Thatsdax f80 making funny sounds

GoldenMotor.com

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
I am still in the break in process of my f80 kit from thats dax and so far i am pretty happy with it. i have roughly 10 miles on it now. i am running 32:1 amsoil saber right now and will switch to 50:1 after a few tanks. i took it for its first ride beyond the neighborhood yesterday and opened it up to see how fast it could go. i noticed at higher rpms the motor makes a loud lashing sound or a chattering sound. the motor never made this sound before and i dont know if i should be worried. i am running the sbp shift kit and my bike topped out at 38 mph. .wee.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I am still in the break in process of my f80 kit from thats dax and so far i am pretty happy with it. i have roughly 10 miles on it now. i am running 32:1 amsoil saber right now and will switch to 50:1 after a few tanks. i took it for its first ride beyond the neighborhood yesterday and opened it up to see how fast it could go. i noticed at higher rpms the motor makes a loud lashing sound or a chattering sound. the motor never made this sound before and i dont know if i should be worried. i am running the sbp shift kit and my bike topped out at 38 mph. .wee.
Usually break in is around 20 to 1 and then 32 to one, with the mix you are
using and the fact that your obviously WOT within the first 10 miles I'm not
surprised get ready to buy a new motor

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
32:1 was recommended by pablo from sick bike parts. The bike runs fine and starts fine it is just making a funny sound at a certain rpm

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
32:1 was recommended by pablo from sick bike parts. The bike runs fine and starts fine it is just making a funny sound at a certain rpm
is that low rpm's or high rpm's, if high then the rings are expanding and probably
scratching the cylinder walls, it takes about a hundred miles or so before a new engine is broke in, and you will find that what I said about oil mixture is
pretty common knowledge around here, among hundreds of riders.
use google search for oil mixtures. as far as break it in hard or break it in soft
that is an open debate here all I can say is 7000+ miles and I'm still riding mine
20 to 30 miles a day IMHO
also is noise coming from engine or shiftkit?

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
The chattering is coming from around half WOT. I have not been WOT yet with the motor. That's amazing that you have 7000+ miles on your bike. I live 6 miles away from my work and would love to commute with this bike everyday. What engine do you have?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
The chattering is coming from around half WOT. I have not been WOT yet with the motor. That's amazing that you have 7000+ miles on your bike. I live 6 miles away from my work and would love to commute with this bike everyday. What engine do you have?
a 1997 grubee 49cc it's a great little engine, bought from the original
spookytooth back when Roland owned it, those were rebuilt by him
with all new bearings to begin with $225, just had to do a rebuild and in the
next week or so I'll start a new thread with all sorts of pics, I want to finish
testing my headlight design before posting, I don't like posting to quickly
and then not having it work out LOL :)

as to the oil I really would bump it to 20 to 1 for the first tank or two
then drop back to 32 to 1 and one thing to consider with the oil is weather
conditions, out here it hits 115 in the summer and I'm at sea level or close to,
so I run my oil a little heavy in the summer don't want to burn the engine,
but I have found that you can let the spark plug tell you, listen to what it has to say.

what size rear sprocket do you have? stupid question duh it's a shift kit lol

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Opinions on oil ratio and synthetic verses non-synthetic are as varied as the users. I've never had a problem breaking in using an oil that is mixed at 100:1. There are many, many experienced builders who break in at 32:1 and then move to 40:1 after a couple of gallons.

I'll ask the same question that was asked above. Are you sure the noise you hear is coming from the engine or the shift kit? If you're really concerned and are sure it is engine noise you might want to contact Duane (Dax) and talk to him.

You might also check a thread I recently put up regarding the primary gear. If it is defective it can/will cause some pretty strange noises, especially at high speed. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=479779#post479779

Tom

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
oh and you"ll probably find that half throttle will be the sweet spot
when she's broken in, it sounds like your getting to the point where
your hitting full power and the rings are expanding to their max,
but keep in mind with these motors it could be any of a number of things
and until you take the whole thing apart and play around in it's guts you'll
never know, but by then you'll be a true junkie hahaha:)

needle bearings, main bearings, clutch, sprocket off center, magneto, oh my!!! ROFLMAO

Here's the Original Desert Rat, and how is this for a slogan?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Taking an engine apart that is still in warranty will assure that the seller won't honor that warranty. And don't think they won't be able to tell if the engine has been disassembled. Check with your seller before you "play around in it's guts"

Tom

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Taking an engine apart that is still in warranty will assure that the seller won't honor that warranty. And don't think they won't be able to tell if the engine has been disassembled. Check with your seller before you "play around in it's guts"

Tom
This I do agree with!!! but just the same:)

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
But you have to dis assemble the engines when you get them....... These are 100$ engines, who cares about warranty.........

All the engines i've had all make different noises.....Although, the last one I got from bgf is a super silent machine.....I have 2 more of this model coming to see if its an upgrade from previous ones ive got from him.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But you have to dis assemble the engines when you get them....... These are 100$ engines, who cares about warranty.........

All the engines i've had all make different noises.....Although, the last one I got from bgf is a super silent machine.....I have 2 more of this model coming to see if its an upgrade from previous ones ive got from him.....
Just curious as to why you need to disassemble a new engine. And a warranty might mean a lot to a man on a tight budget.

Tom

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Just curious as to why you need to disassemble a new engine. And a warranty might mean a lot to a man on a tight budget.

Tom
I didn't take mine apart new but then I went to roland's shop in bisbee
and watched him do it. how else do you know whats in it before build?
bushings bearings what?
Oh and do remember Dax bills these as made in America, I would be interested
to see if it's the standard Chinese cr** or if he actually rebuilds them
and I don't think pulling the jug or any of the cover plates to look would violate
the warranty, especially since you are not supposed to return them once
gas has been thru them, it's the law hazardous material.
besides if photographed and dax lied free engine time ;) ;) file a dispute
vendors not supposed to lie!

Straight from bikeberries website and they pretty much all have the same rule
because of the law

BikeBerry.com allows returns on products that are in new condition and are returned in the original packaging. "New condition" means that the product has not been installed, fueled, started or ridden.

http://www.bikeberry.com/returns-policy
hey you asked:)
besides what good is a warranty when they pull this.
Um you've had gas in it? sorry we can replace a part but we can't take it back
once gas has been in it.

But what do I know I only got one free engine because of Cr** like that
If we don't hold them accountable who will? and if a bad one goes out of
business because of their false claims is it really a loss to us?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The reason I do not suggest to people to disassemble a new engine is two fold. The first is as I stated above; it will void most warranties. The second and more importantly is because all you need to do is take some time a read the questions and comments posted here by a large number of first time builders. Many of these folks have little to no mechanical skills. They see a motorized bicycle and feel that it is a simple device that takes little, maybe no mechanical experience to master. Because "Its only a bicycle. How difficult can it be?"".

They join our forum for help and advice and read the suggestions for them to disassemble their engines before installing them and what do we end up with? A poor guy/girl with a box full of parts that he/she has no idea how to put back together correctly. Their seller won't take it back and now they're stuck with a couple of hundred dollars down the drain and blame this forum for the bad advice. That's not why we're here.

We try very hard to give the best advice and help possible to the new builder with the expectations that they are not old hands at turning wrenches and fabricating. Yes, there are many who have lived a life as mechanics and the knowledge necessary to build a successful bike. Unfortunately they are not the majority judging from the questions I see here daily.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a first time builder who's not sure which end of a screwdriver to use and facing the prospect of taking his new engine apart then reassembling it correctly. "Torque wrench", What's that? "Press in new crankshaft seals?" "What's a seal? Where does it go and how do I press it in?"

Give some thought to the advice you give and try to get a feel for the experience level of the questioner. You'll be doing them a favor, not a disservice by offering advice they can use instead of adding to their confusion.

Tom

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
The reason I do not suggest to people to disassemble a new engine is two fold. The first is as I stated above; it will void most warranties. The second and more importantly is because all you need to do is take some time a read the questions and comments posted here by a large number of first time builders. Many of these folks have little to no mechanical skills. They see a motorized bicycle and feel that it is a simple device that takes little, maybe no mechanical experience to master. Because "Its only a bicycle. How difficult can it be?"".

They join our forum for help and advice and read the suggestions for them to disassemble their engines before installing them and what do we end up with? A poor guy/girl with a box full of parts that he/she has no idea how to put back together correctly. Their seller won't take it back and now they're stuck with a couple of hundred dollars down the drain and blame this forum for the bad advice. That's not why we're here.

We try very hard to give the best advice and help possible to the new builder with the expectations that they are not old hands at turning wrenches and fabricating. Yes, there are many who have lived a life as mechanics and the knowledge necessary to build a successful bike. Unfortunately they are not the majority judging from the questions I see here daily.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a first time builder who's not sure which end of a screwdriver to use and facing the prospect of taking his new engine apart then reassembling it correctly. "Torque wrench", What's that? "Press in new crankshaft seals?" "What's a seal? Where does it go and how do I press it in?"

Give some thought to the advice you give and try to get a feel for the experience level of the questioner. You'll be doing them a favor, not a disservice by offering advice they can use instead of adding to their confusion.

Tom
I agree with you in theory 100%, now here's the but
I don't care how much reading you do, until you actually dig into it
so you know what your talking about you never will learn or develop
mechanical skills to carry forward, talking from experience here
and you never answered my question
what good is a warranty when they won't take it back once fuel has been
in it?
oh and he wasn't clear as to whether he put the kit together himself
I would assume a modicum of mechanical aptitude if he did and it's running
especially with a shift kit even I haven't attempted that YET!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's been my experience that 90% of issues with any given vendor could be resolved by polite communication between buyer and vendor. Calling the seller and screaming about replacement is NOT a good way to get your issue resolved. Most vendors hear too many B.S. stories to be very trusting. Take pictures, state your case POLITELY, and above all else, BE NICE! Mentioning how you heard about the good customer service in this forum might help too. Don't yell and threaten lawsuits and demand free stuff unless you like being ignored.