Grubee or not Grubee...that is the question.

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
So I ordered and built two kits from gasbike. both run pretty well. Before I got into all this nonsence I saw a guy with a motorized bicycle - a Genesis Onyx, and a Skyhawk sticker on it. He told me that he had tried other cheaper kits and that I should DEFINATELY get the Grubee Skyhawk kit.

When I got the kits from gasbike, they did not come with a neato Skyhawk sticker for the clutch plate, so, is it a Skyhawk or not ? how can I tell for sure ? I also ordered two kits from rose326a on ebay. same deal - no stickers. they look identical to the gasbike engines. on the gasbike website, they show the engine with the skyhawk sticker on it.

??????

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
they want you to be confused! thats the point. if you order it from canada the engine model would be the first thing in the description and not purposfully hidden from the customer.

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
gt5 is the discontinued small port pre 2012 short stroke engine. to bad your buying that...everyone wants your money now.....my engine is 40mm stroke lol etc etc etc.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
take a good look cause this is a grubee.
it should have the cns preformance carb
a metal sticker that said grubee and motor size
and a long intake with a k&n style filter

this is how the grubee gt5 comes from the factory and its by far the SECOND BEST MOTOR YOU CAN BUY lol the best would be a dax balanced f80

edit older models come with the shorty intake and the nt carb and a black or red plastic filter but all else is the same

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Grubee's are no better than any other china doll, just more expensive.
You want to pay extra for a riveted plate? Knock yourself out.
I'll keep pounding out the miles on my $150 ebay dolls from rose.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Grubee's are no better than any other china doll, just more expensive.
You want to pay extra for a riveted plate? Knock yourself out.
I'll keep pounding out the miles on my $150 ebay dolls from rose.
Yeh the grubee gt5 was my first china girl and i feel for thre hype lol

My next motor is going to be a dax f80 balanced engine with a puch head and modded exhaust.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
When I got the kits from gasbike, they did not come with a neato Skyhawk sticker for the clutch plate, so, is it a Skyhawk or not ?
The $135 delivered 'Parts in a Box' SKyhawk kits from gasbike are indeed the newest 2013 SKyhawks as far as the parts go, they are just not sold as complete engines that need USA EPA stickers and engine plates because the bottom end is just a replacement part, that is why the cylinder, head and piston are in a different box, it is all just parts.

Why?

Nationwide's 2010-2012 EPA certification was not renewed for 2013 so they can't send their newest complete engines here so they just don't assemble them but all the parts are the newest improvements they have made.

Since the EPA is no longer an issue some parts have changed.
A chrome exhaust pipe with less restriction and no silly heat guard and NT carburetor opposed to EPA friendlier CNS are two of the key none EPA parts but other more subtle changes like an entirely new fuel delivery system starting with the tank connection, in-tank filter twice as long as the old ones and an added in-line fuel filter as well as other more subtle things we noticed.

So far so good with the new ones and I am loving the price considering the last of the 2012 'assembled engine' kits are going for $100 delivered more and all I will use is YD factory engines because well, 60 some 2-stroke builds since 2009 with narry a problem tells me to stick with a good thing especially when they keep getting better.

On the down side I liked the larger CNS carb for the 66cc builds but that's about it.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Ya, well from what hear Grubee got a hold of some bad rods and engines are failing all over the world. The bottom rod bearing hole in the rod is .050 to large , failure with his rod problems started a year and a half ago . bearing failure metal of transfer port and topping gets hungry and eats a metal and engine locks up. To me DAX is #1 and I genuine Powerking would be #2. The rest well that's were the crap shoot starts for real .brnot

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The $135 delivered 'Parts in a Box' SKyhawk kits from gasbike are indeed the newest 2013 SKyhawks as far as the parts go, they are just not sold as complete engines that need USA EPA stickers and engine plates because the bottom end is just a replacement part, that is why the cylinder, head and piston are in a different box, it is all just parts.

Why?

Nationwide's 2010-2012 EPA certification was not renewed for 2013 so they can't send their newest complete engines here so they just don't assemble them but all the parts are the newest improvements they have made.

Since the EPA is no longer an issue some parts have changed.
A chrome exhaust pipe with less restriction and no silly heat guard and NT carburetor opposed to EPA friendlier CNS are two of the key none EPA parts but other more subtle changes like an entirely new fuel delivery system starting with the tank connection, in-tank filter twice as long as the old ones and an added in-line fuel filter as well as other more subtle things we noticed.

So far so good with the new ones and I am loving the price considering the last of the 2012 'assembled engine' kits are going for $100 delivered more and all I will use is YD factory engines because well, 60 some 2-stroke builds since 2009 with narry a problem tells me to stick with a good thing especially when they keep getting better.

On the down side I liked the larger CNS carb for the 66cc builds but that's about it.

While I have no idea which factory my kits have been coming from, I have also seen gradual improvement in kit engine quality over the course of building and selling bikes.
NONE of the 6 "name brand" kits (skyhawk, flying horse, GT5a) I have built were trouble free. Not one.
I HAVE built 25+ kits from ming and rose with only TWO bad coils. All the "name brand" builds had fairly serious engine failures like bad crank or rod bearings, and one broken piston when a ring snagged on a horribly cast port
I pay $150 assembled and see no reason to pay $200 plus like some of the name brand "improved" stuff.
Like I said, the ONLY "brand names" I'll pay extra for are Dax or Arrow, both companies who substantially improve the china doll engines with better parts.
Bikeberry, gasbike, grubee, skyhawk, pistonbike, etc. all just charge more for the same or worse quality stuff while improving nothing but profits for themselves.
No thank you.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
like i said ....

i will pay 225$ all day for the dax f80 balanced motor kit and 30$ extra for a puch 70cc hi hi head thats 250 $ for the best motor kit and hop up part on the market !!!

the dax motor topend is like 60 and the bottom end is 60 so 120 for a balanced motor and 30 for a puch hi comp head if you already have kit parts like tank sprocket and all that and are just looking for a high comp low vibe high rpm motor

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
OK GUYS, its like this and is the way it reallllllyyyyyy is.
DAX is the best engine& best buy for engine only out there.
After Crmachine (Fred) personal friend of mine and business associate
got his order of 6 units I spoke with about his findings after he tore down
the units. He said they needed VERY little work to be FULL BLOWN RACE READY.
And yes mine is even FASTER with his Twin Spark Plug Head & my Lightening.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
gt5 is the discontinued small port pre 2012 short stroke engine. to bad your buying that...everyone wants your money now.....my engine is 40mm stroke lol etc etc etc.
mine is a 2012 GT5-a, having taken the case apart I measured the stroke to be 38mm. Did you actually measure yours? Here's a quick test: If your base gasket is 1mm thick and your jug, from the base gasket to the head gasket is 70.5 mm tall, you have 38mm stroke, just like the rest of us. The only ones with longer ones are Foureasy's custom crank stroked to 42 or 44mm stroke, and the GT5-SR (Super Rat) which features a 40mm stroke crank. Grubees run 85mm rods (eye to eye) and the Type D (Dax, speeddemon, etc.) run 80mm rods. The Grubee's rod length produces power higher RPM than the Type D's (RS Ratio of 2.2ish). The Type D's is a bit closer to mass produced moped engines at an RS Ratio of 2.1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
OK GUYS, its like this and is the way it reallllllyyyyyy is.
DAX is the best engine& best buy for engine only out there.
After Crmachine (Fred) personal friend of mine and business associate
got his order of 6 units I spoke with about his findings after he tore down
the units. He said they needed VERY little work to be FULL BLOWN RACE READY.
And yes mine is even FASTER with his Twin Spark Plug Head & my Lightening.
I have three Dax lowers or actually two and another on the way, one of them built and running with 70cc hi hi Puch head, DAX RT Dellorto clone carb, serious port work as far as cleaning deburring, polish exhaust port and widen a little, clean up intake port and widen a little, clean and hog out transfer ports alittle, and I have an awesome custom built Lightening CDI just waiting to be wired up to make it even better.

This engine is a screamer.... fastest and smoothest china girl I have built hands down....... no other kit engine I have owned even comes close to how strong this engine pulls all the way from bottom to top end and I'm not done with it yet.

My next build will have a 6.0cc Fred head on it, port work, a cut piston from Fred and hopefully another custom CDI from my Bud Huffy D.

I don't hate on any other engines or kits because I have some others still running on bikes for now, we all have what we have and if we're happy with how it is thats all that matters, my oldest Red Bat engine from 2009 BGF is a beast of a vibrating fool...... I have not done a single internal mod to this engine, and after 2000+ miles of running the crap out of it, it still purrs like a kitten an will start first time everytime, just aint good for over 30mph or your everything will go numb and the prostate will break into about 4 pieces and try to fall out.....LOL!

Huffy D is right about the Dax Gen IV, awesome little engine and reported to be the very best there is coming out of China.

Map
reddd

Last edited: