thatsdax rip-off

GoldenMotor.com

savanne

Nov 17, 2010
AZ
Rip-off Alert for Thatsdax:

I bought a Super Titan engine the end of May 2012, couldn’t get it started for 3 days and contacted Duane at Thatsdax and told him the engine was lemon. He claimed the engine couldn’t possibly be bad and thus a 9 month saga of him accusing me of being an idiot and a litany of either of him avoiding my calls and emails or repeating the same inane excuses blaming me for the engine’s condition. The engine is hard to start, with the carb that came with the Titan it won’t idle, (you can’t adjust the idle mixture with that carb) with the other two carbs I have you can adjust the idle and the engine will idle for a while but will eventually die, and stall on acceleration, and at 3/4 throttle the engine will die sounding like it is starving. But the plug is not white or grey, it is black with thick carbon build up suggesting incomplete combustion.
After 7 months of hounding him he finally agreed to me shipping the motor back to him; he received it on Jan 9. I never heard from him for 5 weeks; he did not answer emails, phone calls and skype calls or messages – stonewalling me. When he finally answered his phone (forgetting to check caller ID apparently) he got livid with me for sending the engine to him “in pieces.” I had taken off the new carb I bought and the external exhaust, (He had kept telling my problem was with the carb and fuel system – so wouldn’t he want to clean the carb or use another carb before testing the engine?) He was going to charge me labor for putting on the carb and the stock exhaust – a task that would take 5 or 10 minutes! In emails I told him either the valves had not seated properly, there was a weak valve spring, or that the ignition timing gear was installed one or two teeth retarded. To check these things you would not need the carb and exhaust on the motor and should have been done these things first.
He also claimed that he would have to charge me $30 in parts because I hadn’t included the bolts for the muffler nor the foam for the air cleaner. He also claimed that the plastic shroud for the muffler was broken and that the air cleaner was broken. I never even used the muffler, having installed the exhaust system I purchased with the engine, which buy the way he did not include the bolts for. I had filed off the lower tabs on the air cleaner cover so I could remove it while the engine was installed due to clearance problems with my frame. However the air cleaner cover was in perfect working condition. None of these issues should have prevented him from checking the engine; in fact I asked him if had used parts for these things around his shop, which of course he did. More over, as you will see from emails below, I told him that unless he did a compression check on the engine and was able to verify that ignition timing was accurate he would be wasting his time.
It is now Feb 24 2013 and 10 days since I last spoke with on the phone and nearly 2 months since I sent the engine back to him. I got so aggravated with him continuing to berate for being such a “disrespectful jerk” for sending him the engine back without the carb and exhaust attached that I finally told him that after 9 months I was tired of his runaround and told him to just refund my money. He hung up on me and has not responded to any communication; I can only conclude at this point he plans to stonewall me and burn me for the price of the engine and for shipping it twice!
What follows are pertinent excerpts from emails showing the nature of the runaround and insults to my intelligence he has subjected me to: (Duane asked for photos of my install when I first contacted him back in June. He wrote back telling me my gas tank was rusty. I replied:) “I had a standard HS 4 stroke on this same bike for 2 years mounted the same way with same tank etc. The tank is coated on the inside and bright and shinny. Never had a single problem with that engine and there has not been a speck of rust or dirt in the float bowl of the carbs.” (Duane avoided me for a month or so and finally responded to an email asking me to send photos of the install again,) “I already sent the pictures you ask for, but here they are again.” (The inline fuel filter was obvious in the photos but Duane wrote back): “I do not see any type of fuel filter between your tank and carburetor. Since you have no fuel filter between tank and carb, I would suspect you have debris in your carb. Some of those tanks will have rust and this can ruin a carb fast.” (I wrote back to Grady sending a close up photo of the fuel filter.) “Not only is there a fuel filter in line in that photo there is also a filter in the fuel shut off valve on the tank. The fuel line and filter are transparent and there has never been a spec dirt or rust in the fuel line or carb float bowl. The tank is absolutely clean inside. It's not starving for fuel because the plug is black with carbon. I have boiled my old carb and the Super Titan carb and soaked them in carb cleaner twice. And then I bought a new carb; the engine still runs the same regardless of which carb is on it. I have bought new spark plugs and kept checking the valves to make sure they were adjusted right. I’ve changed the carbs back and forth, changed magnetos, and spark plugs numerous times; the engine runs the same regardless. I told you the engine was bad right after I installed it. I need you to replace this engine, that's what I need you to do. Why would I ask you for a new engine if this one was OK? Duane, I started racing go-karts as a kid and motorcycles when I was 14. I’m 65 years old and have owned 15 boats in my life and worked on 2 stroke and 4 stroke outboards and gas and diesel inboards and rebuilt a number of engines from the crankshaft up; it is my sincere opinion that this engine is a Chinese lemon!” (He kept asking me to send photos of my install, as if I didn’t know how to mount an engine) “Duane, here are the photos you requested; I'd already sent these to you several times. After switching back and forth between the carb from my old engine, the carb that came with the super titan, and the new carb I bought from Helios I conclude it’s not the carb or anything in the fuel system like you keep insisting. I thought the coil/magneto wasn’t putting out enough juice so I bought a new one of those too. I can’t check the compression because my automotive pressure gauge is too large to fit the small spark plug whole on the engine, but either the timing is too retarded, and or the valves or valve seats were not ground properly, or a valve spring may be defective. The plugs keep getting fowled indicating incomplete combustion; so either the valves never seated properly or the timing is too retarded. Chinese quality is notorious for poor materials and sloppy machine work; either they put the timing gear in a tooth off or that the valves and seats were not properly machined.” (after 7 months of emails and phone calls in which he kept giving me the royal runaround Duane wrote to me): “Why are you waiting 7 months to employ a warranty that is 90 days? You are 4 months past your warranty period. Why would you not seek warranty help during your warranty period? You could have sent the motor to us during your warranty period and we would have taken care of it. Each Titan is load tested at the factory for proper operation and signed by our test engineers. This is also required by the EPA to be load tested and then data submitted to EPA. If you were having problems it right away it makes no sense for you to buy 100 bucks worth of parts when shipping costs around 20 bucks to ship a warranty motor back to us.” (I wrote back:) “Duane, I have bent over backwards trying to fix this engine because you kept giving me the runaround! I’ve done everything you have suggested. Here is the first email I sent to you on june 9 and all of the emails that we have sent back and forth for 7 months. The record of our emails proves that I starting asking for a replacement engine from the very first weekend when it took three days and a whole can of starter fluid, changing carbs and magneto just to get the engine to fire, ...”

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
ThatsDAX has a pretty rock-solid reputation for good quality products and great customer-service. You're old enough and apparently have enough mechanical knowledge to know better: insist on an in-warranty replacement...end of story. It seems unlikely that DAX would have such a good reputation here and you, a new member with only 2 posts, would have as hellish an experience with DAX as you describe. Based on reputation, DAX wins.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I concur Dax is rock solid. He had a motor that was apparently running but becauseOne statement says it ran but would not idle.. he took the engine apart and messed with it, it no longer runs. With the idea that it was a carb issue. So the answer was to completely disassemble the engine for a carb problem. If I got a engine back in pieces I would be disturbed too.

Another statement says there was no inline filter. We got no pictures ether..

There is holes in all this to me. One of which is the warranty date expired and well...IMHO there is a lack of mechanical skill here.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
ThatsDAX has a pretty rock-solid reputation for good quality products and great customer-service. You're old enough and apparently have enough mechanical knowledge to know better: insist on an in-warranty replacement...end of story. It seems unlikely that DAX would have such a good reputation here and you, a new member with only 2 posts, would have as hellish an experience with DAX as you describe. Based on reputation, DAX wins.
Fo'Sho'
Looks more like a rant to me...sent the engine back in pieces with stuff ground off ect?

oh boy.

That'sdax is one of the, if not the best when it comes to customer service.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
a finger over the plug hole will tell you if it has compression. but dax keeping the motor so long after receiving it is somewhat disappointing. dax should repair the motor [how hard is it to do?] and get on with it. and if he was insulting... dax's not the christian way. i have talked to dax before and he was a nice guy [hard to sell if your a azz hole] but some people change if they have to kick out time or money that they have put into their pocket. i think its called greed. hope they work it out. dennis

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sometimes the way a person writes a email or letter makes them seem to be demanding or that they are pushing the vendor to respond the way the person wants. I'm not saying that the op did this I'm saying that it sometimes happens.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Ya Dax is rock solid and like SBP they have no problem helping if they can.The problem here is you started tinkering and replacing parts.Then you sent it back.You did not send the motor back in the same condition that Dax had sent it to you.Maybe the same parts that had all been messed with...Warranty is no longer good.If you sent it back without messin with it you would not be in this situation.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
a finger over the plug hole will tell you if it has compression. but keeping the motor so long after receiving it is somewhat disappointing. dax should repair the motor [how hard is it to do?] and get on with it. and if he was insulting... dax's not the christian way.
Pretty sure you missed the point. He had the engine and screwed around with it, then sent it back partly dis-assembled, and with "ground off" parts.

Then comes here, post the same rant 3 times and wants us all to feel sorry for him.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would have to agree... sending it back in pieces & with ground off parts isn't cool at all. :(

Duane has built a very good reputation for himself because he has always gone out of his way to take care of his customers... So when I read here about how you were sending him emails, calling, sending FAXes, smoke signals & throwing rocks at his bedroom window at night... It really makes it look lilke you might have been the one who was being a bit of a problem in this situation. :/

It really would've been much better to send it back to him in good condition & fully assembled so he could see how you had it set up (& try to figure out from what he's seeing, what you were doing wrong)?

Who knows... maybe you actually did get a bad engine & had a legitimate warranty issue?, but how's he supposed to figure that out from a box of dirty beat up parts??? :(

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i did not think the motor was apart. just the carb and exhaust, i thought he said dax told him the carb was dirty 3 day's from new? you guys are backing dax and if norm and goat say he's honest thats good enough for me. myself i would have taken it apart and fixed it [timed the cam, lapped the valves? then you know the motor. my problem is ''IF?'' dax really belives all his china motors are tested and certified and he's never had a turd?[how could he they have all been tested] as far as grinded parts give him those parts back, i guess he should have bench run it first like they do at the factory in china. but really we dont know what happened. as we all know some people [or wife's] are never satisfied too. maybe just try'n to get over...

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
We don't know the full details, but my dealings with Dwayne, he has been honest and backs his products. I've never had a problem getting a hold of him either Email or telephone. He always has returned my calls. He has even helped out forum members who bought products from his competitors. How many other vendors are willing to do that.

How you deal with people will determine the kind of customer service you get. Garbage In Garbage Out (GIGO) is an old computer acronym that helps me when I deal with people. I try to be polite, courteous and patient. Usually I get what I want.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Big Blue, you gave me a laugh...just tonight, I was going to use the term FIFO to describe how I plan to manage my helmet-cam videos. I didn't think anyone would get it.

savanne

Nov 17, 2010
AZ
I confide my post is a little hard to read with a lot details etc, but: I never said I took the engine apart. And since when does having the carb and muffler off mean the engine was “in pieces.” Having the shroud, magneto, flywheel, and clutch, and splitting the case – that would be an engine “in pieces.” Prior to posting I read all the posts regarding Dax and it appears he’s a ‘rock solid’ guy when it comes minor things; I didn’t see anyone saying that he made good on an engine warranty though. Bottlom line: Duane gave me the runaround and avoided making good on the warranty by constantly blaming me for the condition of the engine. I had to send him the complete history of our emails to get him to finally, after 7 months of BS, prove to him that from the very beginning I was asking to him to replace the engine. And then I jumped through all the hoops he suggested as far as the carb and fuel system – and you call that messing with the engine. If you think he’s such a rock solid guy why don’t you call him up and tell him to do the right thing and honor the warranty instead of stonewalling me now. I would gladly have sent the engine back without “messing with it” (buying a new carb and magneto is hardly messing with the engine) if Duane would have agreed to it instead of putting me off.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try buying ANYTHING (boat engine, motorcycle, car, ect) and taking the carb and muffler off, "grinding parts ect. and then returning it.

Try it. Let us know how that works for you.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
savanne, post all the emails. their's alot of people show up here to serve their agenda and you are one of them. right? i have no problem with that, BUT its you against him, and he seems to be a honest guy. not one person has said anything bad about dax. this is a hobby and putting motors in different frames sometimes require grinding i dont think savanne wants a new muffler. if i bought a new sbc and changed the carb and headers i dont think it would void the motor they forgot to put the oil pump pick up tube in. in fact they took it apart, fessed up and gave me a upgraded motor. chit happens1991 dennis