Screens...

GoldenMotor.com

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi,

England, a country so wet that even the fishes complain...

which is hardly condusive to motoredbiking - I have been drenched to the skin twice in the last week.. the being damp I can put up with - the being blinded by rain at 30mph is another matter entirely.

Does anyone have any ideas on a retractable remountable screen of some description that I can store on the bike?

My first thought was one of those clear plastic umbrellas that you see mounted in such a way as to make a temporary cowling...

Jemma xx

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Could you make a 2 piece windscreen that stays connected to the handlebars. Make the upper piece slide down when not needed. Would something like that work for you?.........................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I know that they make a few for recumbent bikes, maybe you can use one of them. For our windshelds in race cars we use lexan, you can pick them up over here at any harware store. You can get it by the sheet in any size that you may need. They are very easy to cut and work with, I dont think it would be to dificult to make one.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
The slide-down idea is good but complicated - I dont really have the tools to make one :(. looked at the recumbant parts but as with all recumbants anything is a licence to print money and I cant afford them..

The problem in the UK is that alot of the things that are easily available in the US are almost impossible to find :(

I'll work something out hopefully and let you know..

Jemma xx

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i would think you could manufacture something out of plexiglass that has hinges so it could fold down and stored when not being used and handle bar clamps on it to put up when you need. problem is plexiglass as you said is expensive and the rain on it would hurt your vision. not sure if the uk has it but whatever you get try a small piece and get some rain-ex and see if it repels the water like on glass or you will have basically a situation where you cannot see. looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a windshield on your motorized bicycle