50:1 Texaco oil

GoldenMotor.com

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I just purchased one of the 80cc kits, don't even have it yet, but I was wondering if this oil would be okay after the break-in period? I have it in my leaf blower and it doesn't seem to complain about it. The main reason I ask is because I have a couple cans of this stuff and they're dated for the late 70's to early 80's and I would like to use it up because it's not worth much of anything; I actually thought it was bad at first because it's red but then I did some research on it. The attached picture is the stuff that I have. I believe that I have four or five cans sitting around and if this stuff is okay for these little engines, that's exactly where it's going. Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We don't see your attached photo but my questions would be, is this oil formulated to run a 50:1 mix? Is there information on the container that recommends it? Is it specifically made for 2 stroke engines?

Tom

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Strange, it was there when I first posted. Well, I'll try again. In case it still doesn't show up, the front says Texaco 50-1 Outboard and 2-cycle engine oil with Royal Guard SAE 40 Grade prediluted to SAE 20. The main concern of mine is that the stuff is over 30 years old at my best guess on age; I figure this because the only thing that looked like a date on them was from 1978 to 1980 and it's a pop-top metal can. The only reason I tried it in my leaf blower was that it was given to me as junk and I don't really care about it. Being I don't have a working camera at the moment, I found this picture on eBay and it's about as close as I can get. The only difference is mine say 2-cycle under outboard.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Don't use outboard oil. It is formulated differently for use in water cooled engines and is not suitable for air cooled engines.
Don't get me wrong, it PROBABLY won't damage your engine, but the right type of oil is nowhere near as expensive as a ruined engine.
Is using it just because you already have it worth the chance of blowing up your new toy?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's probably formulated for lower engine temperatures, and may chemically fail in a nice hot air cooled engine.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Thank you very much for the replies. I thought it probably would work being these engines seem to be a lot more sensitive than most other two smokers. So now knowing this, I'll get the proper oil and just burn through this stuff in some yard equipment.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, I stay away from that for the reasons given above. Heck, it might even be a collector item. Try selling it on ebay. You'll probably make enough to buy a case of good air cooled 2 stroke oil.

"Vintage, from the 70s, Texaco Outboard Oil in original can $50.00"
I've seen weirder things on ebay.
Tom

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Yeah, I stay away from that for the reasons given above. Heck, it might even be a collector item. Try selling it on ebay. You'll probably make enough to buy a case of good air cooled 2 stroke oil.

"Vintage, from the 70s, Texaco Outboard Oil in original can $50.00"
I've seen weirder things on ebay.
Tom
I thought about that, but then I saw that what I have doesn't go for much more than $10 a can.