I have a bent tire frame. A replacement is on it's way but I'm considering simply buying a better frame from Walmart and restarting. Can anyone tell me if I should keep all the parts I have currently or return the whole thing and get a different kit. I don't mind replacing a couple stock pieces to make it run better, but as it is it simply won't run at all. Do I have a bad kit or what?

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
Just ordered the Skyhawk frame. Any tips on getting everything set? The main reason I got this frame was so that I had the sprocket aligned properly. The tube that goes from my crank to the back wheel isn't parallel with the chain and likely caused the tension pulley to fall away and throw the chain off the sprocket. Turns out there is a crack on the carburetor tube that attaches to the manifold. Is this the source of all my problems? Right before the bike died, I was able to get compression and when twisting the throttle the noise got louder. Still no power. I will try again when my Skyhawk arrives. Until then what am I doing wrong?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that part of the frame is rarely in line with the chain - one moves tensioner forward/back to help line it up and puts pulley on other side and flip mount around, or add a washer or two under pulley, etc., etc. to get it right

carbs are poorly cast and have lumps & bumps - you may not have a crack - a good pic of it would help

good luck on that 'return the kit' thing : )