GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I like it. I think I've seen something or other about the ELF before. But I'd forgotten it.

I am dubious, though, about the claim that it can be pedaled at 20 mph and can get 35 with mere solar panels. Ideal conditions and very short durations, maybe.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That would be an excellent project. Solar panels are cheap now and you need a roof and that's the perfect place to put them. Electric motor driving through a freewheel powered by a Lithium battery. Drive to work, park it out in the sun all day and drive home.

Brilliant!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like it. I think I've seen something or other about the ELF before. But I'd forgotten it.

I am dubious, though, about the claim that it can be pedaled at 20 mph and can get 35 with mere solar panels. Ideal conditions and very short durations, maybe.
I would guess 35mph would involve full electric power plus pedaling til your pants catch on fire.
SB

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yup. Pedaling 'til your pants catch fire. :)

But don't let me sound too negative here. The mere fact that a person plus small motor could pilot that little vehicle at 35 is, actually, pretty impressive. In real world conditions it won't be quite so easy. But that's a given for now.

Give those things a smooth and safe path and you'd have a very good vehicle for moderate getting around.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Speed is not important. It's the same as with my Hercules tricycle, it enables to me to carry far more than I could on my back and at a more brisk speed than walking.
The advantage the Elf has over my tricycle though is that it has a roof to keep off the rain which does tend to happen a lot around here ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But as always, and like I've said before, why do they design these things and make them so gosh darn butt ugly? Why can't they use just a little imagination and try to design something with a little class and style? They all either look like eggs or something from the 'Cars' movies.

You could use the same mechanics under a skin that would appeal to people, at least to me. I wouldn't be caught dead riding/driving one; the same as I feel about a 'Smart Car'.
People who own them have absolutely no self asteem or respect. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
In my neighbourhood you would make the evening news with one.

A rider in a pedal-electric vehicle was killed the evening and was found under a Mercedes SUV that was being driven by Hong Bao Chung, 42 years of age. Witnesses said that Mr Hong immediately leaped out of the Mercedes yelling "No my Fault" repeatedly.

When asked for his drivers license Mr Hong said there was no problem. His brother would be here with his in a few minutes. Mr. Hong who is a recent arrival from China is not expected to be charged.

Mr Hong's lawyer who is with the law firm of Wee,Gottum And Goode said the the victim had no right riding on the side of the road reserved for pedal powered traffic.

Steve.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
But as always, and like I've said before, why do ....... with a little class and style? They all either look like eggs or something from the 'Cars' movies.

You could use the same mechanics under a skin that would appeal to people, at least to me.

...... or respect. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Tom
I know what you mean, Tom.

For myself, though, I'm okay with early production runs looking strictly utilitarian. They can work on style after they get the bugs all worked out.

Sometimes even that isn't necessary. There was little room to add style to the old Volkswagens. Yet they were still beautiful.

In my neighbourhood you would make the evening news with one.

A rider in a pedal-electric vehicle was killed the evening and was found under a Mercedes SUV that was being driven by Hong Bao Chung, 42 years of age. Witnesses said that Mr Hong immediately leaped out of the Mercedes yelling "No my Fault" repeatedly.

Mr Hong's lawyer who is with the law firm of Wee,Gottum And Goode said the the victim had no right riding on the side of the road reserved for pedal powered traffic.

Steve.
So..........we can ride in the road, which is our right, and risk the autos running us over. The driver, or his lawyer, says, "He shouldn't have been there."

Or we can get off the road, in the hopes that they'll leave us alone there. Some distracted driver crosses the line and runs us over. Then his lawyer says, "He shouldn't have been there."

Is there no justice?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
But as always, and like I've said before, why do they design these things and make them so gosh darn butt ugly? Why can't they use just a little imagination and try to design something with a little class and style? They all either look like eggs or something from the 'Cars' movies.

You could use the same mechanics under a skin that would appeal to people, at least to me. I wouldn't be caught dead riding/driving one; the same as I feel about a 'Smart Car'.
People who own them have absolutely no self asteem or respect. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Tom
Tom I agree completely. It's the egg on wheels aspect of most of these things that puts me off. With just a little effort they could have something that looks like this instead.

Basically this is what I'm doing with my own velocar/trike project because I refuse to submit to owning a mobility scooter. Intrepid Wheelwoman doesn't do ugly thank you very much ;)

Ludwig, I agree that's a very nice Elf :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Tom
Yeah, I have to admit, Tom has a point here. And I am a bit vain. I know I wouldn't buy one. And I know why: I can't stand its looks. And I genuinely feel terrible about it. It's so darned practical and economical. It deserves to be likable. But I just can't.
I actually am gearing up for a quadcycle/velomobile build. As I am sure Intrepid Wheelwoman and a few others can tell you all, I have become rather a fan of those little Cyclekarts. So, I've drawn up loads of plans of my own for a pedal-powed version. With classic antique race car lines. I'm quite serious this time. I've already purchased hubs, axle, spindles, donor bike, front springs, frame components, new welder, and some other stuff that's not coming to mind.
Still need 12g spokes, solid rims, tires, and stuff for bodywork. I plan to start a thread in the tavern here. Or maybe an album.
If the people who make the ELF won't also crank out something anachronistic and dashing, what choice do I have?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
So..........we can ride in the road, which is our right, and risk the autos running us over...
Or we can get off the road, in the hopes that they'll leave us alone there....
Is there no justice?
Over time I have been steadily loosing the patience required to explain motor vehicle law to motorists who do not know it. "Get yer slow ass off the road!" they sometimes yell, or something similar. So sometimes I'll stop and turn to them and ask "Where do you think I should go?"
The answer is usually "The sidewalk. Isn't that where you're supposed to be?"
Then I have to explain "It is illegal in the state of Indiana to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk." Because they see it so often, the motorists will refuse to believe me, even if I tell them to look it up. And the cops are finally addressing matters; they not only talk to the cyclists who ride on the sidewalk now, I know of one who got a ticket. So the sidewalk is out, can't afford a ticket.
We have bike trails now, but they're still a joke at this early point. The trails alongside the road - the cars drive with two wheels in them. The trails along the sidewalk - people walk two and three abreast on them and act offended if a cyclist wants to go around them. Some will even tell you to "Get a car!"
I didn't start by liking our mayor, but he endeared himself by going out of his way to make the town more eco-friendly, bike friendly, pedestrian friendly, wind, solar, you name it. But a large amount of the populous is still not ready.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A few miles from home there are some gloriously wide cyclepaths separated from the road from the 1930s, but I see them being used as car parks and access roads, and cyclists ignoring this still superior haven and riding on a major arterial route to the very great detriment of their safety.