hot hot hot

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
dax f80 or pk80 or whatevs. slant head bpr7hix irridium plug. 90 deg outside air temp. rt carb 74 jet puch jamarcol exhaust
getting so hot so fast. after about 2 minutes hitting 330F

74 jet in rt carb already seems so big. do i need to go up a jet or up a plug to 8 series. someone must know how to keep the temps down

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
dax f80 or pk80 or whatevs. slant head bpr7hix irridium plug. 90 deg outside air temp. rt carb 74 jet puch jamarcol exhaust
getting so hot so fast. after about 2 minutes hitting 330F

74 jet in rt carb already seems so big. do i need to go up a jet or up a plug to 8 series. someone must know how to keep the temps down
I use a trail Tech cylinder head temperature gauge on 3 of my bikes. I have messed with the jetting on all of them and played with the needle setting in the carb too. The spark plugs screw though the transducer pickup loop on the Trail Tech.

I know a lot of folks say that 330F is too high, Frankly I see those temps all the time. I do a lot of long rides. I have seen my gauge max out at 500F on long hill climbs. I run 50 to 1 premix and I have NEVER had a problem. My bikes don't even start to run right until they get to 225F. I do however run NKG in everything. Either a B7HS or a B6HS. I also turn the motors pretty tight too. Almost every bike I have has a 46t drive sprocket.

I tried to keep the temps below 350F as part of my tuning thing but gave up and relied more on plug chops and how the motor ran and really ignored the temps.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've never taken temp of my bikes or any of the 6 or 7 hundred bikes that have been in for repairs over the last 5 or 6 years. Seen many seized due to lack of oil, or to bearing failure, but not one with characteristic tiny aluminum bb-looking debris of over-temp - don't plan to worry about it now.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
TTo cyonder head temp sensor on spark plug. On my racing motor it takes some time to get hot at the 300s but this one is getting way hotter way faster. I guess I'll recheck gaskets but it is idling ok. Just thought someone might have seen this before.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
The studs are too short for my Fred head. These studs are m8 1.0 in the block and m8 1.25 on the head. Plus my fred head hasn't been modded yet to take my temp sensor

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Bought some sick bike 8 x 1.0 studs but have shelved that engine in favor of a new freds gt5l. Looked and my intake gasket was leaking a bit too so next reincarnation of that engine will have a new gasket on it