Anyone selling a better head gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Just putting another jug on my 50 because it has strange "sleeve" intake and wider studs and a carb with a jet that's not otherwise like normal NT-

ANYWAY- I've been getting some leak from the new head- felt the hot breeze and seemed louder- not performing-

I've got three gaskets here- all are supposed to be 50 gaskets I believe- yet on only one of them the material comes all the way to the edge of the head and cylinder indentation, while the other two have less material that ends a good 1/8" away from the cylinder round- only halfway across the raised metal surface on the head.

I put the widest one on (laterally, not thickness-wise), and went back to the older head that was not leaking otherwise. On a short test ride this evening, it seemed to be working fine- ready for some break in.

but a little troubled by the difference in the gaskets- not sure if I could have been sent 66 instead by mistake or negligence- and I don't want to take my 66 apart just to see! I think the wider material one is actually NOT the original, but the second of three from BGF-and counting the original one which was never any problem- Ithen didn't notice a difference when I replaced it.

But as far as it all goes- the WIDER one is obviously a better design- particularly given the raised "O" surface on the head contact point- the other two only cover half of it- a NEGATIVE situation- I'd be better off with NO raised metal section on the head to get more mating surface, from the rest of (and the most of!) the gasket. It just hangs there, not compressed as tightly.

I've been just filing the seeming troubled new head- it was leaking twice with different gaskets-

anyway I was wondering if there is a THICKER metal gasket for sale out there- the gaskets are so thin- obviously one another half or more in thickness would last longer and be more trouble free- A thicker gasket would better compensate if the raised circular metal ridge is just "getting in the way" of the rest of the gasket making contact. The head would just be getting tightened down onto HALF of that circular ring, and then NEGATING the rest of the gasket if I used those two flimsy gaskets.

I don't worry over any slight difference in coimpression. And then, the gasket SHOULD come all the way to the circular edge it seems to me, for maximum mating surface. The gasket should be designed to be flush on all it's surface it seems only logical to me- not just that circle or even just HALF that circle.

I just searched "two gaskets" on the engine, and there have been comments about having two gaskets- but that still leaves room for blow-by in the middle- if I HAD to use the other gaskets, I'd probably put both on. What is the material? Aluminum? Thinking of cutting one out of some sturdy pie plate.

All this was so I could replace the carb- and now I think maybe I could have done that on the old head and jug with a 40mm spaced billet intake, to take the NT Speed carb instaed of the original dog carb. The cost would have been about the same , and I'm learning stuff otherwise- and maybe I DIDN'T want to know it!

Looks like theres a market for someone who could make a better head gasket...

Last edited:

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi there!
I know, that aluminum gasket is about as low tech. as you can go, but I believe that so many problems we are experiencing with the 2 stroke engines is because they are running too hot! A failing head gasket is more likely due to some other problem, and it's not really the head gaskets fault. When these engines work hard, they overheat! Just look at how minimal the cooling fins are on the head! It is inadequate! The oil film inside the engine cannot hold up to the temperatures these engines reach when fitted with the stock head. I have also found that the stock heads are so flimsy, they distort and warp when they get very hot. Boom! there's the head gasket leak!

I am now making cylinder heads for the 66cc motors. Soon, I will make some for the 49cc motors as well.

After running these new heads for a while, I've noticed no more scored cylinder bores, and no more head gasket problems, no more stud problems, no more detonation problems, and there is more power.

I have a ebay store, where I sell the cylinder heads.
I wanted to share my experiences with you, at the same time, I don't want to market my product in a way that is against the policy here at Motorbicycling.com

Thanks!

zpt

-Fred

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Here is a thread that may be of interest to you....http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40926&highlight=laser+cut+gaskets

While the maker is not currently able to work with aluminum, there is another member that asked a question about making head gaskets (an answer was not posted as of the time I am writing this but it may be a thread you would want to follow or you may be able to PM the member.

Hope this help you.

Andrew

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't know why this got moved to swap and shop- I was just asking a rhetorical question and wondering why I saw differences among head gaskets and why they are so flimsy- anyway....

this thread should be back in "heads"

Last edited:

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
I'm afraid I was the one who caused it to be moved to swap and shop. I started to mention how the poor little head gasket gets wrecked all the time cause these engines run so hot, and the best fix for that problem is a billet cylinder head with ample cooling fins. Well, since I'm making them, for me to mention it is forbidden, so it got moved. Sorry, my bad!
-Fred

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Oh, thanks!
Banned? Wow, that's pretty scary. That would hurt. I have stepped in the wrong place a few times, but it's not on purpose. Since I am personally an avid motor-bicyclist, this forum has been valuable in allowing me to collaborate with other knowledgeable motor heads, so I can use my skills as a machinist to help make things better for myself, and hopefully others. These motorized bicycles are sparking innovation and ideas in many people. In my opinion, this kind on renaissance is precisely what the U.S. needs if we are to revive our manufacturing sector.

Thanks for your comments. I will take them to heart.

-Fred

.duh.