What other hobbies or sports do you have besides motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Re: What other hobbies or sports do you have besides MBs?

My sports are long distance bike pedaling on a motorless bike--i do a lot of kayaking we live between 2 big beautiful lakes - i do 2-3 hikes per week or cross country skiing--gardening(my business for 31 years)--i do lots of computer time---i had a pet medication site--i read --only when the weather is real poor.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

Say Easy Rider,

If ya wanna know more about it, it's a UH-18SPW from Universal Hovercraft.
Bob Wendt sells plans, kits, unfinished prop's, etc for building one of these.

Check his web page:

UH-18SPW Hoverwing : Universal Hovercraft, The World Leader in Hovercraft Technology

Hovercraft and WIG's are an outgrowth of the helicopter and huge flying boats such as the German
Dornier DO-X (1930) which once flew. After WW2 Sir Christopher Cockerill developed the first hovercraft in the UK but in the USSR the Soviets were developing their "Ekranoplan's" (WIG's). The Soviets built huge ekranoplans which were operational in the early 1960's such as the KM (Caspian Sea Monster) and many other variants. Of course the USSR claimed most of the science and technological spoils of WW2 from the Germans making the American & Uk's share look like a small cut of the pie. The USSR's secrecy in the cold war days allowed little info to be known by the west. It leaves you to wonder how much of this kind of stuff was really in Hitlers war chest that didn't materialize. The Germans had flown to Argentina in the thirties just above the waves pioneering the "ground effect" lift to extend the fuel milage of their huge craft.

But the UH-18SPW is kinda like a hovercraft and ultralight WIG merged together. These are built of
wood frame, wood skin, construction foam, and fiberglass resins. Often snowmobile, ultra light aircraft, or automotive motors are used to produce these. You don't need a pilots license as you
technically don't get off the ground...you stay in ground effect. You'll still need a boat license and insurance is a good idea. Operating these away from crowds and enthuastic onlookers is also a good idea. I had some unattended kids jump right into mine like it was an amusement park ride once but they were like four year olds. I even watch the times and days I ride my motor bike to this day as a result of some of my past experiences.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

well since moving to the Caribbean i guess my hobbies other then motorized bicycles are scuba diving and snorkeling. it's a whole different world down their. been diving a few ship wrecks and things like that and its a blast. its one of them things you see on tv and figure if it is half as cool it would be awesome. however it is twice as cool then any tv show could ever depict. i friggen love it

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Work, oil, learning to play bass, work, hike, work, work some more, wake up and go to work. Sometimes while working I watch TV.

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California

skateboarding as much as i can. Playing banjo and bass and harmonica. Want an accordion.

Sailing my little boat in the summer and fishing. 1st thumbnail

and then varnishing and painting boats at the boatyard, but thats work, but i love it.
This is AIDA. 3rd thumbnail

Last boat i varnished. First boat i got to do the final coats on. She's from 1932 if i remember correctly. If anyone is a fan of wooden boats you'd know Herreshoff, who designed this and many many great boats. Woodenboat magazine is published where i live, Brooklin. My town has 8 boatyards and 5 are wooden only. If you love boats, wood boats its a great place to visit.

This is RED HEAD, new build actually fiberglass hull, only one the yard ever did and we won't due another. Fiberglass boats aren't boats. The owner already wants a new boat and he;s back to wood. 2nd thumbnail

Attachments

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

Work, oil, learning to play bass, work, hike, work, work some more, wake up and go to work. Sometimes while working I watch TV.
Yeah, I hear ya ! In recent years it's work, go to the grocery store,
work around the house, go to the grocery store, cook, and sleep. I do get to
watch the people boating when I turn around and look out the windows.

Fortunately one can have a TV or Radio or message board going some between jobs.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

Work, work, work, work some more, wake up and go to work.
You can add me to this list. I've been working 55-60 hours a week. I sucks but I have to hang in there because of this sucky economy. My company laid off two of my co workers two months ago and now the rest of us have to pick up the slack.
If it wasn't for this forum...I'd go insane!!!

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008

Camp, fish, tie flies, build small wooden boats, play cribbage. That along with building the bikes just don't leave much time for work.

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri

got a coworker who builds boats, he has shown me some of his work and described a few projects- these are pretty cool. I got to the point of considering building a canoe but just haven't made the final committed steps to getting underway with that. I used to be into RC gliders and apparently his wife has a canoe built from thin plywood cross sections with fiberglass type spars (not fiberglass though, like tyvek or something else much tougher and mnore flexible) and its all cover with the same heat shrink monocote type skin used on my gliders. He says its funny when they exit a river and a couple guys offer to haul the canoe out of the water for her. She politely declines, then with one arm plops the 15lb. canoe on top her shoulders and walks off.........

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: what other hobbies are you into

R/C aircraft, designing and building them, ultralight aircraft, photography, "exploring" old buildings, motorcycle travel, restoring things (just about anything).

Not in any particular order.

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.

I like to shoot and reload. I cast my own bullets. I also fly RC aircraft and have a Cadillac powdered airboat. I completely rebuilt the engine it is now 509 cubic inches.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi

Flying hotair balloons,auto weapons,harleys,welding,collecting vintage honda mopeds and motorcycles.HARLEYS DAD

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

I used to have a 58 Plymouth Belvedere but that got too expensive. I also participate in sport Fencing. (No, nothing to do with chain link or picket!)

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

I like to fly and work on airplanes, ride motorcycles, make music, golf, fish. What is really fun is going over to Norms and listening to him cuss. He's real good at it. :D.............................

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

i used to customized my cars and trucks-but i sold them,now i work on computers,and electric and gas bikes.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa

restore/ hotrod cars, do some computer work, some metalfab.. fishing...

here is my latest project.. just a body on restoration, nothing special, lots of stuff done wrong by previous owner, I'll redo it correctly in a few years but for now, I just want to drive it.. 1951 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe 4dr sedan, 1 of only a few that remain as powerglide 4dr fleetlines, most were 2dr's or stylelines.. Matt's 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline it hasn't been updated in a couple years.

here is a fairly current picture. have to reshoot the primer, then it's going purple.. this MB thing has taken up some of the time I should be working on it.. carshow july 5th.. I'm registered.. it's really not that far from being done. it is mechanically sound

Last edited: