The End of Race Cars?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...our-car-for-racing/ar-BBpiaxz?ocid=spartandhp

Wow. I haven't raced cars for years and this doesn't really impact me personally but isn't this just a bit over the top?

What does concern me is the possibility that they might try to go retro-active and block registration or licensing
of cars that already have modified engines. Converting my hot rod's engine to comply would be impossible. The cylinders have been bored. How do I put that metal back in? :)
Tom

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Somebody had better take them to court over oppression of cultural norms.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have the dribbling idiots contemplated the widespread unemployment if all the tuners and suppliers are suddenly redundant?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Looks like the laws here in CA that apply to modifying the engine or related components. Only CARB approved modifications are allowed, they come with paperwork and placquards. It limits the things you can change and companies need to have their products tested to be approved. I doubt that this will have an impact on actual race cars, because they don't need to comply to road car emissions law. It won't effect classic cars either, mostly it will prevent cheap turbo or supercharger kits from being sold for street use. The products will still be legal for racing uses, because the sanctioning bodies for track events have the final say what's allowed on track. It is unfortunate though, it's nice how there are states which don't disallow modifications like forced induction and racing engine builds, in CA you need to choose your chassis carefully which means usually building a classic if you want a street hot rod. Most production based spec road racing classes don't require using a lot of engine modifications, and the stuff used is basically for racing only so it shouldn't be banned. I could see this affecting the drifting and drag racing communities, which both use modern street legalish cars and benefit from major power adders. I guess when you can go to a dealer and buy a 500 hp car, the law really won't have much effect on reducing street racing, it will just be pushed upscale.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
He'd probably, you hope, be on the side of the small workshops that exist to serve racing; certainly he needs reminding about the classic American "little guy".

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'd still want it clearly engraved in stone, track racers of any variety are to be perrenially exempt from environmental oppression.

Q: what about those who take part in Run What Ya Brung events? You have to drive it there, are you allowed to modify, remove or bypass the controls at the events and reconnect afterwards for road use?

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Worst of it all is, if something like that passed in California it would spread across North America faster then the Black Plague. There wouldn't be a government agency in the U.S. or Canada that wouldn't be tripping over their feet to get it going if California has it.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Worst of it all is, if something like that passed in California it would spread across North America faster then the Black Plague. There wouldn't be a government agency in the U.S. or Canada that wouldn't be tripping over their feet to get it going if California has it.

Steve.
Just wait until NBC Nightly News get's a whiff of it. They'll tell you that if you attend a car race you'll be dead in a year from the effects of the "lethal exhaust emissions from race cars".

Tonight they're warning you about flying on commercial jets with people using cell phones and laptops. The batteries are going to explode and kill you. Good Grief!

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
They can just take a toke off my 2 cycle's expansion chamber!

Sometimes I think 'they' choose to elevate topics of little consequence that will rally some kind of 'support'.......guess it makes 'em feel like they are doing something. The fighter jet fly-over of a single race will probably emit more pollution than the entire race series in a year. Oh, yeah.....that doesn't count.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

The world has been has been seized by a Chicken Little Syndrome. The Sky Is falling, The Sky Is Falling because the government said so and Fox News has proof with an exclusive interview.

Steve.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you read the whole thing through and you're familiar with west coast emissions laws, then this new power grab isn't so alarming. That is not to say that increased regulation is justified in this case, performance cars being a small percentage of traffic, but I doubt that it will affect anyone except those trying to use race cars with modified engines on the street. I figure it would affect auto crossers, drifters, and drag racers the most. I've been working in road racing for a long time and honestly, the spec racing classes don't really use a lot of engine modifications, and Spec Miatas, E30's, and others can actually pass smog if catted and tuned. Formula cars, sports cars, stock cars, and other fully committed race cars don't really use any parts regulated by CARB since it's not required, your registration is with your racing sanctioning body, which is primarily concerned with the safety, track worthiness, and sound limit of your car.

Like I said, CA smog laws are basically the same as this new one that they would like to apply nationwide. It will basically make it so you can't install non CARB approved parts on street registered cars. It really won't affect trailered race cars at all, only cars that are kept "street legal" to be driven to the racetrack, and street racers looking to make more HP with forced induction, or NA with revs, compression increase (NOX), and cams (HC, CO). You can still maintain smog legal status with approved kits that keep EGR and all the other originally equipped emissions components. There are smog legal turbo and supercharger kits, the downside being that the cost to get kits certified makes them really expensive. NA tuning can be done within reason, you can still have a clean running high performance engine with modern fuel injection. You just can't go too far which makes lots of NOX and unburnt mixture come out the exhaust. Driving a dirty smoke belching (untuned) race car on the would be unpleasant anyways, the exhaust fumes which blow back in the car can be deadly in really bad cases.

Living in CA and being a car enthusiast has led me to learn a lot about the mechanics and law around emissions testing. For the street, I've learned to avoid Smog test nightmares by choosing cars that are fun in stock form and just keeping them tuned well enough to pass. It kinda sucks, I sold a car that I love recently because smogging it has been such a pain since it is a grey market German car that was never meant to pass CA criteria pollutant levels. I sold it to a friend who had the time to tune it to a fine degree in order to pass the test. With the money I picked up a newer car with OBD2 so it's easier to diagnose all the emissions components. The good trade off is that CA smog forces you to keep your car in good tune, which is good for the engine and the driving experience. It's unfortunate when you need an expensive item to pass the test, like a new catalytic converter, but after a certain dollar amount the state can provide assistance with repair costs. Some people like to run without a cat, I don't because the exhaust smells awful from a straight pipe four stroke car. Some engines are exceptionally raspy like high revving four valve engines, and they can kill cats from vibrations quickly, those cars sometimes need a test pipe or an expensive metallic substrate catalytic converter.

In the end it's worth it, but it can be pure **** when you're caught between a rock and a hard place trying to smog a daily driven 1976+ tuner car. It would be nice to live in a world where people would be trusted to take it as their personal responsibility to keep their machines tuned, and not forced to comply.

Last edited: