Wildlife

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't live in the city, Denver, but in the foothills just south and west of it. We see wildlife a lot; foxes, coyotes, the occasional deer and such but this morning I got a treat.

It was just after 8AM and I was setting on my back porch having my morning coffee when a bull elk walked past my back yard. Sorry I have no video or photos. It happened so fast I didn't have time to go in and get my camera.

He was a full grown guy with a formidable set of antlers and he didn't seem concerned in the least that there were humans with phones and cameras following him. He strolled past at a leasurely pace, went up into my neighbor's yard and nibbled some of his grass then disappeared around the corner.

Our neighborhood is near a major Denver thoroughfare, Wadsworth Boulevard, and I have no idea where this guy came from but he seemed quite comfortable exploring the yards and sidewalks of our area. Folks were concerned for his safety and I found that touching. Some tried to 'heard' him toward the park a half block from my house but he resisted and went his own way. At least he was heading away from the fast moving traffic on Wadsworth.

It was just a cool experience that I wanted to share with everyone. It was something you don't see everyday in a busy metropolitan area of town. Beautiful creature for sure. I hope he's safe wherever he went.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Cool sighting, Tom!!

The only 'citified' elk I've ever seen were in Banff, Alberta.

Speaking of wildlife, how are your 'yard rats' doing? :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cool sighting, Tom!!

The only 'citified' elk I've ever seen were in Banff, Alberta.

Speaking of wildlife, how are your 'yard rats' doing? :D
Ha, ha, yard rats, or tree rats? The tree rat population is down thanks to Mr. Crossman.

Mark,
I was sitting where we sat on the back porch the day you and Sue were here when that elk walked past. It was funny because he was on the sidewalk and not in the street. I guess you'd call him an 'urban elk', or at least street wise :)

Tom