easy fix for bicycle sprocket clearance....

GoldenMotor.com

Tucson_Toast

May 9, 2016
Tucson AZ
Being my first build' i was having trouble figuring out how to mount the engine high enough on the frame to clear the bicycle sprocket. resulting in the creation of a frankenstein type mount.It would be safe to say' after having 2 mounting bolts snap off in the block and ending up with an engine in my lap.......Suddenly simple seemed to be the solution.I just put another rear mounting bracket in the front and used the head threads from a junker instead of the short stock mounting bolts. Im sure it has been done before but it works like a champ for me and honestly am looking for any feedback as to why i should/shouldnt be running this front motor mount this way..shft.

Attachments

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Well, Your drive chain clears the frame fine looks like...
Both mounts look strong...and these 48cc engines dont vibrate bad...
And Your front tube is the smaller size,engines got the big size so You solved that just fine..
Id say You did great!

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yup! Looks good to me.

You say you're a newbie? Then you're a newbie who knows how to use your head.

You'll want to keep an eye on those studs and make sure they don't work loose. But that's true with any build.

Your drive chain looks just a bit slack to me. You ought to do something about that.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Toast, the only improvement I can offer would be to replace the studs with the highest grade tempered American hardware. But that's about it really, and only If you want to, I'm sure they'll work.

Dave, I didn't realise you're from AZ, yay us!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. Looks just fine, and light years better than some of the stuff I've seen.
Keep an eye on all the hardware the first few weeks until everything takes a set.
Then you can check every few weeks

Tucson_Toast

May 9, 2016
Tucson AZ
If you have any issues with the chain coming of you might want to add a tensioner kinda like this one there are cheaper ones out there but you get the idea http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit...ro-series-performance-spring-idler-pully.html

That's probably the best I've seen tho it is spring loaded.
Looks pretty sturdy. Have you had any experience with one. Up to this point I've been doing my best to reduce the number of moving parts. hence no tensioner