Fasteddy in hospital...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A week ago I got an email from Steve's brother John that Steve was taken to the hospital for an infection in his knee. Apparently it had been bothering him for a good week or more and kept getting worse as he waited for it to get better on it's own. It didn't. Steve had kept his difficulty to himself, but when his brother saw his leg swollen and discolored he called an ambulance and Steve was rushed to the hospital.

When Steve was a young man he was struck by a car as a pedestrian. A VW Beetle hit him at speed right around knee level, threw him through the air and left him in critical condition. First they said he would not live, when that proved to be wrong they said he would never walk. After much surgery and rehabilitation he did walk, with difficulty and the assistance of a cane.

He worked as a wood worker primarily, restoring antiques and making reproductions. Anyone who has followed his bike builds understands that he is a real artisan with exacting standards. And he is stubborn as a mule. Don't tell Steve he isn't going to walk, because he will. Don't tell him he can't build something, because he will find a way to do it.

Unfortunately that same stubbornness kept him from getting medical assistance as soon as he was having trouble a couple of weeks ago. I'd give him a slap upside the head except he has no doubt already done that himself.
On the 9th of this month they did surgery on his knee replacing parts and draining a lot of fluid.

Since then the potency of his antibiotics have been reduced and he's getting less potent pain killers. Initially they were considering the possible need for amputation of that leg. I don't know if he is out of the woods on that or not and the doctors don't seem to know either. The last I heard a couple of days ago he is being transferred to another hospital better able to treat him.

I had John ask Steve if I could post something about his condition to you guys and Steve asked that I do that. Once he is able to go online again he will see this thread and read any comments anyone wishes to post. Steve's being a diabetic no doubt makes the situation even more serious. And being 70 or so is no help either. We old guys know that any kind of injury takes longer to heal up than when we were young.

Anyway, when I get an update from John I will pass it along. Steve could use your good wishes, prayers, healing energy right about now. I'm sure he looks forward to being on line, catching up on all the great builds going on and when it is possible, for him to get back to work on his fabulous Indian Tri-
Car.

Hey Steve... heal up buddy.
SB

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you for the update sb and steve you are in our hearts and prayers. heal rapidly and hope to hear you are doing better soon

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. We are glad to be informed of these things even when they're not particularly happy. We're a loose family here and it's good to be informed. So thanks to SB and thanks to Steve for giving the go-ahead.

So heal up there, Steve. We'll be rooting for you.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
He'll have my prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery too. Here's hoping that if each prayer said for him places him one step closer to cured, we'll have him up and walking (or riding) in no time.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Steve, you know you're in my thoughts. We go way back.

Silverbear, keep us informed, please! And thank you for letting us know about this.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Silverbear thanks for the update
Steve get well soon. I will be praying for your quick recovary...............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I got some good news today from Steve's brother, John...

"Steve is doing ok. They've readjusted his PICC line, so it isn't in as far as it was and eased up on the antibiotics. He's still in the local hospital and will be transported up to another one just for a few hours Thursday, so that they can tailor a antibiotic cocktail to serve his condition best. He's walking around his room a bit with a walker, but mostly spending the time in his bed or wheelchair.
John"

That's all I know at this point, but it sounds pretty good, you guys.
SB