Help me decide which engine to get next

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Hi so I have a cheap China girl 66cc with the internal cdi that's broken in and has good power down low but is running like crap on top end, only getting 24mph out of it. I know me and my bike are quite heavy so I would like to get a new stronger motor with external cdi but not sure which I should go for. I have about $600 budget but don't really want to spend it all on a motor but I could. I'm looking at the dax little evil motor, Jake's speed racer, or the most expensive of the bunch the arrow 5hp motor. I'm looking for recommendations on both motor and cdi. Thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seen some of those super rat bottoms with H2 top ends - should go faster, but the top/bottom miss match seems to hurt them some - seen a few blow rod bearings like they din't line up properly

seems like most any good motor would go faster

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
True. I'm leaning more towards the dax motor with the hd lighting cdi. I really want a quality motor and when I bought my kit I didn't research it that much. It would've been cheaper for new to buy everything separately since I've just about replaced everything in the kit.live and learn right. The dax motor seems like a good choice and will keep me around 300 and I've read nothing but good things about his motors.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
True. I'm leaning more towards the dax motor with the hd lighting cdi. I really want a quality motor and when I bought my kit I didn't research it that much. It would've been cheaper for new to buy everything separately since I've just about replaced everything in the kit.live and learn right. The dax motor seems like a good choice and will keep me around 300 and I've read nothing but good things about his motors.
Get the dax motor, but don't bother with the HD lightning CDI. I have one, never noticed any difference and the sucker started cutting out on me on the top end. This was on a mildly modified motor where I should see SOME difference with it. Save the $$$ and get an expansion chamber or something that will actually provide you with some actual differences in performance.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I have the sbp pipe. I'll probably go with the dax and a stock cdi. I have the sbp spark plug wire I can reuse as it's still working and not that old.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Get the dax motor, but don't bother with the HD lightning CDI. I have one, never noticed any difference and the sucker started cutting out on me on the top end. This was on a mildly modified motor where I should see SOME difference with it. Save the $$$ and get an expansion chamber or something that will actually provide you with some actual differences in performance.
Ditto.
Check with (call) DAX about warranty issues if you use an aftermarket ignition. If you're not concerned about a warranty go for it but don't expect any noticeable performance increase over the stock CDI.

Tom

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Thanks looks like I'll stick with the stock cdi especially to keep the warranty. I'm liking the dax so I'll probably go that route. I'm sure it'll be much better then what I have now

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
I just called dax. I am buying my first kit, and with all my research, I was certain a standard kit would leave me with a pile of parts I neither wanted or would ever need. That phone call allowed me to substitute the parts I wanted, pay only the difference in price, and have a kit that's perfect for me. Coming from an outfit with a good reputation, my decision on which kit to buy became very easy.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
No sorry I plan on using my old motor as a test subject to take apart, maybe port the jug and just to have some extra parts. These motors are so cheap that you're better off getting a brand new one.unless you wanted to do what I plan on doing with it. The motor has also been stored outside in the rain and the intake and exhaust are open so it needs a rebuild and might even be rusty inside I don't know.