How do i replace the clutch pads???

GoldenMotor.com

evogav

Nov 15, 2008
UK
Hi Guys,

After buying a new Starfire GT4 to replace my old GT4 boneshaker, the new one had grease all over the clutch pads. I reported this to transformercycles (a very decent UK seller) who sent me 15 replacement clutch pads free of charge.

Now all i need to know is how to replace the pads - It looks like they are glued on - is this right???

Gav

evogav

Nov 15, 2008
UK
I do have a puller come to think about it - it came with my first full kit. Got a day off work tomorrow so ill get to work on it.

Saying that though, after I de-greased the pads last night, it has definitely improved today. Still slipping a little on startup though. But with the amount I've adjusted the flower nut, I've only got barely half an inch movement in my clutch lever now.

I think ill look at replacing the pads and adjust the clutch spring tomorrow to be on the safe side...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. you can just pry them out and pop the new ones in. you don't need to pull the whole clutch assembly apart. just take off the flower nut and the spring and plate and leave the gear on.

some people suggest trimming the pads down so they "float" inside of the holes but i haven't tried it.

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
yup. you can just pry them out and pop the new ones in. you don't need to pull the whole clutch assembly apart. just take off the flower nut and the spring and plate and leave the gear on.

some people suggest trimming the pads down so they "float" inside of the holes but i haven't tried it.
thanks man i'll remember it when comes time to replace those. thought about making some out some scrap rubber of the same thickness i think i read sumwhere here sum 1 did that

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

The friction material bits should NOT be pressed in! Make sure that they float in the gear holes...otherwise you will not have a full clutch engagement.

Every kit engine, From new, should be checked for this! So many, slipping, clutch complaints could be solved if people would just take the time to ensure that the clutch friction material was engaging both the inner, and outer, clutch surfaces. I've created so many posts regarding this that it is incredible that it isn't common knowledge!

Jim

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I had read a posting where you were working with better quality clutch material. I was wondering what the status was?

The friction material bits should NOT be pressed in! Make sure that they float in the gear holes...otherwise you will not have a full clutch engagement.

Every kit engine, From new, should be checked for this! So many, slipping, clutch complaints could be solved if people would just take the time to ensure that the clutch friction material was engaging both the inner, and outer, clutch surfaces. I've created so many posts regarding this that it is incredible that it isn't common knowledge!

Jim

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Creative Engineering: I noticed this recently and modifyed my clutch pads by sanding them lightly on all sides. VASTLY improved my clutch. Also I had a clutch with red pads, those are praticaly press fit in and where not 'flat' in the clutch, producing only tiny contact wear areas.

Reactions: Twixx91

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
blackmoons said:
Also I had a clutch with red pads, those are praticaly press fit in and where not 'flat' in the clutch, producing only tiny contact wear areas
Yea, I had that too. It was like they were jammed in. They squawked like a drunken mother-in-law till I cleaned them up to float, then they were fine. Lets keep this tip handy ^_^!

Reactions: Twixx91