kit torque specs

GoldenMotor.com

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Not sure there are any torque specs for putting these kits on, but I'd like a good number so that I don't end up over tightening these bolts, screws, or anything else.

Could anyone supply me with a list of specs to torque these to? I would like, if possible, not just assembly torque specs but on engine repair as well. I think it would make a good sticky as well to have a list, for those that might be getting into it for the first time and have a tendancy to overrighten things.

Thanks in advance!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as a general rule, 6mm goes to about 60inch/pounds, 8mm goes to 120inch/pounds

these are guides for the cheap chinese metal tho & replacing with better stuff will allow higher values

be aware, that the goal is not to have the right torque, but rather to make things sit tight on the frame - if your torque is just right, but your motor falls out onto the street, you will be less than pleased

there is a skill to be learned in making fittings so nice that very little torque is needed to keep them tight - and each bike is different as to how this can be done

Reactions: Ragnar75

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Listen to Crassius. His advice is right on.
Our advice is to always use a torque wrench, especially on fasteners such as head bolts, intake and exhaust as well as engine mount fateneres. Most of the horror stories you read here about fastener failure can be traced to overtightening.

I always add that there is a big difference between "checking the tightness" and "tightening". All too often builders will try to get a turn on the wrench/fastener to assure it is tight. If it is already at the recommended torque value...don't tighten it! Leave it alone.

6mm, 60 inch pounds.
8mm, 120 to 140 inch pounds.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with crassius.
Getting your stock engine mounts to fit the tubes perfectly or using a strong secure big tube mount is the single biggest factor in vibration and loosening problems on a china build.
The flimsy stock u-bolt clamp mount included in most kits is junk.
If you are limited to this style mount, make your own using the stock plate with a HD muffler clamp welded to it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
is there a tool to measure how much torque your putting on a bolt? sry ive never heard of this
That tool is called a 'torque wrench'. Some have a mechanical dial, some are digital and some have a simple beam with a pointer. Whatever style you choose, they are a valuable tool for use on any size fastener. Over tightening is one of the most common mistakes encountered by new builders.

Tom

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
What about the engine torque specs. I'm actually starting a small business selling these and I've got 2 years experience putting these together, I've encountered a lot of fixes and many of the problems but I wanted to make a sheet listing all the specs and documented.

Shaggz

Aug 28, 2014
Kerrville, Texas
That tool is called a 'torque wrench'. Some have a mechanical dial, some are digital and some have a simple beam with a pointer. Whatever style you choose, they are a valuable tool for use on any size fastener. Over tightening is one of the most common mistakes encountered by new builders.

Tom
im assuming i can find these at just about any hardware store for a decent price im hoping

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
im assuming i can find these at just about any hardware store for a decent price im hoping
Better hardware stores, yes. I'd shy away from the discount tool and big box stores. The quality isn't always the best. A good inch pound torque wrench can be had for less that $50.00. But if it keeps you from twisting off just one fastener it will have paid for itself.

Tom

Shaggz

Aug 28, 2014
Kerrville, Texas
Better hardware stores, yes. I'd shy away from the discount tool and big box stores. The quality isn't always the best. A good inch pound torque wrench can be had for less that $50.00. But if it keeps you from twisting off just one fastener it will have paid for itself.

Tom
yea i can see that my first build i bought used, and i stripped out the exhaust threads experimenting with new pipes. sad day i had no idea where to get parts or the means to "rig" it

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
What about the engine torque specs. I'm actually starting a small business selling these and I've got 2 years experience putting these together, I've encountered a lot of fixes and many of the problems but I wanted to make a sheet listing all the specs and documented.
not meaning to belittle you in any way, but if you're going to build & sell to the general public without having a pretty good idea of tightening procedures, you really ought to hire a mechanic for the business and leave all that to him

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
No hurt feelings man, just a little misunderstanding. I was a n automotive technician, got some ase certs, and I've been building these already for two years. I just wanted to know if there is a torque spec for these bolts, since just about every bolt on a vehicle has one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Firestorm,
Earlier we gave you torque values for the most common size fasteners used on the Chinese 2 stroke. 6 and 8mm.
There are a few others like the engine side covers.
The chart below might help you. They are a little on the high side for me. I don't exceed 150 for the 8mm and I stay at or below 60 inch pounds for the 6mm fasteners. But you'll probably be safe with the chart figures. Also this chart is for steel fasteners threading into aluminum castings.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Internal engine torque specs" ?
Not sure what you mean by that. The values in that chart I posted will apply to whatever fasterners you're dealing with.

Tom