Indiana's possible new motor bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It sounds like it's pretty good news as long as bikes like we all have fall under that Class B category.

If there's any registration requirement, then you could run into trouble when the DMV (maybe) refuses to register a bike without a manufacturers VIN.

I'm only guessing about that particular type of trouble. But it would be a cryin' shame if they require you to register but don't allow you to register.

Best of luck, Hoosiers.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I too think it is all about the money. Milo Smith the one who started this is out to get anything that is not a normal car off the road. He is not our friend. Here is the link to the bill. http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/bills/house/1343/# We need a lawyer that can read through all of this, and let us know just what loop holes they left.
Well, if Milo was behind this one, I could see where the rationale of "Take the reckless drivers off the road" would just be an excuse. He is no friend of regular cyclists either from what I've heard. Looking at the link, I think our qualifying as a Class B is the closest thing to a loophole we have at present.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I too have my licenses with the motorcycle endorsement. that part of the new law does not concern me. Other than the fact it is another law placed on the public to satisfy the politicians personal goals.
The class B opens the door for us to build just about anything we want. As long as we can get it registered and insured. My insurance company at the present will not insure home built vehicles of any kind. That may change the first of 2015.
The bottom line is they pasted it now we have to live with it. Let the building begin. The next one for me will be a new sidecar bike with the predator 420cc electric start geared for about 45 mph. I will be able to ride straight up a tree if I want to. WOO HOO

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You know, Jimmy, I plan to talk to one of the local custom bike shops who build the frames from scratch; I want to find out how they do their work within the bounds of the law. I want to learn more about VINs, about how these custom bikes are registered & plated, see if they know agencies who are okay with insuring them.
I have a slight hunch that the custom shops might prove to have a wealth of information. I'm thinking about riding over on my own bike some weekend and chatting them up. And I'll be taking along a pen and notepad.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
jimmymc2286 do you mean class A, not class B in your last post. "The class B opens the door for us to build just about anything we want" good that they bump class B to 35 mph top speed, keeping up with traffic with out a ticket will be much safer.

my insurance on my bike cost $30 a year for liability. but i have a car and truck insured too.

if the law states that you have to have insurance for class A bike, then they will half to cover your bike if it is class A. if not call the state and turn them in for not complying with the law.

now to be fair my bikes were kit bikes, motor kit on a stock bike. not a custom frame bike.

as for vin the insurance co use the s/n of the bike as it vin it is uneek to the bike.

people are getting titling and reregistration confused. the bikes just need to be registered not titled so stamping some letters and numbers on it some where and it should be ok. i have never seen a bicycle with a title or the first moped and scooters. the whizzer boys will like this less hoops to jump through do not need to get it titled as a motorcycle.

I always put headlights and stop and tail lights on my bikes. better to be seen not hit. guess i need to add a horn too lol.

so it looks like we can dump the peddles for foot pegs if you want.
Don

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
You know, Jimmy, I plan to talk to one of the local custom bike shops who build the frames from scratch; I want to find out how they do their work within the bounds of the law. I want to learn more about VINs, about how these custom bikes are registered & plated, see if they know agencies who are okay with insuring them.
I have a slight hunch that the custom shops might prove to have a wealth of information. I'm thinking about riding over on my own bike some weekend and chatting them up. And I'll be taking along a pen and notepad.
Getting a VIN is easy. I have built sandrails, dune buggies, trailers and had no trouble getting the VIN and title. For our class A and class B motorized cycles we only to register them. That will be no problem. Class A will require insurance and a drivers license with the MC on it.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
jimmymc2286 do you mean class A, not class B in your last post. "The class B opens the door for us to build just about anything we want" good that they bump class B to 35 mph top speed, keeping up with traffic with out a ticket will be much safer.

my insurance on my bike cost $30 a year for liability. but i have a car and truck insured too.

if the law states that you have to have insurance for class A bike, then they will half to cover your bike if it is class A. if not call the state and turn them in for not complying with the law.

now to be fair my bikes were kit bikes, motor kit on a stock bike. not a custom frame bike.

as for vin the insurance co use the s/n of the bike as it vin it is uneek to the bike.

people are getting titling and reregistration confused. the bikes just need to be registered not titled so stamping some letters and numbers on it some where and it should be ok. i have never seen a bicycle with a title or the first moped and scooters. the whizzer boys will like this less hoops to jump through do not need to get it titled as a motorcycle.

I always put headlights and stop and tail lights on my bikes. better to be seen not hit. guess i need to add a horn too lol.

so it looks like we can dump the peddles for foot pegs if you want.
Don
Yes I did mean class A.
A few years ago I built a VW powered sandrail. Went through all the red tape to get the VIN number. When you build a car, cycle, trailer or anything that has to be titled it will get a manufactured VIN. showing it is home built. The company I had my Insurance through insured it no problem. After 6 months or so they canceled my coverage, saying the company changed their policy and would no longer cover anything with a manufactured title. That is still their policy.
I am going to check with the company I now have.
You are right though we do not need to title our motor bikes. Just register them and plate them. I have a couple bikes that are also kit bikes. I'm not sure how they are going to measure the cc's yet. But I hope they are not going to need a lot of documentation on the engines. I want to leave them Class
B.

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
i have read through the hole law 4 times now. it looks like the 3 and 4 speed Honda clone chopper bike will fall in class B if not over 50cc the automatic transmission looks to be repealed too just keep it under 35mph.

who do you have your insurance with mine is American Family $30 a year to cover my motor bike.

my friend was over he builds motor bikes too and he said you know these are not motor bikes? these are engine bikes . stop and think about it lol a motor is electrical (electric motor) (gas engine) that is the proper names humm (LOOP HOLES????) wrong names in the law.

i got a 5 hp 36V electric motor lol

i went over to this old guys house to day he has been trying to sell me a basket case whizzer. i might get it now no title needed next year. give me a year to restore it.

anyone seen the cutoff yet from class A to motorcycle?

Don

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
i have read through the hole law 4 times now. it looks like the 3 and 4 speed Honda clone chopper bike will fall in class B if not over 50cc the automatic transmission looks to be repealed too just keep it under 35mph.

who do you have your insurance with mine is American Family $30 a year to cover my motor bike.

my friend was over he builds motor bikes too and he said you know these are not motor bikes? these are engine bikes . stop and think about it lol a motor is electrical (electric motor) (gas engine) that is the proper names humm (LOOP HOLES????) wrong names in the law.

i got a 5 hp 36V electric motor lol

i went over to this old guys house to day he has been trying to sell me a basket case whizzer. i might get it now no title needed next year. give me a year to restore it.

anyone seen the cutoff yet from class A to motorcycle?

Don
If I read the laws correct. A class A is anything that doesn't meet the standards for a production Motorcycle, is designed to travel greater than 35 mph with no more than 3 wheels touching the ground, an engine larger than 50cc. Whizzer for example. Just about anything we want to build.
The more I think about it Rep. Dave Wolkins may have been our friend after all. He worked against the moped law for the last 5 years. This year he suported it with the changes we see to keep the 50cc mopeds on the road with no licenses and insurance. And he may have made it so we can build just about anything we want in the class A motorized cycle.
I am going to build me a 3 wheeled Velo cycle that is enclosed. It will meet the new law to a tee. Woo Hoo.
Jimmy

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
3 wheeled Velo cycle that is enclosed. It will meet the new law to a tee. Woo Hoo.

man you got me going now i have a honda 90cc 4 speed engine (Not Clone) and the parts to convert it to a centrifugal clutch 4 speed i was just waiting for the right bike to put it on "Velo cycle" check out the link below.

all weather 79cc comet clutch aerodynamic 200 mpg my 49cc 4 stroke bike got 144mpg

check this link out https://www.google.com/search?q=cal...PF8mryAStvoD4Cw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=793

Don

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Now you are talking. I think that would be a fine machine. I think I will use a comet torque converter driving a 2 speed, Tandem seating, tadpole type framing, Rear engine. I have all summer to design it and round up the parts. I am going to try and make it look retro, like the open wheel early Euro roadsters.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Bump.

Any new news on this?

As far as i can tell, we will have to "register" our bikes by Jan 1 still.

Anybody know any details about this, or where to get updates in this?

Being Indiana, I fully expect no progress on this untill late fall, at which point it will not be implemented by the dmv in time for new year. Then they will simply force us to be licensed as full on motorcycles, because they cant be bothered to create a proper structure for registering a non-production homebuilt.

At this point I expect the DMV and the legislators to clash on the interpretation of the law, more procrastination and noncompliance, ect

Basically, I see a major ****storm on the horizon, which will us riders in legal limbo while a bunch of BMW driving, taxpayer paid suits fight over this for political points.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi was in the BMV to day and talked to them about motor driven cycles.
they told me that you will half to get a vin number from the state to register our motor driven cycles. B or A

also she said that it will half to meet all fed requirements for as lights turn signals brake lights ect.

she all so told be that you will have to have proof of owner ship and police inspection.

and after all that indy may not issue a vin because you are not a manufacture using dot approved engines .

Don P

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Don,

I watched the video 3 times. This must be screwed up. In order to operate my motorized bicycle with a HF 79cc (3 HP) engine on it, I would be required to operate as a MDC-A (Less than 5 HP engine) since engine is over 50cc (MDC-B)
1. Need motorcycle license w/MDC-A endorsement or valid motorcycle license.
2. Bring proof of ownership ???
3. Proof of Insurance ???
4. Can ride passengers. (where, on handlebars)

My Honda C100 Supercub (49cc engine) falls under MDC-B
1. 15 years or older (no problem)
2. ID card with MDC-B endorsement
3. If license is revolked need an ID card with MDC-B endorsement
4. Bring proof of ownership (have VIN# checked and re-apply for a new title)
5. Limited to 35 MPH.
6. No passengers on the buddy seat.

Am I seeing this right or what?

Dan

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
birdmannn101 yep that's about it.

i am building a hf 79 cc also and the hard part is prof of ownership.

she told me to have a police check done and apply for a home built vin.

she also told be that indy may not go for it.

and you will half to meet all dot laws lights turn signal brake lights ect.

and indy may not issue a vin for it any way.

so sound like they trying to do a way with motor driven cycles.

i have a 1965 Honda s90 with bad frame so i looking for a new frame and apply for a title get a motorcycle endorsement on my driver license and be done with motor bicycle. i will not ride a scooter lol

Don

Last edited: