NC newbie

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome,
We have some protection from spammers so we don't allow posting links until you've become an active member of the forum. Make a few more posts and we'll be happy to see what you want us to see. I see by your profile that you're a retired gunsmith, tinkerer and fabricator. You've come to the right place if you're interested in motorized bicycles. Try introducing yourself without posting links; at least for a short while.
Tom

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I noticed that. It was just my normal signature line of my personal website link. I didn't realize it would be a problem here but no biggie. I just won't use it here.

What the original message was is that I just installed a 49cc pocket bike engine on my tadpole trike. I had been using e-motors for the last five years but I'm really tired of dealing with batteries all the time. So far the engine has proved out to much more useful and fun to ride.

Here is a couple of side shots of the setup. It runs through the regular chain line so all seven rear gears work.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
See why we like new members and their pictures? Thanks for being patient with us and sharing those photos. You said you are a tinkerer and you've proven it with that innovative build. We don't have that many 3 wheelers show up here but we do see questions about them occasionally. I'm sure you'll get some regarding your trike. Thanks for sharing and feel free to post the link you wanted to after several more submissions to the forum. Welcome again. Ride safe, have fun.
Tom

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I also built a delta version last summer but this one is currently using 2 wheelchair motors in a 24v system with 2 12v 33amp mobility scooter batteries . It will get a 49cc too as soon as I can afford to get another engine. It's just a bit heavy though for the small wheelchair motors (I think they are only about 300w versions) and it will only go about 12 mph so I'm going to switch it It handles like a gokart though and will go around a 90 degree corner full speed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
O.O

Wow man, you build neat stuff! I'm real glad you decided to join us and share your work, I'd love to check those out more.

Welcome to the place :D

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
One of the things I really like about this forum is the creativity of it's members, bringing diverse skills and backgrounds to motorbicycling. A lot of clever folks here and I see you are one of them. Welcome.
SB

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
It's not as much about creativity as it is being disabled and having to live on SS disability. I can't afford to buy commercial stuff so I HAVE to build it myself if I want anything.

The delta started out life as a old fashioned upright three wheeler I got off of freecycle. The only things I kept was the front tube for the forks and the rear axle and that was because it had a differential on it. The rest of the trike was built basically around that axle.
The back frame is made from bed rails, the main boom is 1 7/8" exhaust pipe and the rear cargo box is made from 3/4" emt and aluminum siding material.(my son does that stuff)
The lighting system came from Harbor Freight, and is just truck type 12v side markers and two of the small so called "spot lights" they sell that have a magnet mount. I removed the magnet mounts and made regular handlebar mounts for them. They make excellent headlights and only cost about$6 apiece which works well with my very small shop budget.

It uses matching controllers that both hook to one throttle and two small wheelchair motors both driving through a single jack shaft. It has 5 different chains on it at the moment which is one of the reasons I plan to take out the e-motors and install a 49cc like I have on the tadpole trike. That will get rid of two of the chains. You can see the building pictures for that one and all the other ones I've built on my home workshop website once I've posted enough that they let me post it's link ;)

Lee