Second coil blown in a week sigh

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hi guys
So last week I fried my coil ,wee I presumed after replacing it that was the issue as she started running again and was so until today.

I'm riding home when she stalls out again exactly as she did when I fried the coil so suspect I've fried the days old coil aswell

Now when I pulled the coil the first time I noticed the magnet had been rubbing against the coil and there was fine black metal shavings inside the case ,IS THIS
Normal or have I somehow bent the err spinning magnet or killed a Bering or something causing the coil to be slightly out of alignment
The issue here is yep I can simply replace the coil again but I suspect I would burn out the new one aswell .

The seal is good ,I have good compression ,fuel and have replaced the wiring clips for a soldered joint so can tick off all of those issues but the underlying issue is

WHY AM I BURNING UP COILS
COULD IT BE A FAULTY CDI UNIT ( many have said it shouldn't be )
Could it be a faulty kill switch causing the burn out
It seems to occur near or at WOT so could it be an overcharge of the coil considering I'm running a 32t sprocket

Can anyone suggest what I can do .
I've conducted the CDI and mag test with the multi meter but get some way out there readings compared to Toms post
My motor has run fine for 6 months with no issues at all except minor ones but this has me baffled
Should I do a complete electrics swap out

Bella is my only transport so need to fix the issue before the kids go back to school

Any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated

Regards Henshooter

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Metal shavings are a sign of a FAR bigger issue. Bent crank or wasted crank bearings.
A magnet rubbing the coil will destroy it in short order.
Fix the CAUSE not the symptom.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I believe you have nailed the issue on the head maniac ,as you can see from the pic the mag has had the case of the rubs , :-||

I'm guessing bearings but simply don't have the means to fix the problem ,let alone the patience to do it at the moment ,

How hard is it to replace the crank bearings ?

I could do it I suppose but it might be easier to simply replace the entire motor

SIGH RIP BELLAS MOTOR :(

Regards Henshooter

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
before replacing the main, pry up on it with the end of a screw driver to see if it moves - if it moves the bearing is bad - if it doesn't move the crank may be bent or maybe the armature wasn't seated properly around the raised area of the case to hold it straight (when straight, there should be about 8 thousandths inch clearance all the way around)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The magneto magnet is a very close fit with the coil pickups as it is and when installing a new magneto or magnet rotor you'll want to check that it's not touching anywhere by rotating it at least a full turn. Most the time you can loosen up the mag coil and shift it over just enough to where it's not touching the coil pickups and all is good. If the magnet rotor can touch the coil pickups it can definitely lead to frying a new coil and it's not good for the crank or the bearings for the rotor to contact the pickup as it'll be hitting it every revolution of the engine. The other problem is that the mag rotor may not be perfectly symetrical causing it to hit the pickups, but you can usually adjust the pickups enough to where the rotor won't contact by loosening the 4 screws then tightening them up after you get everything to clear.

I do agree tho to check your crank and bearings as mentioned above, but I'm thinking your problem might have been from the rotor contacting the pickup as it'll cause a lot of undue vibration on the pickup and coil as well as a lot of extra heat generated in that one area from the rotor rubbing against the pickup, and it can even bend the crank or wear at a bearing if gone undetected or not quickly fixed.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When replacing te magneto coil it's always a good idea to space it out away from the rotor (magnet) by inserting a business card between the coil and the rotor. Tear a card in half and use both halfs top and bottom. This will assure the coil and rotor won't come into contact with each other. There's enough slop in the coil to allow some adjustment in its position before tightening the screws.

I feel this is your probelm more than a bearing issue. Your engine is too new to expect the bearings to be that bad.

Tom

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I have done a strip down guys and it looks like the shaft is bent by about a mil ,I've tried several times to readjust the coil and there just isn't enough clearance for the mag not to rub ,god knows what happened but if anyone has a clue as to why the shaft has bent it would be greatly appreciated so I can avoid the situation in the future ,apart from that the head piston and cylinder and seals were in top notch condition and as I don't have the means or time to repair the issue I'm just going to retire this motor for parts , if anyone is in need of parts for a nice little angle fire motor just let me know ,all I ask is a few bucks to cover postage and the parts yours

Only downside now is no ride till the 25 th of the month due to monthly income sigh ,looks like it's back to peddles :-||

Regards Henshooter

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you ever tried to pry the rotor (magnet) off and wasn't careful you might have bent the shaft. Prying on one side too hard can do it. The crankshaft is small diameter and rather soft out at the end where the rotor sets. I've seen it happen seveal times on customer returned engines.

Use a puller. I found a faucet handle puller at Ace hardware that works perfectly to remove the rotor safely.

Tom

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
If you ever tried to pry the rotor (magnet) off and wasn't careful you might have bent the shaft. Prying on one side too hard can do it. The crankshaft is small diameter and rather soft out at the end where the rotor sets. I've seen it happen seveal times on customer returned engines.

Use a puller. I found a faucet handle puller at Ace hardware that works perfectly to remove the rotor safely.

Tom
Only pulled it after I found it was bent Tom , you could clearly see before the magnet was removed it had bent somehow ,maybe she overheated ,I know she got knocked over by a stupid kid that was told not to go near Bella and she fell hard onto that side ,so much so it stretched the kick stand spring and rendered her useless ,I know it sounds wasteful but I've got a new kit due later in the month ,was going to be a new project for the wife when the bub comes along but alas will now be for Bella .
Like I said though every other aspect of the kit is top notch so if anyone is in need of parts simply pm me and I'll happily send them for postage costs

Regards Hen

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Only pulled it after I found it was bent Tom , you could clearly see before the magnet was removed it had bent somehow ,maybe she overheated ,I know she got knocked over by a stupid kid that was told not to go near Bella and she fell hard onto that side ,so much so it stretched the kick stand spring and rendered her useless ,I know it sounds wasteful but I've got a new kit due later in the month ,was going to be a new project for the wife when the bub comes along but alas will now be for Bella .
Like I said though every other aspect of the kit is top notch so if anyone is in need of parts simply pm me and I'll happily send them for postage costs

Regards Hen

Splitting the cases is not hard if you're careful. But a bent crank is junk unless you know a machinist who can true it for you.
I've never seen one bent without someone prying on it but like Tom said, they are soft out there at the ends so it's possible a good shot to the cover could do it. Is there any marks inside from it hitting?
Oh well, hope your next motor does you better and now you have spares to play with!