Spring Chain Tensioner Questions

GoldenMotor.com

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
I have purchased the Kip Springer chain tensioner, and from what little I have got to use it, it is great!
The only issue I've encountered was from the sprocket teeth jumping off the idler sprocket... I switched out the sprocket, for the stock idler w/bearing, and solved this issue....
Since purchasing this type, I have seen another style...
The Kip Springer style has the mounting bracket sandwiched between the drive sprocket cover/engine case, causing it to use a longer clutch pushrod..
The other one I have seen mounts to the outside of the same cover thus uses the stock clutch pushrod (pushpin?), and works in the same fashion, yet sells for $35.00 as opposed to the $75 for the one I bought...
Anyone have experience with these?
Are the cheaper one's just as good as the spendy ones? Sooner or later, I will have to replace the clutchpin, and I didn't see them offered by the people I bought the part from...

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
try ace hardware, look for steel dowel pins in their nuts and bolts section you should be able to match up the diameter and length costs about a buck

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have also used a drill bit a tiny bit larger than the hole.
Gently pound it in until it grabs the clutch actuating arm slot then grind the end flush with the case.
A dab of JB weld if you're paranoid.

As far as spring tensioners go. I simply don't like them. I prefer everything centered and true so a spring is unnecessary.
However, if I were to use one, it would be the version offered by turbobuick here in the swap and shop.
Nice part and very good reviews, both in quality and customer service.
I've never run one myself but I have two customers who do, and both speak well of it.
Just my 2cents

Last edited: