Four Wheel Project

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
This is what I'm duplicating, with the help of my grandson. It's his 73 IHC Scout II 4X4.

Got it all drawn out on wraping paper 1/3 scale.

Not really using a bicycle motor but some of the forum members showed some interest. We'll call it Scout III.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Basically starting out with a garden tractor as the foundation.

Stripped all the non essential parts and sheet metal off. Just left enough to test drive.

It uses a vertical shaft 5hp B&S motor with belt primary going to the pulley of the gearbox. The gearbox is just a forward/reverse. It's chained to the rear axle. Already removed that stuff for renovation.

I replaced the solid axle with a differential I had laying around. Now it turns without scuffing the rear tires. Had a set of go-kart tires We're using.

Here's some goodies that will be added, including a steering wheel instead of the tiller, a couple of bevel gears to make the steering shafts, a cool old Hurst shifter, a Max Torque clutch, some better tie rod ends and rear axle ball bearings to replace the bushings

That's what I have so far. Need to shorten the wheelbase about 3'', figure out the overall drive ratios for the speed we want, make the steering and supports, replace the front axle with a walking beam for a little flexibility and get new front wheels. Then we can start thinking about making the body. Fun project that will take a while. Anybody else out there making four wheel stuff?

bucket

Aug 9, 2009
Ft. Wayne, IN.
Thats a good lookin Scout. I do not see many around here and they were made here (Ft. Wayne, IN) What is the make of that mower? Good luck on your project and keep us posted. Don B.

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I bet your garage is brimming with cool one of a kind builds.....
Sort of a Jay Leno collector of equally unique motorized gadgetry.
Awesome ...brains+parts+spare time= full garage

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thats a good lookin Scout. I do not see many around here and they were made here (Ft. Wayne, IN) What is the make of that mower? Good luck on your project and keep us posted. Don B.
We looked all over the tractor but found no name or ID plate. It may be under some of that red house paint, so we will probable never know. Although if I get online, there's probably a forum for these.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I bet your garage is brimming with cool one of a kind builds.....
Sort of a Jay Leno collector of equally unique motorized gadgetry.
Awesome ...brains+parts+spare time= full garage
Well, I do have a stand up Maytag engine powered scooter made from plans in a 1934 Popular Mechanics article. Also a collection of Maytag twins and singles, a full scale wooden model of a 3hp hit and miss engine, 4 B&S powered bicycles, an old school go kart, etc. etc. Hey that gives me an idea. We've got threads on occupations of members, I'll start a thread asking "what other interesting hobbies and collections do our forum members have?'' Now to figure what category to post in. Any clues?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Awesome project. The things you learn during this project will certainly benefit non-kit motorbike builders.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Back on the Scout III project. Made some new axle hangers to keep the 1/3 scale. The old ones on the left had bronze bushings and several height adjustments. The new ones have ball bearings and are fixed height.

Assembled the rear axle setup to see where I'm at. Need to cut a proper length chain and remove some metal for tire clearance. Also need to slot the deck for the chain and may need a smaller pulley on the bottom of the gear box as it's real close to the chain. The kid wants a little more top speed anyway. Got the crankshaft pto turned down to 3/4'' and had a keyway cut so my centrifugal clutch will fit. The gearbox cleaned up real nice and showed little wear inside. Going to drill and tap the axle ends to retain the wheel hubs with bolts and washers. .

Got front wheels coming from Northern Tool next week, so I'll be making the front axle soon. It will be a walking beam with overhead steering. I'll post photos as I get more done.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Had to trim some of the gearbox mount for tire clearance and slot for the chain. It comes pretty close to the pulley but I may redesign it later. Will be working on the front axle and shifter next.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Started fabbing up the front axle today. The old one is at the top of the photo. Next is the front frame cross member, then the new axle cut from 1X3 rectangle tubing. Will have the round pieces welded onto the ends and the bushings pressed in. 1/2" bolts for king pins support the spindles made from 2X4 tubing with 3/4" bolts welded on to hold the wheels. After axle is assembled, it will be attached to the frame member with a pivot in the middle to travel over uneven ground. Some stops to limit deflection and a tie rod with ball joint ends and more stops for steering. Experimenting with a homemade rack and pinion set-up. Will let you know how it comes out. Also working on the overhead steering shaft to clear the motor. This project is getting to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to start on the body.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Okay, it's my Friday off and I got some stuff done on the Scout III. More mock-ups to measure things. Looks like a 6" gearbox pulley to replace the 7" will give me the top speed I want, along with the autoclutch which is 1/2" larger than stock and also benefit with more chain clearance.

I turned a piece of 2" round stock down to 1". The remaining 2" part will be milled flat on opposite sides to be welded into the frame member and end up protruding out the front as the axle pivot. The axle will ride on the long bushing with the thrust washers front and rear to keep it straight. Retained by the bolt and another large washer.

Got the front axle welded together and installed a sleeve in the middle to pivot on. Had to drop the spindles down a couple of inches to level the ride height. Found a piece of 1/2" SAE for the Tie rod. Still have to finish the spindles.

Now for the hard part. I saw someone use a chain and sprocket to create linear motion from circular. So I drilled 5/16" holes on 1/2" centers in a piece of 1/2" square tubing and cut out where the sprocket will engage. Cut a bunch of 5/16" pins and had them plug welded in place through more holes drilled in the back of the tubing. Then found a piece of 3/4" square tubing for the rack to slide in, cutting a section out for the sprocket. The 8 tooth sprocket will be welded to a 9/16" piece of drill rod giving about 4" of travel and take some of the strain off the shafts with one full turn of the steering wheel. Need to figure how to mount it and attach to the tie rod.

[

Waiting for new piston rings so I can build the motor.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Back on the project. Drilled and tapped the rear axle ends to hold the hubs on.

Pre-assembled the front end to check clearances.

Got the articulation correct for the walking beam front axle.

Now I can concentrate on the steering. Lots of fab work. Still waiting for some parts for the new motor.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Today I drilled the hole in the center of the front frame member. Bushings go into the hole for the steering shaft to pass through to the rack and pinion. Also put in sharpened bolts to scribe a line in the axle to determine the location for the slots to be cut for the limiter stops. The stops will be threaded to use as nuts on those bolts and protrude into the slots.

Made brackets to mount the front steering tower to the frame. The tower is made from a trailer tongue jack.

I used the jack because of the two bevel gears that allow the steering shaft to go from the steering wheel straight forward and then straight down through the frame and into the pinion gear. I made a nice little cover from aluminum to keep dirt out when I grease the bevel gears.

Tomorrow, more drilling, cutting, turning, welding and then more photos.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey, SB. I'm having a ball. Even put my bikes on hold for a while. The real fun will be the body, if I can get through all this engineering for the steering. Still has to be tested after I manufacture it. The guys at work don't go on this forum, so they just see bits and pieces. Don't have a clue what I'm doing.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
looks like its really shaping up though. will be cool if you get a seat in it and cage it up and really make it look like a mini suv.

almost want to say you should only make it 1 wheel in the front or the back to make it street legal as a MB xD.

could make it a center mount with the back wheels and have the frame lifted in the back so the rear wheels don't touch the ground, but look like they're there.

unfortunately you're well past the point of that being an option.

still will be a very cool project but can you imagine the look on someones face if they pulled up next to you and saw in that thing and it was street legal?

looking forward to you eventually getting this finished. gonna be awesome :)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
All intreresting ideas but too late to change now. I have a master plan that can stand a few revisions but nothing too drastic. I already had to re-think the steering a few times. Gets better with every change. Bought a piece of 3/4" I.D. X 36" thick wall tubing today from McMaster Carr to make spacers from. Will probably use most of it. Got the slots cut in the front axle for the limiters. Trimmed a little more of the gearbox mount for diffy and chain clearance. Prepped some parts to be welded for the steering. Painted the rear wheels gloss white to match the fronts. Hope to get the steering all mocked up in the next couple of days.