Building your own Computer!

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Moved a 140 gigs of stuff between some hard drives formating reinstalling Linux Mint. Was still using the same Mint os that sat in the first comp. That 140 gigs only took 20 minutes to move. Boy howdy I liked that! This is my new bare minimum marker.

My last comp would have took a couple of hours. Can remember a time when just 15 20 gigs could take a day.

One outlook that has come to me... is spending too much time on a comp is kinda already a sin.

Why do it on a slow one?

Think it would be fair to say if it's slow enough it can lag opening Internet that's a deal breaker. Like my Dell Mini at work. Gonna can that comp. Dang thing will not die. Got some Indian trading to do with a friend.

Sitting on some good upgrade memory in my closet. Bound to be another work around. Just about anything might be faster than that Dell Mini Ten.. Dunno what ever comes first.

Got a new years motto average is good. Nothing slow again....'''ever''' lol

Was at Best Buy the other day and saw 200 and 300 dollar Google lap tops. Strolled over to the Windows lappies and dang those were steep. 300% markup from Google's.

System builder bargains at the likes of NewEgg and Tiger. Anybody done much of those? Have had good luck with both.

Have built a few comps but my specialty for awhile was getting folks scraps. It's a catch 22 butt can't go wrong with New.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
300 bucks will get you a "good enough" PC for surfing and simple tasks.
I'm like Vale - 20 yrs building my own PCs.
But unlike the 90's where you had to have top end power to do anything - now any PC has enough power to do stuff.

worst thing about a prebuilt PC is the crapware that is pre-installed ;-(.
[FONT=&quot]
I do more than 'simple tasks' all at once every day but I won't go into them.

Here is the detailed info for my $300 'off the shelf' ASUS desktop mid-tower.

AMD FX-8300 3.3G 95W AM3+
R7 240-2GD3/DP_CARD/VGA//1D-SUB,1HDMI,1DVI
DDR3 1600 LONG DIMM 8GB 240P//SAMSUNG/M378B1G73DB0-CK0
DDR3 1600 LONG DIMM 4G 240P//SAMSUNG/M378B5173DB0-CK0
SATA3 HDD 2TB 7200RPM 3.5'//TOSHIBA/DT01ACA200/BS0
M5A97 EVO2/M51BC/DP_MB

Gotta love Fry's Electronics, I have one ~5 miles away.
I caught the right sale at the right time and got the thing close to half off.
Heck, just that CPU sells for $170 today so with the OS I know it was a score.

I don't know how they do it, but I seen (and felt it) it coming 6 years ago when schools started pumping out 'tech school' PC techs that were little more than board swapers working for minimum wage when I was charging $65 an hour for service and $300 + parts to build a fast box.

It sure was fun riding the wave of innovation where every little innovation mattered, but now the power is cheap everywhere.

What cracks me up is things like the Apple Watch for $300.
It's just a remote control for your iPhone.
Does it even tell time without a cell phone?

Anyway, sorry to infringe on the 'Build it Yourself' PC topic, again, I thought it was relevant.

[/FONT]

Last edited: