A new commuter from Yamaha.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Electricity, the fake friendly fuel. It still takes generating, it still needs all the damage associated with creation, extraction of fuels AND all the destruction to the world involved in mining for the raw materials (some toxic in themselves) and then transporting them to places of manufacture.

And they still haven't arrived at hydrocarbon range or ease of use by the consumer. I will be interested in electric vehicles when they give me an analogue of an existing product or an improvement upon it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
No, no, Ludwig. You mis-understand.

This is a 125 cc gasoline engine.

Like you, I'd be less enthusiastic if this were electric. Though I admire electric drive trains and have high hopes for them, the fact that they are not anywhere nearly in a position to replace gasoline makes them no more than a novelty. Maybe that will change. But I'm not inclined to place any bets on it.

Over-hyping the promise of electrics serves, in my opinion, to do more harm than good to the concept of sustainability.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
In that case, I suspect it's a shared concept/rebadged design with Yamaha and Piaggio both involved. We've had the Piaggio version here for a few years now.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
i dont like that its an over complicated feminine bike/ when the only other stuff yamaha makes has a toilet seat installed by the factory.

i like the derbi senda 50cc but i cannot understand why its not 80cc. im tired of being led around by the nose. 1 person in a suv is perfectly fine. or a 823cc harley bigbore.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Derbi/Aprilia come in bigger sizes in different markets. If you buy the bits to go bigger, my personal experience is that you'd be very well served by getting hold of a complete 125 fork assembly, as the standard 50/80 forks aren't really up to being ridden hard.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The one problem I have with bikes of this sort is the lack of cargo carrying capability. Unless you're in a very dry, and temperature stable, climate then you'll only be able to ride perhaps one day out of five if you're not able to carry a few different items of clothing plus rain gear. On top of that you need a little extra capacity to carry groceries or other items you've picked up while running errands.

If I had one, I'd make it work. I'd drill through those fiberglass panels and install mounts. And I'd strap duffel bags and such to those mounts. Yet it looks like there's not a lot of space to work with there. Cargo could be an issue for me.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Without checking on this one, I can't be certain, but most of the modern scooters have space for a helmet and rolled waterproofs under the seat as standard. There's probably a small load area behind the passenger part of the seat as well.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't really have a problem with the modern, aerodynamic look.

But I could also see myself stripping that stuff off and giving the bike a more boiler-plate look. Nice round turn signal/brake lights, etc.

I probably wouldn't try for fear of making it much more ugly than Yamaha did. But I could be tempted toward it.