Need a new front end

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Find a parts bike with a suspension fork and swap parts.
Parts bikes are cheap.
Just find one with the same steering tube size.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Don't go cheap. At motorbicycle speeds, your life depends on the front end not breaking. I went with a cheap springer. It broke and I hit my head hard enough to crack my helmet, and broke my wrist in 7 places. I missed 3 months of work.
I wish I would have put a Monarch on it. Spend the $150, or leave a solid fork.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
leadfarmer has a good point. I always inspect my frame and fork for cracks or bending every week or so. (I ride everyday)
It's hard to beat the monarch for durability.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
A 150 dollar fork on a 100 dollar bike? I don't know . How are the Cheap springer forks?
Hey it's your life, if cheaping out on your build puts you at risk
it's your choice, hitting or being hit by something at 30 to 40 mph
well let's just say cheap builds don't always walk away from it!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I used a suspension fork off a walmart bike I found in the trash for months with no problems. The fork did have a lot of slop in it, but I took it apart and put it back together and that took care of it. I've since built a different bike, and switched to a pair of motorcycle forks I got on ebay for $50 shipped. Too many people equate quality and price, thnking that low price always means low quality. Sometimes that is true, but you don't need to spend $150 to have a safe bike. Look around on ebay and see what you can find.

bigdbeach

Mar 16, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
I spent the weekend looking for a way to add front suspension to my bike. Today I ran across a post on Craigslist from a guy selling a lot of bikes starting at $35.00. So I call him talk a few, get directions and go out there. He has a BUTTLOAD of bikes from old to new (1930's to 2000's) needless to say I found a 26" MTB with front suspension , brakes and 1" threaded head tube. Everything I was looking for 40 dollars. And he gave me two more tires for free.