Flux Core Welder???

GoldenMotor.com

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
I seem to be in need of a new welder to repair my mower deck.
I have a J.D. mower and the deck has developed a major crack in one of the mounting brackets. I tried brazing it, but couldn't get enough penetration, so figure I'll need to weld it.
I thought about getting a stick welder, but don't have the extra $300 for a tombstone, so
I'm thinking about one of those little 115. Volt flux core wire welders. I've seen them from around $75 - $150. I could handle that' and since I just need one for repairs' etc around d the farmstead.
Any suggestions? Experiences? Tales of woe?

Thanks...
Dave

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a 115v flux core mig that works great on thin metal, I have welded cracks in a mower deck. For best results practice on a couple of pieces of like metal, getting the heat right is key and keep moving because thin metal will burn through quick. Mine is very similar to the HF 90. If I were buying a new welder I would opt for a unit that could accept cover gas, you may not need it now but may in the future.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
For the few extra $, I would recommend going with a machine that will run both; gas and gasless (fluxcore). Your mower project wouldn't really require the cleaner weld you'll get from a shielding gas but once you get proficient with it, you'll find projects that will go much smoother and look better if you can run a bead without the slag you'll get with fluxcore. Just my opinion.

If your mower deck is thin material try tack welding, or 'stitch welding' the crack. Don't try to make one long continous bead but tack in multiple places then connect the tacks.
Thin material can be a challenge for the inexperienced. Practice, practice, practice will make you a better welder. Good luck.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yea Tom it all depends on the thickness, on 3/32 up I weld with mine on low. As long as I don't heat up a spot too much it does good. I built my trailer out of racking uprights and welded it with my mig.

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Thanks guys.
Searching for a gas/gasless mig unit I can afford...
Wish I could afford a Mig/Tig Unit.
Hate being a 47% at times, but didn't have a silver
spoon in my mouth at birth
Dave

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The harbor freight will be fine for anything 3/16" or less.

If you mod it with a full wave bridge rectifier (ebay cheap less than $20) to DCEN (direct current electrode negative) it will be even better and a lot easier (less arc flash) to use.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good choice, Cosmic. You'll be glad you spent the extra. Maybe not right now but eventually and now you have the option to run both fluxcore and solid wire. As for your gas, check with a local welding supply and lease your tank as opposed to buying one. Keep in mind too that the larger tanks are actually cheaper, more economical, that those little pony tanks. You'll want C-25 /argon/CO2 gas.

Good luck.

Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
for years i would only buy a lincoln or miller because of parts. but now with the internet... thanks al gore.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Al Gore?
I don't get the reference.
What..... is he blaming welding for global warming/ climate change now?
I know that here in California they are now going after cow farts as a significant source of greenhouse gasses.
I would not be too surprised if welding gasses are on the blame radar too.

Sorry for going off topic, but I have questions....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
some time ya just gotta laugh....... Al Gore never invented anything accept one lie to cover up the other and then repeat and then repeat........!

Maybe Obama should tell him like he did every other hard working American business owner

" You didnt build that, somebody else built it"

these clowns may me sick!

map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's why I prefer shielding gas welding. Not as many fumes and smoke :)

Tom
yep, having a gas shield is so much better, if you're welding outside and its windy the flux core may be better but Inside or in a no wind enviroment, a shield of Argon-CO2 or even helium.
map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I seem to be in need of a new welder to repair my mower deck.
I have a J.D. mower and the deck has developed a major crack in one of the mounting brackets. I tried brazing it, but couldn't get enough penetration, so figure I'll need to weld it.
I thought about getting a stick welder, but don't have the extra $300 for a tombstone, so
I'm thinking about one of those little 115. Volt flux core wire welders. I've seen them from around $75 - $150. I could handle that' and since I just need one for repairs' etc around d the farmstead.
Any suggestions? Experiences? Tales of woe?

Thanks...
Dave
I have the $99 Harbor Freight stick welder.
It works just fine for thin welding on 110, and even better on 220. It's easy to use and dirt cheap to run since all you ever need are rods.
The cheap HF MIGs (both gas and fluxcore) work fine as well but require more consumables.
You don't need a $300 tombstone to stick weld.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
welding with water, save the planet from welding gas.
http://www.multiplaz.com/

One thing about getting some off brand is that 10-15 years later you may not be able to find parts... like the one I have. Maybe after that long who cares just throw it away and get a new one. I like to fix stuff if I can.