Headlight?

GoldenMotor.com

Nick Kluger

Jun 24, 2015
Berkeley, CA
Hi,
I have a 80cc kit and I was wondering if it is possible to power a headloght with it. The engine has a white, black and blue wire coming out of it and the CDI box has blue, black and green wires coming out of it. I connected the black to black and the blue to blue and it runs great but what do I do with the other wires? And is it possible to run a light of of them.

Thanks,
Nick

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
one cannot use the white wire to run a headlight or anything else without screwing up ignition - best to cut it off and tape up the end so it doesn't short to ground

never saw a CDI with a green wire

tzvii

Jun 23, 2013
sc
If your magneto coil is the type with a secondary winding, then you should be able to power a light. I have have a 24 LED front light and a 24 LED rear light that are powered from the white wire on my coil which has both the high voltage spark winding and a lower voltage generator winding.

You can tell if your coil has the secondary winding if the soldered ground has two wires from the coil. The coil with just one winding will have only one wire going to the soldered ground connection.

Most of the newer coils I have been seeing are the type with only one winding; the white wire on these ones is simply soldered in parallel onto the high voltage spark coil. This means that if you try to connect a light to one of the coils with a single winding, the light will take current from your spark and the engine will likely not fire.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are pages of discussion regarding the infamous 'white wire'. It is generally thought that the white wire can only be used to power a light that draws less than 3 watts. Anything over that and you'll have ignition problems and the engine might not idle with the light on. Most/many of us cut the white wire off at the magneto coil and don't use it for anything.

Some will say to use it in the kill circuit, wiring it to the kill button and the other wire from the button to case ground. The jury is still out on this, some saying it can damage the magneto coil although no hard evidence of this has ever been posted here.

Here's some reading for you> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=white wire&gsc.page=1

Tom

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I have used the white wire before to power a 3w head/taillight. Really not bright enough to light your way very well and I wouldn't recommend it for that, but if you want to be seen for safety reasons...it works ok for that or at least I thought mine did ok. I didn't really notice it interfering with the way the bike ran from what I remember. Here is a video I took a few years ago...so you can kinda see the output I was getting out of the white wire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8LiU-Pn4k0

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
Gasbike. Net sells a extra 12v genarater that attaches to the magneto for $15 bucks or so.
I haven't tried one but I was thinking about it