I cant keep my motorized bike inside my apartment:(

GoldenMotor.com

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Hi, last year 2013 the maintains man told on me i had it inside my apartment and the fireman came knocking at my door and said i had too take it outside and if it happens again i will have too go too count. I dont wanna leave this one outside that im almost finish because i think my first was stolen or the city took it, Because in the richmond,va you cant leave a bike tide up on a tree or pole or they can come take it and yes i call but no luck.

There are too many people infront of the building where the bike pole is and dont wanna lock it there, so i was thinking about using this other trash bike i have and some type of larger tool box and get a weld too it and take the gas tank off before i come inside.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your situation is better suited to an e-bike, but that is an expensive solution.
Would they let you keep it on the porch?
When I lived in an apt, I kept my bicycle in my car so I didn't have to haul it
up and down the steps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But then where are you going to store the gas tank?

As Wheelbender suggested, you might want to explore the electric bike. They are more expensive but in a case like yours they would be an attractive alternative to internal combustion. There is a lot of good electric information here to read.

Tom

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Your situation is better suited to an e-bike, but that is an expensive solution.
Would they let you keep it on the porch?
When I lived in an apt, I kept my bicycle in my car so I didn't have to haul it
up and down the steps.
@2door, okay

I dont have the money for a E bike:(, I live in a high rise, Im going to go to lowes and get some wire covers so the wires cant get easy cut, But i dont wanna leave it outside because last year s1 flat my tire a few times last year.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For your situation an Ebike would be the perfect solution, but of course things are seldom perfect. I've been forced to deal with the same problem several times in my life, so I know what worry you're going through.

All I can offer you are some ideas to think about.

Do you have any friends nearby with a garage you could keep your bike in?
Are there any storage facilities close by where you could rent a space for your bike?
Keep doing what you're doing, and hunt for a new place to live.
If you're forced to park your bike outside, buy a gps tracker for it.
Remove the motor from your bike.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Some members have experimented with quickly removable engines. Rear friction mount engines are best for quick removal. Tank is mounted on the engine. You just need a quick disconnect for your throttle.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
You might consider jerry-rigging a quick-disconnect, sealed and portable tank using one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Fuel-G...ect-1-4-5-16-NEW-ATV-Motorcycle-/301110732435 . Then, experiment with how far you can get with what's left in the carb-bowl after shutting off your tank. This'll give you a good idea of how far from home you'll need to shut it off to assure an empty bowl when you get there. You can then lock the tank outside...hide it...or sneak it in in your back-pack (you assume THAT risk).

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
sad thing is that using a disconnect of any kind will make it a more dangerous situation than if you could just leave the tank alone. I bring my bike in the house every night and if I so much as change a filter I smell gas for a day or two until the gas line seats in place again.

Properly installed you should smell nothing of gas when inside People bring their Harleys inside all the time if you ask me your maintenance man needs to mind his own ph@#$%^& business Tell him ...
"Your job is to fix broken thing not to micro manage people , now mind your own before your fixing your lip!"

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
You know what else pisses me off the fact you are saying that in VA you cant chain your bike to a pole of a tree to even go in a store for 20 minutes or so yet our government can blow off nuclear bombs underground in Nevada anytime they want but you as a citizen cant scratch a tree . Man they are taking away every right we have one by one !!

If I came out of a store and saw a town worker or a cop with a pair of bolt cutter on my cable lock I would treat them just like the common thief they are acting like!

I pay taxes gd it and If I want to chain my bike up I will better yet I will bring my own RAM SET & ring & chain ...man that pisses me off

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Maybe what you ought to do is just go ahead and lock it up someplace convenient outside. Lock it with three or four locks, if need be.

Chances are it'll never get stolen if you lock it enough to not make it worth the thieves effort. And maybe it will get vandalized a few times, or a handful of times over a couple of years.

But that's enough time to find a more bike friendly place to live.

It's not a great solution, I know. But partial dis-assembly daily sounds like an awful lot of hassle, too.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
leave it out side unlocked get your 500A Mossberg and when some one moves it more than 6" Blow their "BAD WORD" brains out! ..thats what you do!

My father "god rest his soul" ! put 110 volts to his door handles on his 1963 Pontiac Catalina.
A couple of times he said he would hear a scream and the lights would dim in the house. A quick trip to the door he would see them running away... several times he gave chase but he was laughing to hard to catch them !

Last edited:

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
What about some sort of lockable cover? Don't they make motorcycle covers that padlock? Of course I realize that someone could cut through the cover if they really wanted to, but I'm sure I have heard of these. You can also get an alarm for it. You might not hear it, but it would scare the thieves/vandals away.

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Thank You All, But i just leave it outside and i have a steel U Bolt lock! Plus i can look outside and see it and there traffic up and down the street most of the time!!!.

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
You know what else pisses me off the fact you are saying that in VA you cant chain your bike to a pole of a tree to even go in a store for 20 minutes or so yet our government can blow off nuclear bombs underground in Nevada anytime they want but you as a citizen cant scratch a tree . Man they are taking away every right we have one by one !!

If I came out of a store and saw a town worker or a cop with a pair of bolt cutter on my cable lock I would treat them just like the common thief they are acting like!

I pay taxes gd it and If I want to chain my bike up I will better yet I will bring my own RAM SET & ring & chain ...man that pisses me off
Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
What about some sort of lockable cover? Don't they make motorcycle covers that padlock? Of course I realize that someone could cut through the cover if they really wanted to, but I'm sure I have heard of these. You can also get an alarm for it. You might not hear it, but it would scare the thieves/vandals away.
Alarm lock would be great!!!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
If you live in a high rise, doesn't the building have an underground parking garage? I keep my bike in a garage, with the tires locked to the frame and a cover on it. The manager has seen me down there, doesnt mind.