2-stroke oil additives

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello good people!

This is not a discussion about oil/ fuel ratios, there are plenty of those already...

Recently at my local small engine shop, I was told that mogas now has a 30 day shelf life. My Stihl HP Ultra synthetic says it contains "fuel stabilizers". I did a fair amount of reading, but am unable to determine if those stabilizers actually extend shelf life...

Does anyone here know?

Thanks!

Trey

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Some of the better oils will also contain stabilizers to help the fuel last longer so check your labels there for sure.... otherwise stuff like stabil works pretty good and you mix that in before mixing your oil. You can also add a bit of seafoam or marvelnmystery oil to the gasoline but do it before adding the oil since these aren't considered lubricants. The marvel mystery oil does lubricate but nonwhere near as well as the 2 cycle oil.

Motor awesomeness

Nov 3, 2014
Illinois
Well yes these stabilizers make it last a couple months but there are better ones. Seafoam says up to 2 years stable and stabil says 6-12 months. if you want you can run car fuel additives like mmo, seafoam, Lucas, etc. as all these neutralize bad gas, stabilize fuel, and decarbonize the engine.

Last edited: